Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between SAP BI & SAP BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Is SAP BI a functional module?

Can you please explain the difference between SAP BI & SAP BW?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards

Karthick

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi karthick,

sap nw bw 7.0 or 7.3 is formerly sap bi 7.0 which is a seperate component in sap netweaver package.

and sap bo (sap bi 4.0) is a business objects product from sap.

see sap bi now refers to business objects products

and sap bw refers to the sap netweaver business warehouse (formerly sap bi 7.0)

In 2008, SAP used the term "Business Intelligence" to refer

SAP BusinessObjects BI solutions and also SAP NetWeaver BI.

In order to remove confusion, the term Business Intelligence is now associated only with the solutions from the SAP

BusinessObjects portfolio.

So SAP NetWeaver Business Intelligence (BI) is no longer used and instead we refer by,

SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse (BW) ,

SAP Business Explorer (SAP BEx) and

SAP NetWeaver BW Accelerator (BWA

thanks

Sankar S

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI ,

Hope said Differences will help me lot....!

Can any body suggest me.........the following.

Also can you suggest me one thing i basically from Management bag round has 6 yrs exp in HR into manufacturing Indust.

1) I would prefer to learn either of courses BI or BW or BO(Not interested for SAP-HR)

2) Is SAP-BI and SAP-BW functional or Technical?

3) is there any diff between SAP BI and BI

Please let me know which is suitable for me to enter into SAP world?

Awaiting you prompt replay...............!

Reagards,

Prabhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prabhu,

1) What is SAP BI, what do consultants work on, what technologies they use ?

SAP stands for System Applications and product in Data processing.

BI/BW  stands for Business Intelligence or Business Intelligence warehouse or Business warehouse. It is an readymade software for Data warehousing or in simple language it is an Data storehouse.

The most Important word for a BI consultant from above is Data .  Data of business, most important Data on which different important decisions of a Company depents on.

Mostly in BI there is Historic Data or Old data. But some times you have to work also with realtime Data.

Actually we as an BI consultant extract or perform Data aquisition from another system, which is known asR/3 System or any other company realtime systems.

I dont want to go much in detail in R/3 systems.

OVERVIEW

In real time data is stored in R/3 system (in day to day business life cycle) for eg : Assuming that you are a dealer of Audi cars in USA ,If you have orderd some 100 Audi cars Q7 from Audi plant in Germany.  then they will take some Personal details from you and they will process your request, as soon as they accept your request this information wil be pass to different sections of business, for eg: to Material management, sales and distributions etc.This all information regarding a business with you is stored in third layer which is known as Database layer of  R/3 System. Now Because R/3 system is very very sensitive system because it records all transactions online that is  OLTP  Online Transaction Process , now if we want to have some report from the Database then we go into the R/3 sys and make reports from that Data and it will slowdown the performance of R/3 system.

Because of this problem SAP had offered or made BI/BW  OLAP online Application Process System so that you can bring the extracted copy or extract exact Data in another system called as BI/BW and then do what ever you want, i mean you can create reports or use data for different calculations etc.

What SAP BI/BW do is , Preparing (Modelling) ready to your BI/BW system for aqusition (Extraction) of Data from another system and creating Reports (Reporting) on it as it is needed by a Manager.So Job of an BI/BW consultant is

1 Modelling

2 Extraction

3 Reporting

You just have to no, how fast and accurate you can play with the BI/BW software. Because it offers wide space .

2) I would like to know what are the pre requisites knowledge (like ABAP/Java or any Datawarehousing knowledge etc) to do SAP BI ?

Yes if you have the knowledge of only ABAP for BI  (no need to have full knowledge of ABAP) or knowledge of JAVA to some extend then it is better. If you dont have the knowledge of any of this languages also, then also you can become an BI consultant. You should have the qualities of understanding the business that all.

If you are doning also BO Business Objects then it would be better if you have the knowledge of SQL.

SO Littel knowledge of JAVA, SQL, ABAP is better.

3) Which kind of people are suitable to do SAP BI ?

If You are a person who understands logic related to software and Logic releted to business. And understand exactly what someone needs from you from your job then BI/BW is right place.

4) What are the prospects of SAP BI when compare to SAP ABAP and EP, heard that SAP BI is going to be obselete and now only SAP BO (biz objects) will be used in future ?

