cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new smartform barcoding technology not producing barcodes

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I am wanting to change an existing Smartform label to print using new barcoding technology instead of barcode dll. Our company wants to get away from using the barcode dll for printing smartforms.

When I print out the label the text shows up where it is needed but where barcodes are needed there is nothing. The spool does generate a problem error in the log. I have this included in bottom of post. Below is the information I believe will be valuable in

troubleshooting. If there is anything else you need feel free to let me know. I have spent quite some time trying to troublshoot this. If any of you can provide any help I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Printer Model: Zebra 170xi4 (300 dpi)

Smartform Page Format Dina4

Non-continuous labels are used in printer and settings in printer show

that as well

SE73 - Created new system barcode named Z128B_N1 via SE73

SPAD - Made copy of device type LZEB3 and named it ZEB3

SE73 - Linked new system barcode Z128B_N1 to printer barcode ZEB3

SPAD - device type ZEB3

SPAD - host spool access method S

The windows 2008 Server that handles printing is running SAPLPD version 6.12 according to log.

text file generated log of spool generation

• start of spool text

SAP spool error log

=====================

Print request processing log

-

Character converter active when first problem occurred

-

Data was saved with character set 4102

Data will be converted to character set 1162 (synt = 1162)

Errors occurred processing this print request

-

OTF module: Unknown print control should be output

Print output may not be as intended

Most important attributes of spool request

-

Request number 130532

Request name SMART COR5 PRJOHT0

Client 810

Owner PRJOHT0

Request attributes

Time created 2011042817115900

Remaining life +00003000000

Dispo 1 (Go/Hold) G

Dispo 2 (Keep/Delete) D

Dispo 3 (Indirect/Direct) D

Default output device COR5

Default no. copies 1

Format DINA4

Main print request characteristics

-

Spool request number 130532

Print request number 1

Print request attributes

Time created 2011042817115900

Output device COR5

Format DINA4

Character converter active when first problem occurred

-

No information available

• end of spool text

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you create the new system barcode via SE73 and specify that it shall have be created with the new barcode technolgy, then you should not also create a specific printer barcode in SE73 -> Printer Fonts. i.e. there is no need to link the new system barcode to the device type like you mentioned. System Barcodes created with the new barcode technolgy can be used with all suitable device types. i.e. the device types described in SAP note #645158.

Regards,

Aidan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Aidan,

Thanks for the quick response. I did not create the specific printer barcode in SE73 -> Printer Fonts. I created it via SE73 -> Printer Bar Codes. I did try to only create barcode via SE73 -> System Bar Codes but it did not work in my first attempt and then I added it via SE73 -> Printer Bar Codes in my second attempt. Both attempts same result. Do you still think I need to remove the Printer Bar Code reference via SE73 -> Printer Bar Codes?

I did reference SAP note #645158 as well thinking it would work for all device types specifically Zebra device types found in linked note SAP note #750772. If you have any other suggestions I will gladly try it.

Thanks,

John

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

You should remove the entry created in SE73 -> Printer Fonts -> Device type. his is only needed for barcodes created with the old barcode technology. The print controls contain the commands to activate the barcode fonts contained in the printer itself.

With the new barcode technology, the barcode is created in SAP. It is important that the barcodeis created specifying that it uses the New Barcode Technolgy when you get the pop-up.

Regards,

Aidan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Morning Aidan,

The only entry for device type in SE73 -> Printer Fonts -> ZEB3 is the HELVE font family. There is no reference to the barcode I made here.

When I created the barcode Z128B_N1 I did create it using new barcode technology in SE73 -> System Bar Codes.

Thanks,

John

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Sorry I menat to say SE73 -> Bar Code Fonts -> ZEB3

Can you check if the barcode is defined there an remove it if it is?

Regards,

Aidan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Aidan,

The only selection optiions I have in SE73 are:

Font Families

System Fonts

Printer Fonts

System Bar Codes

Printer Bar Codes

The only options that contain the barcode Z128B_N1 that I created are System Bar Codes and Printer Bar Codes. Should I remove it from one of those two options?

Thanks,

John

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

The barcode Z128B_N1 should be removed from SE73 -> Printer Bar Codes.

Regards,

Aidan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Aidan,

I deleted the printer barcode via SE73 -> Printer Bar Codes and attempted print of smart form. I received same results of no barcodes printed on label.

Thanks,

John

Former Member
0 Kudos

Smartform had references to old barcodes. After removal the new barcode technology worked as desired.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

I have the similar problem. I am trying to print a QR barcode using smartform. But the zebra printer only prints my text and QR code is not printed.

When you said "Smartform had references to old barcodes" . How did you remove it?

Thanks,

Ankit

aidan_black
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi, Support for QR bar codes with New Barcode Technology is only possible from certain Basis releases and support packs. See the following SAP notes: 2030263 - Support for QR Code 2005 Barcode in SAPscript and Smart Forms 2029824 - Support for QR code and data matrix bar code (ABAP part)  2029589 - Support for QR code and data matrix bar code (kernel part) Regards, Aidan

Answers (0)