cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This report uses an invalid printer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Upon opening a report I get an error message: "This report uses an invalid printer. The default printer will be used instead." The report opens in the preview window as an un-modifiable picture of the report. I must be able to modify it! This report is generated by Crane Streamware/Vendmax. It is the first one I have opened that reacts this way.

Thank you,

CWNaset

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

vian_abduljalil
Participant
0 Kudos

hi,

I have the same issue, I have Crystal report 2011 version 14.0.4.738 RTM.

when I try to open the report in CR 2011 so I get this error:

This report uses an invalid printer. the default printer will be used instead.

When I press ok , this screen
appears:

so I can't open the report at all. please how I can resolve this issue???

thank you

Vian

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same issue with 14.1.1.1036 and I can not find a solution.  Have you had any luck?

Former Member
0 Kudos

This warning message comes only when there is no printer software exist in the machine which you have used in the report while developing. So when you open the report you will get this warning message and if you click on OK then it takes the system defult printer software settings.

If you want to overcome this warning message then open the report,

Go to "page setup"

Check the option "No Printer"

Save the report.

Now if you open the report again it doesn't prompt the warning message.

Hope this will solve you problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response! This report, along with many other reports, is generated by a third party program that I use. It's reports are exported to your choice of either Crystal or Excel. All the other reports generated by the program are editable in Crystal, but I think there is something different about the coding on this one. It is a statement of commission owed, and it is the only one that, before you export, you have the choice of marking it Printed, or not. I have tried both ways, along with trying to export it to Excel and bring in the data that way, with no success. This is not really a printer problem; there is no problem printing. It's something about the formatting during the creation of the report that locks out the editing in Crystal. As soon as you try to open the file in Crystal, you get the error, and it opens as something like a picture of the printout, that is not editable. I'm trying to access the data without learning SQL to retrieve it all directly from the database.

Follow up: Found out that the report was divided into subreports for different parameter choices and I had to isolate the subreport I needed and then edit the subreport. Thank you.

Edited by: CWNaset on Apr 27, 2011 6:37 PM