ABAP is a programming language that is used in some parts of BI When it is neede, for eg To perform multiple Querysat one time or calling different data from different sources.

BI is a platform that is needed for Data management or Datawarehousing and making that Data ready for Reporting . BI also performs reporting activities but to some extend.

BO is a Platform where only reporting is possible but with multiple options and with best of reports that is not awailable in BI

So they are and cannot perfome all activities alone whether it is BI, BO, ABAP.

Regards,

Vijaykrishna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijaykrishna

Thanks a lot for good information,i was working as a abap consultant in MNC,i want to move BI.

your information is very useful to me.if you feel free please send me your contact number.

i want to talk with you regarding BI.

Regards

Hemanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijaykrishna

Thank you so much for the clarity, I want to get certified on SAP BI and because I don't have any experience with SAP yet,I would get confused a bit and your explanation is very very helpful,and that is exactly what I want to do.

Much appreciated.

Regards

Patricia.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good and clear explanation Vijaykrishna..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello VijayKrishna,

That was a good and clear explanation....

please can you tell me...

How is the market for SAP BI right now?

What will be the Future for SAP BI?

Is it right time to take up my Career in the Filed of SAP BI?

What is the duration to start from Scratch and learn SAP BI and t attend Interviews?

Waiting for your Response..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Patricia,

Your email address has been removed from this message. Should you wish to share your email address please do so in your SCN profile so other SCN members will be able to reach you directly.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Mariana

Former Member
0 Kudos

OLAP online Application Process System (or) Online Analytical process ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

yeah, srinath thanks for your correction . it is online analytical processing.....

Thanks,

Vijaykrishna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijaykrishna,

I was worked in Networking field and IT auditing. Currently I want to move SAP BI (or) SAP SD. Which is the best, becoz i don't want Basis, ABAP, or any other model. And one morething I dnt have programming skills & database skills. Plz let me know.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramesh,

SAP BI also need some programming and database skills. if you want to go to functional side then choose SAP SD. Presently CRM also has so many opportunities. Before choosing any field it could be better to consult any one who is working on that particular domain.

Thanks,

Vijaykrishna.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its the best answer that i got regarding on sap BW/BI difference.

thanks for this useful solution.

Regards

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI, Vijay Krishna

That is a good and real explanation, Could you please help to know, can we practice abap programming online or else ???

Please help.

Regards, Mahesh Pachauri

0 Kudos

Hi vijayakrishna,

i impressed with your explanation.... i have an query can you please  guide on below ....

I Did my MBA in Tourism and Hospitality and i have an 3 years exp in Travel field... now i want to change my field for that reason i am willing to learn SAP but i have an confusion to learn which course.

i did my graduation in B.sc (Computers).

i approached one institute regarding the same they suggested to go with SAP SD...and also which Institute is Good for learning SAP...

one of my friend suggested to join at Vayuputhra Communications Ltd is at yousufguda...

Kindly guide me to make a better path for my bright future.......

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mr. Ravulapalli,

My name is vaseem and i am from Bangalore , i'm planning to do SAP Course. I am not able to decide

between sap bi and sap crm . I have read your description about bi and also learned a bit about crm in this site. I need your insight in choosing the correct module for me. Also which are the better centres in bangalore to do the course. How to know correctly about centres. Every one which i have contacted already have mixed reviews to them. It would be a lot of help.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Hi Guys..

I Did my MBA in Tourism and Hospitality and i have an 3 years exp in Travel field... now i want to change my field for that reason i am willing to learn SAP but i have an confusion to learn which course.

i approached one institute regarding the same they suggested to go with SAP SD...and also which Institute is Good for learning SAP...

one of my friend suggested to join at Vayuputhra Communications Ltd

Kindly advice....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can I please know which one have more market demand ? Bi or Bo ??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil

There is going to be a plenty of work in SAP BIBW &BIBO in future. now you should know about SAP BI & BO.

Here is the description:

1.sap net-weaver BW 7.0/7.3 is formerly sap BI 7.0 which is a separate component in sap net-weaver package. sap BO (sap bi 4.0) is a business objects product from SAP.

2.And to your question Both SAP BW and BO has demand in market because BO is completely into the reporting side like data visualization. SAP BO (BI 4.X) has important  reporting tools like: Dashboard , web intelligence, crystal reports etc.

