cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image in report header appears in front of underlaying section line objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

I am trying to simulate a company letter header with company logo in page header. I have added line objects in the underlaying sections so the user can see when the detail data/section ends.

I have inserted an image into a report header

I have set the page header to 'Underlay Following Sections'

when I preview the report, line objects in underlying sections appear behind the page header image

when I preview the report, text objects in underlying sections appear in front of the page header image

Has anybody any ideas or better ways of achieving same results please?

Ta very much.

Keith

Edited by: KDHarrison on Mar 20, 2011 8:13 PM

text objects are not behaving the same way, as a workaround I have set the top/bottom/left/right border property to single and used these instead of boxes or lines.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member200290
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Keith,

This behaviour does not seem consistent, it should over/under lay the same not matter what object you have. So I can help you with this further, can you let me know:

1 - Do you want the company logo on every page?

2 - Where do you want the logo? At the top of each page or part way through the page?

3 - Do you want this logo to underlay the report so the rest of the report's objects and data appear on top of the logo?

Thanks,

Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Trevor, thanks for your reply.

1 - Do you want the company logo on every page?

Yes - I currently have it in the page header

2 - Where do you want the logo? At the top of each page or part way through the page?

At the top of each page

3 - Do you want this logo to underlay the report so the rest of the report's objects and data appear on top of the logo?

Yes, I want sections beneath the logo to appear on top of the logo

Thanks very much,

Keith

former_member200290
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Keith,

I have duplicated the issue you are having. I will be tracking this issue and will update you when I have more information.

However I do have a work around for you:

Insert a new subreport into your report.

Cut the line or box object out of the main report and paste it into the top section of the subreport.

Suppress all but the top section of the subreport.

Align the subreport and its line to match where the line was in the main report.

You may have to format the subreport object to have no borders.

I hope this work around helps,

Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Trevor.

Thanks for your suggestion but I have a lot of reports to apply this workaround to and it would take a long time to edit all reports.

Is this an issue that will need fixing in a future release of CR or is it specific to my machine?

Thanks

Keith

former_member200290
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Keith,

This is not specific to your machine and as far as I can tell this behaviour is in our product for a pretty long time. I am putting this in for a fix however I cannot comment to how long this may take.

Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, thanks for your help Trevor

former_member200290
Contributor
0 Kudos

I forgot to update you on the Adapt fix information for this. The Adapt number is ADAPT01535301 and it is slated for service pack (SP) 2, which I don't have a time frame for at this point.

I do want to add that I cannot guarantee that if this is accepted to be fixed that it will definitely get into SP 2 which is the next update for Crystal Reports for Visual Studio .NET 2010. The difficulty in this one is that this behaviour goes back to at least version 5 of our product, so we have been working this way for 14 years. The developers are going to have to evaluate not only if this can be fixed but what are the chances that this could cause a breaking change to customers who expect this behaviour.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member200290
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your patience while this was being investigated. So the way Crystal Report's layout was designed was that items are put in a stack of multiple objects with the ability to move forward and back as needed. For some technical reason lines and boxes were left out of this which means they will always be in the back. Unfortunately we don't know the technical reasons that this was done as it goes back to some of our earliest versions, we are investigating this though.

The difficulty know is trying to find the reason for this, and determining if this can be changes with out breaking backwards compatibility. In the mean time the developer has suggested a work around and are wondering if this would work for you?

1. Insert a text object and enter nothing.

2. Change the size (the height matches the line width) and background (background color matches the line color).

3. Right click on the text object and select Move | To Front. And then the "line" will be on top of the picture.

Kind Regards,

Trevor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Trevor

Sorry I didnt reply, I forgot all about this. Before you posted the above comments, I changed all box objects to text boxes and set text objects line style to single. I then moved the text object to the back so other controls appear in front. This works OK.

Thanks

Keith

former_member200290
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thank you for your reply!