cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is an UDF and UDT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

we are using SAP Business one 2007 A and I would like to know what are User Defined Fields and User Defined Tables? What are the uses of both and what do they do? Please explain how to create a UDF and a UDT? Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun, Welcome to Forums.

UDF is User Defined Field. This is used in SAP Business ONE as an alternative to SDK development. You may define some columsn to SAP B1's physical or master data files. These columns get indeed updated into the framework of application..

Same way, UDT is User Defined Table, this is where you want Key/Value type of relationship in a table.

Thus UDF and UDT are a quick and tricky way to get some developmental work done on your unique needs that are not offered by SAP B1.

You can access UDF and UDT from Tools ->Customization Tools Menu.

You should discover more through online help.

Note: You have to kow the inner workings of SAP B1 to know where to add UDF. For example, you want a UDF to show up in all marketing documents (Sales Order, Returns, Deliveries, Invoices), Then you just need to add once the UDF to Marketing Documents.

You can write FMS queries or drop downs that populate value into your UDF.

The UDF for master files show up on the sides of the window. It is posssible to add UDF into sales order Matrix/Grid also.

That is you can have it at Row level or Header Level.

Hope that is a good start for you to discover more on your own.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sayeed. So UDF and UDT are customization tools? Do I need ABAP or technical skills to set up a UDF or UDT?

What kind of customization can be done with the help of UDF and UDT. If I set up a UDF and UDT in my workstation, will it be shared by everyone or only I can use those UDF and UDT?

For example: If I am seeing an AP invoice list, can I add a field to show the check number with which the invoice was paid? Why I am asking this because we have an AP person in our company and whenever a vendor calls, she has to browse through 5-6 screens to get to that payment information and the check number does not show up when she pulls up the invoice list.

With the help of UDF, can I pull any information anywhere? How does this work? Where can set the UDF and UDT meaning in what areas? Can it be set only in master data?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arun, oh no. No ABAP, no technical skills. It is quite simple and no need to compile.

Watch these videos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZKOjkRvd4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laz-IfTKW5g

It will help if you know SQL, TRANSACT SQL to get the data from SAP B1 DB and populate in the UDF's you create.

There is some learning to do but you will be all right. These forums are very good.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>What kind of customization can be done with the help of UDF and UDT. If I set up a UDF and UDT in my workstation, will it >be shared by everyone or only I can use those UDF and UDT?

The authorization is controlled in SAP B1 through Setup->User defaults and Admin->User Authorizations panel. The authorizations are based on what you provide above to marketing documents, production documents, service documents etc.

UDF is just part of above SAP B1 authorization control. You can not control authroization for just UDF you created. It is based upon what user, what authorization it has.

>For example: If I am seeing an AP invoice list, can I add a field to show the check number with which the invoice was paid? Why I am asking this because we have an AP person in our company and whenever a vendor calls, she has to browse through 5-6 screens to get to that payment information and the check number does not show up when she pulls up the invoice list.

>Yes above is possible. And these are the real world examples of why UDFs are used. The queries you use to populate them can get tricky, there are highly talented and able people on forum who can help you out with those. But you have to get started somewhere.

>With the help of UDF, can I pull any information anywhere? How does this work? Where can set the UDF and UDT meaning in what areas? Can it be set only in master data?

There are limitation to UDF, you can not pull anything everywhere or anywhere. That level of visibility will require SDK development. You just have to try and learn about the scope. I am not sure about it.

When you go tools->Customization tools->User defined field management, you will see the areas and sub levels you can use.

The rule of the forums is one question per thread. It helps if you can adhere to that. Also, please close the thread, if it is answered. Welcome again!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for such a detailed explanation Syeed. I still do not understand the use of UDF. What does it do basically?

I tried creating some but did not understand what it did.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also please search for UDF and FMS etc in the forum, especially the SAP Business One Training Forum.

Also go to SAP Partner Portal/Customer Portal, access SAP Business ONE Education, and there is free web training.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You first start from Tools->User Defined Field Management.

Choose the document set you want your UDF to show up. FOr example if you want marketing documents such as Sales Orders, Purchase Orders, Invoices, Delivery etc then pick Marketing DOcuments.

Now decide whether row or Title level. That is you want UDF in grid of marketing document or on the side at title level.

Select rows and the button ADD becomes available to click.

Click ADD and here you can ADD you field. You have all kinds of settings there. Click on help on that screen (Field Data) to learn more.

After you add it, it will update and gives a warning that the session will be restarted (something like that). Just say yes. The field gets added, now go to Sales Order, the field will be in the SO grid. If not there, then go to FMS above and make it visible.

Note: When you add the above field, other should sessions should not stay logged on as database is getting udpated.

Edited by: Syed Aleem on Mar 8, 2011 7:44 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ...hope u doing good. i have one doubt in SAP B1. while creating layout revision form i m getting message that " login failed for user 'sa'". can u tell what is this error. im new in SAP B1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ...hope u doing good. i have one doubt in SAP B1. while creating layout revision form i m getting message that " login failed for user 'sa'". can u tell what is this error. im new in SAP B1