3.Now before going for reporting BIBW is coming to picture. As an BI consultant we have to extract or perform Data acquisition from another system, which is known as R/3 System or any other company real time systems. and R/3 system is very sensitive and contains real time data. so we can t manipulate the source system data  every time. so for that SAP introduce data warehousing(BIBW)  OLAP systems which can acts as operational database into which we can replicate the desired source system data and do the modelling and design them according to our requirement.

4.Then only we can produce Dashboards or WEB I reports based on the BW data. so for a BI consultant both BW  modelling ,extraction knowledge and BO &BEx reporting knowledge is necessary. and if you don t  have the programming knowledge thn also you don t have 2 worry. you just have to understand the very basic functional business side of SAP like Material management, sales ,Purchase ,Production Etcc.. and if you have the basic SAP ABAP technical knowledge ,then its better for you during modelling of data in BW   side.

so according to market condition now you have to give emphasis on both SAP BI BW AND BIBO.

if you have any further query please feel free to ask.

Thanks

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you so much Mr. Ashish

I have entered into a company just 3 weeks back and we have been trained in ABAP for these 3 weeks and we are going to be trained on both BI and BO for next few weeks and so I ' am eager to know about these things. After 3 months we will be allotted a project you.

I would like to hear any suggestions from you.

Waiting for your reply.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil,

first of all u got a very good opportunity for working in SAP domain and tht to in BI Side.

so now your carrier profile will be shaping up in a efficient way and you have to make your proficiency level as expert in sap BIBO. so try to gain all the conceptual knowledge on BW side first & before that learn ABAP as prerequisite. then jump to BO part.

so here i am listing some of the concepts/topics in BW side that you must have to learn:

1. BW evolution and history.

2. OLAP AND OLTP system significance and cycle for business data processing,

3. SAP ERP defination and its configuration & architecture in backend.

4.  BW data targets like (ODS,INFO CUBE, MULTI-PROVIDER), data sources, PSA, info object, info source, info object catelog, info area, info providers.

5. BW transfer rules. update rules & transformation from info source to data target & also from data source/PSA to data target.

6. then You have to learn the Extraction mechanism called ETL .(extraction /transformation/loading).

7.different types of loading mechanism to different data targets(ODS,INFO CUBE) from different source systems(flat file,SAP logistics and non logistics data, customize ECC data).

8. Learn about generic data extraction (custom tables of ECC) and application specific data extraction (SAP Standard data like of Sales,production ,purchasing, finance ,HR data).

9.  Open hub destination.

10. Process chains.

11. Remodeling.

12. DTP(DATA TRANSFER PROCESS).

13. BATCH jobs processing .

14. generic data source creation and replication to BW.

15. standard data source activation in ECC side and replication to BW.

16. DSO types.

17. transactional data, master data , fact table, master table, SIDs. key figures/measures. characteristic values.

18. Business explore tools like BEx query designer and analyzer for design the BW data once its loaded into data targets.

19. BO reporting tools like dasboard, crystal reports, web intelligence.

20. prepare the reports from corresponding BEx data which is nothing but R/3 data loaded to bw.

I hope now you can get the momentum in BW once you know about this topics.

Regards Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashish

Thank you so much for your suggestions .

I will search and know in detail about the points mentioned by you and gain conceptual knowledge about them. And then I will try to write blogs/documents on some of them.

Thanks and regards

Nikhil Guda

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Ashish,

Your response is very insightful for anyone who would want to learn more about SAP BI.

My question is, how feasible is it for an SAP CRM Technical consultant to switch to SAP BI. I'm looking out for opportunities, and I see some good SAP BI openings, which have compelled me into thinking to make this change from CRM to BI.

Awaiting your response, and thanking in anticipation !

Richa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Richa ,

actually i don t have much idea about the transformation of a CRM consultant to a BI consultant. so what i know is that  CRM integrates information with business actions. Analytical CRM which is a part of CRM aims to storing,analyzing,& applying knowledge about customers ,about the ways to approach customers using databases , statistical tools, data mining, BI & reporting methodology . But Business intelligence is collection of technologies ,methodologies that transform raw data into meaningful information for business analysis purposes. common functions of BI are reporting, data mining,  OLAP,predictive analysis etc. BIBW uses the backend CRM data for making the reports & used for business analysis purpose. SAP BW reports delivered as part of BI content for CRM-BW. 

so may be you can switch to the SAP BI module from CRM if you acquire good knowledge in BIBW,BIBO for processing of any business module (CRM ,SCM,MM,PP,FICO, etc..) data for analysis .please excuse me if answer is n t satisfactory.

