cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR Runtime Engine for .NET Framework 4.0 requires Framework 2.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Prior to using the latest release of Crystal Reports I didn't get any errors when compiling my Visual Studio 2010 installation project but since the CR upgrade I keep getting the following error messages:

WARNING: The 'SAP Crystal Reports Runtime Engine for .NET Framework 4.0' item selected requires 'Microsoft.Net.Framework.2.0'. Select the missing prerequisite in the Prerequisites Dialog Box or create a bootstrapper package for the missing prerequisite.
WARNING: The 'SAP Crystal Reports Runtime Engine for .NET Framework 4.0' item selected requires 'Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8'. Select the missing prerequisite in the Prerequisites Dialog Box or create a bootstrapper package for the missing prerequisite.

As per one of the articles I read, I have the following statement in the App.config module:

<startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true"></startup>

Even though I get the above error message the package still compiles but when I try to use it to install my package I also get the following error messages:

Installing using command 'C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe' and parameters ' -I "C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD1B4C.tmp\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\CRRuntime_32bit_13_0_1.msi" -q '
Will attempt to elevate process.
Process exited with code 1603

I could really use some help here so any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

turbo56

Edited by: turbo56 on Apr 14, 2011 11:50 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Re. 1603. Google "Process exited with code 1603". It is not a CR issue...

Re legacy Mode - only needed if you are using .NET Datasets or redirecting to lower version assemblies (which you do not want to do).

Re. the inital errors; make sure you are using the full 4.0 framework, not the client 4.0 framework.

Do not compile to "Any CPU".

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the prompt response Ludek.

The reason I thought 'code 1603' was related to CR was because it came immediately after the attempt to install the latest "CRRuntime_32bit_13_0_1.msi" runtime,

Installing using command 'C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe' and parameters ' -I "C:\Users\PC\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD1B4C.tmp\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\CRRuntime_32bit_13_0_1.msi" -q

While I was using the earlier "CRRuntime_32bit_13_0.msi" all was Ok, but I'll Google that to see what comes back.

I removed the legacy statement from App.config but can't see any difference.

<startup useLegacyV2RuntimeActivationPolicy="true"></startup>

As for the 4.0 Framework, I'm using "SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework 4 (32-bit) Ver 13.0.0.99". Is that correct?

/Mike

Edited by: turbo56 on Apr 15, 2011 2:14 AM

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As for the 4.0 Framework, I'm using "SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework 4 (32-bit) Ver 13.0.0.99". Is that correct?

That is fine, though I'd recommend moving to SP 1:

More info:

Re. install. Understood. I Googled the error and it looked like there is a fair amount of "generic" info on it. See if any of it helps.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for that.

I'll do what you suggested and see how I go.

Cheers.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

a) I uninstalled 'Sap Crystal Reports, version for Visual Studio 2010' and reinstalled the one I found in the link you sent me so now 'Control Panel > Programs and Features' shows version 13.0.1.220 however the 'c:\windows\assembly' folder shows 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine - 13.0.2000.0'. Does that make sense?

b) I found in 'SAP Crystal Reports .NET SDK Developer Guide' where it says the version of CR for VS2010 should be 'SAP Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010 (.NET 4.0 Framework) 14.0.2000.0'. I assume the document with '14.0..' is wrong, is that correct, i.e. what should the revision be?

c) I am still getting the warnings (below) so any suggestions would be most welcome as I'm stuck.

WARNING: The 'SAP Crystal Reports Runtime Engine for .NET Framework 4.0' item selected requires 'Microsoft.Net.Framework.2.0'. Select the missing prerequisite in the Prerequisites Dialog Box or create a bootstrapper package for the missing prerequisite.
WARNING: The 'SAP Crystal Reports Runtime Engine for .NET Framework 4.0' item selected requires 'Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8'. Select the missing prerequisite in the Prerequisites Dialog Box or create a bootstrapper package for the missing prerequisite.

d) I saved "CRRuntime_32bit_13_0_1.msi and CRRuntime_64bit_13_0_1.msi" files in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\CrystalReports 4.0" folder, is that correct?

e) I also saw "CRRuntime_14_0_32bit.exe and CRRuntime_14_0_64bit.exe" in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\CrystalReports 4.0' folder (not sure how they got there but the file date is from August 2010 so it may have been me but I don't remember), is that correct?

Regards,

Mike

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

a) Yes that does make sense. Assembly does not change - file version does

b) The version 14.x is incorrect - the assemblies are version 13.x

c) Do you get the same warning if you create a brand new app?

d) Does not matter where the MSI file is saved.

e) "CRRuntime_14_0_32bit.exe and CRRuntime_14_0_64bit.exe"; are from the Bata of CRVS2010. This is worrisome as it looks like there was a Beta of CRVS2010 on this computer and the computer has still not been thoroughly cleaned up. See KB 1535325 for details.

