cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Sales (CRM - ISA) upgrade to v. 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Experts,

Has anyone upgraded ISA application to the latest version 7 ? or can any expert knows what is the difference ?

- Does the Frames in .jsp pages gone ?

- shopping cart change ?

- looks change ?

- functionality changes ?

we have B2B and B2C , we have heavily customized these application for our requirements. now we are at the stage we need to upgrade and we don t have any visibility to the latest version.

is there any where i can find notes ?

any help will be appreciated and rewarded ..

Thanks

Mitul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Release Notes for the version of the CRM 7.0 SP will have the list of changes included in the new new version. It is very elaborate and you can sift through this note to locate any changes made to any specific files you may be interested in.

In SAP Service Marketplace, https://websmp204.sap-ag.de/releasenotes, navigate to SAP Solutions --> SAP Customer Relationship Management (SAP CRM)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

esameer
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

May be very late to post something on this post. One of the project in our company is moving from 5.0 to 7.0, now my question is WCEM and Hybris being in place dose SAP still supports the SAP CRM ISA 7.0 or WebChannel 7.0??  for moving to WCEM will it require additional licensing cost ?

Regards,

Samir

neil_hoff
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mitul,

You can get these two guides:

SAP E-Commerce 7.0 Dev. and Extension Guide: Tutorial

SAP E-Commerce 7.0 Development and Extension Guide

At [http://service.sap.com/instguides]

Click on "SAP Business Suite Applications" -> SAP CRM 7.0 -> Operate

Thank you,

Neil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

having done the upgrade a few times now for heavily customized shops I'd say that it all depends on what you had customized and what version you ran before

Fundamentally things haven't changed that much since version 5...but between 2007 and 7 there was a big jump in the MVC flows within the shop which caused some headaches during upgrade. If you are running on Version 4 as a starting point then the jump is much bigger, especially for B2C.

Instead of trying to give any answer about how big the effort is in your case (as it would be impossible to say so) I can give some insight into what process we went through.

- Get the latest shop versions (vanilla) up and running. This will give you a baseline to check against if things don't work in custom shop. Also patch the vanilla to the level you want and freeze it there if possible as at this point in time you have a known code base for your starting point.

- Make a call on if you actually want to lift custom implementations off the old code base to the new or if that seems too daunting then look at leaving some of old shop code in your new version as well. Understand the implications of your choices here as both approaches have pro's and con's. In perfect world you would re-implement custom code on new code base...but I would suggest you take some time to evaluate the feasibility of this based on how much custom changes you have made.

- Get a file comparison tool that allows you to understand what files are the same and what have changed between versions. This will also allow you to understand the nature of the changes where they have happened, as some might not have an impact on you at all.

- Focus first on getting the big picture working before focusing on smaller features or style issues...otherwise you might get stuck on stuff that doesn't necessarily matter.

- Be pragmatic...unless you got plenty of time and someone with deep pockets. This might mean going back to business saying that you will release in stages where some of the custom features that existed will be introduced a bit later if implementation effort on new platform is high.

- One of the most challenging aspect of the upgrade for us was that the Struts config had changed so much (not the least that it was now split in more config files than before). New Actions were introduced and the Actions were used in different combinations from before.

- There is quite a bit of new logic in the standard classes and JSP's but a lot of it has to do with new marketing features so they aren't as much change as they are augmentations of old ones so should not have that much impact on you.

- We also used a brute force approach to some of the work. Take a copy of the new vanilla. Apply some custom code to it, run it, deal with issues, move to next chunk of custom code, repeat. I don't want to promote our custom dev environment here, but 10 second restarts of server and hot deployments + good JSP debugging was suddenly really paying off

- Neil: Must use NWDI?!? We didn't (and still don't) not sure on what level the "must" has been stated?

NWDI is simply not good enough for productive development purposes...and the extra time you spend on NWDI will cripple you during the upgrade (especially if highly customized).

- Last but fairly importantly. Unless you have to do the upgrade now and if rumors are correct and the parallel product for web channel e-commerce is soon coming to market, it might be worth while evaluating first what the new product will do before investing time and money into these upgrades (this might no longer be a choice you can make though).

Not saying much above, but hopefully at least one of the points above make sense. It took us quite a few weeks to do one of the upgrades between 2007 and 7 and they were only one version apart. All I can say is that there are changes, but the changes are not too big to make the upgrades impossible.

Cheerios,

Kalle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Kalle,

we are on version 5 and we are planning to go to version 7. (i think SAP is refering Internet Sales as web-channel in version 7. )..

so i think this will be major re-do for us.

neil_hoff
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kalle,

You are correct about NWDI. When we first started looking into 7.0 the developer had told me that NWDI was a requirement.

Since we didn't have NWDI in place and I had never setup NWDI before, he was able to find a work around using subversion.

What do you use for version management?

Thank you,

Neil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we use Subversion as well. Some others use GIT.

We have an ant build script to prepare the releases from subversion and then we use SDM for deployment. We use TRAC for issue / ticket management as it is good and simple enough and ties in nicely with subversion to clearly link source code changes to individual tickets.

Have a look at the blog posts here /people/kalle.pokkinen/blog as there might be some things there which might be of use to you.

Cheers

Kalle

neil_hoff
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mitul,

I don't know the differences yet but I can give you one piece of advice.

If you are planning on going to an Enhancement pack you will need to go to Version 7.0 if you want any support from SAP.

We had an issue with our B2B application not being able to find the shopping cart after we patched our ERP system to EHP4 and SAP wouldn't even troubleshoot until we moved to ISA 7.0. Luckily this issue came up on our Developer Workplace install early on in our patch process, so we have time to go to 7.0.

We just started the process of moving to 7.0, so I will try and update this thread when I know more information.

The only thing that our developer has noticed so far is that NWDI is not just recommended anymore it is required.

Thank you,

Neil