Regards

Ashish

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mahboob,

I will message you the details to your phone since I' am not supposed to publish any company name here on scn (I think so).

Regards,
Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijaykrishna,

Your explanation was very detailed regarding SAP BW, it really helped me a lot. Keep the good work going.

Regards,

Raza

0 Kudos

Dear Vijay ,

This is very useful  information for the begineer , thanks     

Regards ,

Prashant Ashtekar

0 Kudos

Answers (13)

Answers (13)

Former Member

Hi Karthick,

SAP BI and SAP BW are the same.

Just some naming issues from SAP they change names from here to there.

kind regards

Peter

(till Nov 2000 it was BIW then they changed it to BW and since July 2007 its called BI)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter

Thanks for your reply.

Is SAP BI a functional module?

Regards

Karthick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

no its not a Module its an own Software Tree like ERP / SCM etc.

You have to install a seperate system to use it .

Kind regards

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards

Karthick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Are we sure on there not being a difference between the terms BI and BW as they are still using them separately in the S/4 HANA material.  Maybe one is customer side streaming data for fast analytics and the on prem for slower more in depth analysis?

Cheers

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Good Day..!

Thanks for all your post. I would like to take certification on BIBW. But I couldn't find the study material for the same. Could anyone please help if have to share.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthick,

I am working with KPO as a MIS analyast and i have done B Com and now wish to do SAP .

Can you advice me on SAP BI module like what are the things i need to focus..technical or functional

i dont have technical knowledge of programing(like java)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nikhil,

I am admire to your best reply . I have setup little firm which is working on IT industry development and business promotional agenda.But i want move also at online portal and application business route.Please let how much, i get SAP support and which module is best to us.

- Abhay Shukla

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abahy,

I couldn't understand what you requirement exactly is. Please try to contact SAP Helpdesk. They would be able to help you for sure. You will find an option to chat also when you visit www.sap.com

All the best.

Regards

Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

I want know one thing, SAP BO and BW both are same or not?

If not, what's main difference, kindly clear may doubt....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jagadish,

Business Warehousing is collecting enterprise data from different source systems where as Business Objects is reporting enterprise data.

BW Example: An enterprise operating in different regions of a country and each of them have different databases. Again these databases may be of same vendor or different vendors. Their structure and nomenclature again may be different. But, managers would like to see and analyse the business at country level. Then, we need to combine the data in a meaningful way for analyzing purpose.

BO Example: An enterprise is using a business application to perform it's business. When users of that application enter data into that application and data gets generated. For analyzing this data, we need Business Objects. Using BO, we make Web Intelligence reports, Dash boards etc. These reports can also be scheduled to be sent to managers.

They are totally different tools, but related tools. Relation is that Business Objects may be used as next step of Business Warehousing.

SAP BO package contains different products in it, like Web Intelligence, Universe Design Tool etc.

Regards

Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikhil,

Thanks for your reply

Regards

Jagadish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nikhil,

I have one more doubt, actually in my laptop have windows8, is it possible to install sap bo4.0?

Regards

Jagadish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jagadish,

I feel that this blog will answer your question.

It says that BO 4.0 SP6 and above supports windows 8.

Regards

Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi jagadish,

you can install sap BO 4.0 in windows 8, u can install clint tools also..

you can try to install if its not done then u inform me i will help you.

Regards

Ripal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Abahy,

Learn what your business really needs and what you like to work on.

No need to know programming languages for working on SAP modules except ABAP, because ABAP is a native SQL.

Regards

Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Former Member
0 Kudos

I saw many posts in this discussion where people are asking which module is better and what should be their way forward.

Well, I think irrespective of what module you chose the success totally depends on your dedication and ability to adapt.

Also, dont depend on others for making decisions of you career. people can share their experiences, direct you, guide you but the decision has to be finally your.

If you want to get into SAP, then before you take any decision, go through the online material and see if you are really going to like working for it. I have seen people having bad careers in SAP BI and excellent growth in non-SAP technologies as well. so mind it its totally case basis.

Know your interests before you jump to any conclusions. Also, know that there are already technologies that are overpowering SAP BI. Better take an informed decision.

