cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set a default starting value for a Horizontal Slider?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have a horizontal slider implemented into my Xcelsius dashboard. For the sake of example, i'll say it is linked to cells in my spreadsheet that calculate it's minimum and maximum value. So we'll say the slider ranges from 0 to 100.

When the dashboard executes the slider always starts at 0, is there any way to set the slider so when I run the dashboard it starts in the center, at 50? I cannot seem to find a property for this. Also, I tried setting the sliders "Data:" property to a starting value I typed in a random cell, which does work but then the slider is stuck in that position at that value.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found the problem. It turns out you CAN hard-code a value in there, by simply typing in '50'. But what I was doing was pointing that cell to another cell, so I had '=B12' written in there. This disables the slider from being interactive. What that also means is since the value I want is dependant on what cell B12 is equal to, I cannot get a working solution for my slider. Is there any workaround for this that anyone knows of? Or possibly a patch in the future so the 'Data:' property of a horizontal slider can point to a cell that has a formula in it and still be interactive instead of Locked?

liliana_gil
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Scott, in running time, when you move the slider, xcelsius "change" the value of your referenced cell, and the problem is that xcelsius cannot change the value when this cell contains a formula. This is the reason because the slider gets stuck. I mean, cells with formulas are read-only for xcelsius in running time, this is the normal behaviour, so I don´t believe this could change in a future.

Why do you need the referenced value has a formula? Where is your data comming from? for example, if your chart data comes from a QaaWS, maybe you can do another QaaWS that retrieves only the default value and put this value in one cell. Then, you could reference the slider to that cell.

Also, if you want your chart moves with the slider, your chart need to referer a cell with a formula that points to the slider cell.

Regards,

Liliana

Edited by: Liliana Alejandra Gil on Feb 17, 2011 5:23 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's a very good point and makes perfect sense. I'll have to try and see if there is anyway to troubleshoot a workaround for this, so I can avoid the following initial screen shown at startup:

Currently:

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2109/beforej.jpg

What I'm trying to do at startup:

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/8890/afterr.jpg

Thanks again for the help!

liliana_gil
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Yes, I did sometimes something like this, you only need to create a new Qaaws as I explained before (I don´t know if you see that I edit the previous post)

Regards,

Liliana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Being that I am only using the trial to build a demo that can help simulate what Xcelsius can do for our business, we aren't to the QaaWS point yet. But if this issue won't even occur when we start bringing in data from an external source then I feel confident just explaining this temporary issue to those I will be presenting to.

Thanks again for the help, it's always handy when i'm in need of answers regarding a brand new tool i'm teaching myself.

former_member283700
Participant
0 Kudos

Very intersting thread. I have the same issue. I have a year slider and it would be great if it would default to the current year. However, I can see no way to do this apart from enter the year manually.

I'm using QaaWs. It was suggested that I could use a query to return the current year and map it to the cell that the slider uses.

Shame I have to implement another query to do this. Is there really no way around this or no more elegant solution elsewhere.

Thanks

Eddie

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

nick_vanlent1
Explorer
0 Kudos

I realize this is several years later, but it might help for others that are searching for this capability.  This can be done by using a List Box component.  You set the Insertion Type to Value, set the Source Data to the cell with the formula for the "default" value, and set the Destination to the cell that is used for the Data of the slider.  Users don't have to click on the list box, or even know that it exists, so it can be hidden behind other components.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well that's odd. I am on the same:

Xcelsius Present 5.3.0.0

Build Number 12,3,0,670

Right now I have my sliders 'Data:' property pointed to just a blank cell because that's where the value of the slider goes to, which I then use for adjusting a bar graph I have (and all functionality works). I tried once again putting '50' in that cell, but on Preview the slider is stuck at 50. Bizarre...

liliana_gil
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Scott, I´ve made a test setting the "Data" property to a cell with the value 50, and i can move the slider in the preview. Maybe a problem with your software version. This is my Xcelsius version:

Xcelsius Enterprise: 5.3.0.0

Build Number: 12,3,0,670

What´s your version?

Regards,

Liliana