cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 bit or 64 bit kernel for z/OS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All ,

We have our SAP R/3 4.7 installed in z/OS with DB2 as the database. We have recently upgraded our kernel to the latest version . The path from which we downloaded our Kernel is

My Company's Application Components" SAP KERNEL 32-BIT" SAP KERNEL 6.40_EX2 32-BIT > z/OS 32bit

Now the system is up and running but in our EARLY WATCH REPORT we are getting this particular warning

"You are running a 32-bit SAP kernel on a server with a 64-bit operating system.

Recommendation:

32-bit SAP kernels are subject to many restrictions regarding memory management. A 64-bit SAP kernel version is available for your 64-bit operating system and SAP kernel version. Consider switching to this version."

But we are unable to find the 64 bit kernel for z/OS in the download location

My Company's Application Components" SAP KERNEL 64-BIT" SAP KERNEL 6.40_EX2 64-BIT

I wanted to know if there is any 64 bit SAP kernel for z/OS ?

Are we getting a False warning in EWA , if so how to correct the error ?

Thanks and Regards

Basis Team

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_vogt
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

There is no z/OS 64bit kernel on 6.xx based systems. Just ignore this wrong warning in EWA.

Regards,

Thomas

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Thomas Vogt

brian_walker
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Better yet, why not open an OSS message and ask SAP to correct the earlywatch report so it does not show a warning for 32bit kernel on 64bit OS when the SAP version is 6.xx and the OS is z/OS? That would only make sense if they have not provided a 64bit kernel, and it sounds like they have not.

Brian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

The kernel for z/OS can't be found in the path you have mentioned . Our system is a non Unicode.

Regards

Basis Team

former_member580326
Discoverer
0 Kudos

If you've always run with a 32 bit system you can ignore the message as it is possible to run a 32 bit kernel with 64 bit OS. The 64 bit kernel should be available for download from the marketplace and is better to use on a 64 bit os.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Pls check in /swdc My company's Application components >>SAP KERNEL 64 BIT UNICODE >SAP KERNEL 6.40_EX2 64-BIT UCx

Thanks

A