cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firefox 4 not supported by Web Dynpro (NW7.0 ehp1 sp5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello!

I just upgraded to Firefox 4.0 and now I get the error message "Sorry, your browser/program is not supported by Web Dynpro!" when I access a web dynpro.

When will NW7.0 support Firefox 4? It was released on march 23rd.

Since we are using Web dynpro on an external facing portal this will become a big problem once customers starts to upgrade to Firefox 4.

I've looked in PAM for NW 7.0 and firefox 4 isn't in there. The latest version is 3.6.

Also check this note that is about IE8 compatibility:

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1347768

I think the problem is the browser recognition mentioned in the above note.

For Firefox 3.* the property ns7.recognition is "rv:1." for Firefox 4 it should be "rv:2.".

Look for Gecko version in the following link.

http://hacks.mozilla.org/2010/09/final-user-agent-string-for-firefox-4/

We are currently using NetWeaver 7.0 ehp1 sp 5.

Will SAP add support for Firefox 4 in a later support pack or should we try and hack the browser recognition in Visual Admin?

Thanks for any answers!

Regards,

Richard Linnander

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stuart_campbell
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP evaluates most browser clients for use and endeavours to extend support to certain browser clients and their ongoing versions - this may not automatically correspond to browser version release dates

Support also may only be available from a certain SP or Netweaver release

and FF4 is not yet documented in PAM then its not yet certified - the evalution process across all SAP

UIs is currently in progress

In the meantime perhaps note 1524910 might help

Best wishes

Stuart

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help! It looks like that note only applies to 7.3, we are using 7.0.

I've managed to get it working by hacking the browser recognition i Visual Admin but I'm still looking for an officially supported solution.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard

We are facing similar issues,

i'd be intrested in the settings you applied to visual administrator, and would be very appreciative if you would be willing to share them, i've just not had chance due to ongoing upgrade work to delve into this issue yet.

Many thanks

James Ibbotson

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I did in Visual Admin is the following:

Go to configuration adapter

Select webdynpro->sap.com->tcwddispwda->Propertysheet clients.

Look for the property named ns7.recognition.

Change it from "rv:1." to "rv:1.|rv:2." to enable both firefox 1-3 and Firefox 4.

Good luck!

I'm not using this in our production system, only in Dev so do it at your own risk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for this.

Going to try it on our dev systems, should make our HR department very happy.

Then hand it over to them for testing !

Regards

James

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any updates to this topic?

Firefox is already up to v8, hard to understand why v4, v5, v6, v7 all haven't been tested yet officially when this topic alone has over 8,242 views. We're using it for time sheet entry and so far all versions work wonderfully when simply changing the user-agent (including a nightly build of Firefox x64-bit edition v11) in a lab environment.

Anyone tried changing from "rv:1." to "rv:1.|rv:2." to enable both Firefox 1-3 and Firefox 4 with success?

fyi, Firefox's rv:GeckoVersion from v5 onwards is now linked to the Firefox token version making it bit easier to manage. So changing "rv:1." to "rv:1.|rv:2.|rv:5.|rv:6.|rv:7.|rv:8." should allow v3 - v8 to be tested.

Firefox v3.6 is rv:1.

Firefox v4 is rv:2.

Firefox v5 is rv:5.

Firefox v6 is rv:6.

Firefox v7 is rv:7.

Firefox v8 is rv:8.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Johnny

The fix only seems to work with a one pipe statement i.e RV 1 / RV 8

Later patches for the NW portal remove this error message.

SP26 which is in 'restricted release at the moment' brings forward FF4+ support ! and i think SP 24/25 remove these error messages.

So patch your portal.

We can't at the moment due to a SRM upgrade !

I'm using the fix without issue at the moment, and just switching the agent when the next FF version appears.

Telling end users to keep up to keep up to date is a better fix imho !

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Closing this and waiting for official support. Hack seems to work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is possible to get it working with both Firefox 3 and 4 by removing the last part of the string so it just reads: "rv:" but I don't know if this messes up detection for some other browser.

This also works: "rv:1.|rv:2."

Edited by: Richard Linnander on Apr 1, 2011 3:01 PM