cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDI Upgrade !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We need upgrade our application from SPS18 to SPS20.I am unable to find related notes on SAP service. Can of you help me in finding the actual notes to be analyzed on SAP services.

I am not sure what all documents I am supposed to look into before upgrading application.

Thanks and Regards ,

Vanita kulkarni

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Vanita,

don't worry about basic questions, just shoot if you have any doubts

As I can see the question is now whether you want to upgrade only the NWDI, or your developed software.

If you upgrade only the NWDI framework, then there's not much to do as pointed out in my previous post.

However if you have a track in which you have certain dependent SCs with say SP<X> then you can replace them by

- copying the new SP<X+1> files into your CMS inbox which you have downloaded from the service marketplace

- doing a "Restore System State" in both DEV and CONS tabs of the Transport Studio of the CMS webui

- checking in the new files (Checkin tab in transport studio of CMS)

- importing them both into DEV and CONS

(if you want rather a kind of "fresh start" then proceed as described in this blog (and be aware that you'll lose the version history): /people/guenter.schiele/blog/2007/02/12/how-to-migrate-developed-software-components-to-a-new-release-in-nwdi)

An other important thing is that you need to keep in mind that you are allowed to deploy only and only to such Runtime Systems which are also having the new SP version SP<X+1> in this example. In other words, the SP version of the dependent SCs must be equal to the version of the j2ee engines where you deploy (which you specify for the track on the CMS -- Landscape Configurator -- Runtime System Configuration).

The perhaps best blog which describes this in a very good way is:

JDI Software vs. JDI Content

/people/marion.schlotte/blog/2005/10/25/jdi-software-vs-jdi-content

(also covers what to do with your NWDS version)

I hope this is clear, let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

Thanks again.

All i know is we wanted make it comaptible with IE8 and found in SAP NOTe:1347768 that its to be upgraded to NWDS7.0,SP20.

My understanding is : only change in NWDS present @ machine will make no difference to it.hence we need to go server level upgrades.

Which includes: NWDI,run time server,Software components and also my NWDS right?any thing else apar from these things?

Our application is developed in SPS18 on server and SPS15 on developers machine.

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are running SPS20 patches on all the severs(DEv,QA and Prod). This is needs NWDI upgrade right? please help me in understanding here.

Thanks

shreyas_pandya
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Vanita,

Please go through Ervin's reply thoroughly, it covers your doubt.

Always remember one rule.

For every new release version of Application server, there's a compatible version of developer studio (NWDS).

And as per the best practice, we should always work in the version homogeneity as explained earlier.

So, If you are upgrading you EP server from...

version 7.0 EhP(A) SP(X) to version 7.0 EhP(A) SP(Y) ,where X < Y then,

you need to download the same developer studio version too, from SAP service marketplace.

And yes, all your existing projects will still work in the upgraded environment, as it is backward compatible.

You may encounter the obsolete warnings for certain projects,

but still you will be able to build and deploy your projects successfully without any compilation errors.

Also remember, that if you have NWDI in your landscape,

then, as a part of upgrade (in your case SP16 to SP20) you need to download the same version of .SCA files from SAP service marketplace and paste it into CMS transport directory (<specified in the domain tab>\CMS\inbox) in order to make these dependencies available for your tracks.

and then update all your tracks runtime systems, (Dev and Cons) with this latest version of SCAs that you will be using as a build time dependencies in your track SC as descibed in below mentioned procedure.

Step-by-step procedure for adding the new release of build time dependencies to your track.

1) Open the following URL to access NWDI web interface www.http://<hostname>:<port number>/devinf

2) goto Change Management Services

3) Open System Landscape Directory

4) Click on Software Components

5) Here in the Filter give your Software Component name

6) after the serach is over select your SC in the table and the below displayed tabs goto Dependencies.

7) in the Context dropdown chose "BuildTime"

😎 click on "Define Prerequisite Software Component Versions"

7) In the Name column of the table search for the standard SC dependencies that you desire (for e.g. SAP-JEE, SAP_BUILDT, SAP_JTECHS) and then add one by one as a dependencies.

😎 once you are done with this, go back to the 2nd step mentioned above.

9) Goto the Landscape Configurator link.

10) Chose your track inside the table on the left side.

11) goto the Domain Data option, Click on the "Change" button, and then click on "Update CMS" button (This may take some time)

12) once the CMS Update is finished, open the "Track Data" link that is beside "Domain Data"

13) Now click on the "Change" button, from the software component (SCs) table remove the WebDynpro SC, and add it back once again.

14) Save the Track Data.

15) Now goto Transport Studio, make sure your track is selected in the table

16) In the Check-In Tab select all the components displayed in the "Check-In" button.

17) Once the Check-In operation is completed all those component will now be queued up in the Development Tab,

18) In the Development Tab select all the components & click on "Import"

19) Once the Import operation is completed all those component will now be queued up in the Consolidation Tab,

20) In the Consolidation Tab select all the components & click on "Import"

21) Now come back to your NWDS and remove the configuration that you have imported previously and then again load the same configuration once again from the SLD.

You can repeat the same procedure for all your tracks present in your landscape.

Please revert in case of any further clarifications.

Regards,

Shreyas Pandya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

I have read almost all of you reply. I just have one thing to confirm.

we have SAP Netweaver 7.1 Ehp1 SP9 and we want to upgrade it to SAP Netweaver 7.1 Ehp1 SP13.

Do we also need to upgrade our NWDI. We just have once custom build applicaton in NWDI which is build using GP , WD JAVA and CAF.

Thanks a lot

Regards,

Krishan

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Krishan,

no need to upgrade NWDI, see this blog:

Regards,

Ervin

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Vanita ,

there are no special considerations that need to be taken into account before doing NWDI upgrade. NWDI is just a framework. Within each track you can develop any version of applications as long as the required build plug-ins content imported are correct for certain development technology. The build plugins are the JDI content which does not depend on the NWDI framework. You can do the NWDI upgrade, this should not have effect on the usability of the existing tracks.

See also:

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

Thanks For the reply. I need to give analysis to my team on same. I need to understand it here pretty clear.

My questions are as bellow. I am not sure about the NWDI server configurations that happen please donu2019t mind for basic questions.

1.Our NWDI server is SPS16. Upgrading this to SPS20 here means upgrading software components, run time server and what else?

2. would there be any application side changes that are to be taken care of? Where can I find the application features differing for SPS20?

3.I have get my NWDS upgraded to SPS20 as well right?

Thanks !