- Ludek

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Asked around here what else we can try (my comments in italics);

It sounds like heu2019s trying click-once, but from his command line, its hard to say. If this is the case, try the MSI

Click once has the following prerequisites in the product.xml file:

<RelatedProducts>

<DependsOnProduct Code="Microsoft.Net.Framework.2.0"; />

<DependsOnProduct Code="Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8"; />

</RelatedProducts>

I think the runtimes he found in the bootstrapper were Beta 2 installers (Beta1 didn't have installers). They should be deleted. If he originally deployed 14.0 runtime, there might be problems deploying 13.1 runtimes.

thus my suggestion in my previous post re. complete clean up on that computer

The MSIEXEC command line seems odd (are you running it from a temp user folder? Is this actually what you're entering or is it a command line you copied from a click-once log file? Also, does it make a diff if you run as admin?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

In the last couple of days I've been able to try the build on a new PC that's only had the latest VS2010 and CR installed, from the links you gave me, and I still get the same result when I try to build the project. Also just to clarify a few issues:

a) I'm not using click-once and

b) On the new PC there's no "CRRuntime_14_0_32bit.exe and CRRuntime_14_0_64bit.exe" in 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\CrystalReports 4.0', as expected.

Just to mention one other thing that I should have mentioned at the start. Since upgrading my project from .NET 2.0 to 3.5 and now 4.0 I've also been getting two other errors but without any noticable consequence (that's why I didn't do anything about them until I got some time to resolve them) so I overlooked to mention them earlier. The code below shows all the errors that I'm getting:

------ Rebuild All started: Project: MyProject, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
vbc : warning BC40059: A reference was created to embedded interop assembly 'CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ClientDoc' because of an indirect reference to that assembly from assembly 'CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine'. Consider changing the 'Embed Interop Types' property on either assembly.
vbc : warning BC40059: A reference was created to embedded interop assembly 'CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ClientDoc' because of an indirect reference to that assembly from assembly 'CrystalDecisions.ReportSource'. Consider changing the 'Embed Interop Types' property on either assembly.
  MyProject -> C:\Users\michael\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\MyProject\MyProject SW\MyProject\bin\Debug\MyProject.exe
------ Starting pre-build validation for project 'MyProject Installer' ------ 
------ Pre-build validation for project 'MyProject Installer' completed ------
------ Rebuild All started: Project: MyProject Installer, Configuration: Debug ------
Building file 'C:\Users\michael\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\MyProject\MyProject Installer SW\MyProject Installer\Debug\MyProject-Debug-V1.1.377.msi'...

I no longer consciously use any component that needs .NET 2.0 but I'm unable to locate where it's been referenced so maybe if that was resolved I wouldn't be getting the last two errors.

Once again sorry for overlooking to mention that sooner.

Thanks,

Mike

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry Mike but I'm out of ideas. I think it may be time to create a phone case here:

http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/en_US/pd/productID.98078100?resid=S6I@hgoHAkEAAGsiyV...

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok Ludek. Sorry for having a weird case and thanks for all your effort.

/Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

I've been doing some experimenting and for the benefit of others that come accross a similar problem would like to let you know how I resolved the first error, re: "vbc : warning BC40059: A reference was created to embedded interop...". In my project References window I set the "CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ClientDoc > Embed Interop Types" reference property to False.

As for the second error re: "WARNING: The 'SAP Crystal Reports Runtime Engine for .NET Framework 4.0' item selected requires..." I'd like to run something past you. In the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\product.xml" file I found the following lines (that appear in my error):

<RelatedProducts>
    <DependsOnProduct Code="Microsoft.Net.Framework.2.0" />
    <DependsOnProduct Code="Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8" />
</RelatedProducts>

I removed those lines and the error has gone away so my question is "should those lines be there in the first place"?

/Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

There was never an answer as to whether removing these lines from product.xml (for ClickOnce deployment) would resolve the issue if you're targetting .NET Framework 4.

<RelatedProducts> 
    <DependsOnProduct Code="Microsoft.Net.Framework.2.0"/> 
    <DependsOnProduct Code="Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8"/> 
</RelatedProducts>

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Even in Crystal for VS 2010 SP3 the product.xml still contains these two lines:

<RelatedProducts>

<DependsOnProduct Code="Microsoft.Net.Framework.2.0"/>

<DependsOnProduct Code="Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8"/>

</RelatedProducts>

Anyone knows the answer to this still open question of why these lines are there? After all, the product already depends on the full .NET 4.0. 

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ido

Re. frm 2; There are components / files that still rely on frm 2. I know of at least one; crdb_adoplus.dll. I don't think there is anything happening there as far as a "fix".

Re. Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8. Only a guess; some dbs we may be asked to connect to will still need to use Microsoft.Data.Access.Components.2.8(?). But, I'll let Don take a better stab at this one.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there any update on this dependency?

We are starting to target Windows 8 and Server 2012 and this ancient legacy support is causing real problems at install time as we can't distribute .Net 3.5 for the current versions on Windows.

It makes a true offline installation impossible without the user having access to their Windows installation disks.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I know SP has no changes, not sure if any are being contemplated for future SP. I'll ping the Program Manager, see what he says...

- Ludek

Answers (0)