Also, you may find that there are many organizations that provide SAP trainings and some may lure you to get false exoperience and credentials but again here let me warn you, this is not going to help you. at the end, its going to be you working in the office where the said organization is not going to be able to help you. You may end up losing your job and the money you paid. Hence, make sure that you go for an organization that has been partnered with SAP or has official permissions for SAP trainings.

Remember success if not doing best but doing YOUR best.

Hope this help.

Thanks,

Swati.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swati or Any other experts,

I am working as IT Manager in Open systems,

I want to career shift in SAP that too in GCC countries , where ERP is an ideal choice.

However, I have a confusion in mind, whether SAP has any management course (Specifically SAP Manager) or Can I take BO and go as a Consultant?

P.s: My skill levels are high irrespective of technologies, I will quickly adapt to any role.

Thank you so much

-Shah

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shah,

First of all, I didn't get what you meant by SAP Manager. There are nothing like management courses but business managers are often given small courses so that they can use SAP tools. If you mean an IT manager who supervises some number of people working on SAP tools, I do not have any comment to make.

If you mean that start learning BO and become an SAP BO consultant is your other choice, I don't think that's a good idea for any experienced professional. I have graduated in 2014 and currently working on BO. I felt that the most important thing in SAP field is experience. I agree that it matters what your talents and skills are, but it needs experience to expertise in SAP field.

Since I'm a fresher or less experienced, you may consider other members or experts opinions too.

Thank you

Nikhil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, really helpful to understand the overall evolution SAP BI / Analytics has undergone so far.

Can you gurus please also elaborate on the way forward and how BW skill-sets are going to be affected with the advent and augmentation of HANA in the BI / Analytics ecosystem?

Will there be any room left for someone like me; more on a functional / design side, who doesn't know much of the core ABAP / DB development?

Regards,

Manish

0 Kudos

Hi guys

i have an query can you please  guide on below ....

i did my graduation in B.sc (Computers).

one of my friend suggested to join at Vayuputhra Communications Ltd is at yousufguda...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I my new to SAP with no experience or background (working with SAP). Can anyone help me in selecting the right module, I am bit confused with SAP BW/BI module or SAP BO module.

Can any of you guys please help?

Regards

Bhavin

0 Kudos

SAP BW and HANA are part of the database and technology set of products and has nothing to do with SAP BusinessObjects BI. SAP BW is part of the SAP Netweaver stack and is predominantly used as an Enterprise Data Warehouse (dedicated to reporting as opposed to an Operational Data Store).

SAP BI is a product suite that is used for reporting and can be deployed over a Microsoft EDW environment (SQL) or Netweaver (SAP BW) environment. SAP BI includes dashboards, explorer, web intelligence, etc. SAP BI is part of the BO (BusinessObjects suite of products). BO also has other product suites such as Enterprise Performance Management and Enterprise Information Management.

In turn BusinessObjects is part of the SAP Business Analytics set of products which also includes SAP GRC (Governance Risk and Compliance).

This is as far as I know at this point in time, but it used to be different before SAP purchased BusinessObjects. Then BI and BW were pretty much "interchangeable". Also, no guarantee how long this will be true.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If I may add, there are challenges in the BI/BW area. Since BI is a very vast area due to the mere fact that you have no idea what report/analytics an end user requires, it can/will be extremely challenging. Unlike specific SAP modules (SD, MM, QM, PP, FICO etc.,), BI/BW in theory, can encompass ALL SAP modules and external systems. You will have to interact with SAP functional consultants to understand where and how SAP/R3 data is stored since it eventually has to flow into BW for reporting and analysis.

Business Objects is a technology agnostic tool used for reporting and analytics. I think of BO as the wrapper and BW as the candy layer. The BEx plug-in that latches onto BW data from Excel is for beginners and quite primitive and hence people use fancy reporting tools such as Business Objects, CliqView etc., for reporting. My 2 cents.

Former Member
0 Kudos

former_member189849
Contributor
0 Kudos

Have you checked the below link

http://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BI/Overview+of+SAP+History+and+BW-BI+Evolution

Good info regarding to this q's.

Regards

Mahesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Karthick,

Please use SAP.com as guide to SAP portfolio. SAP.com is the best source to find existing products, official product names and up to date information on the entire SAP portfolio.

Here you can search by product name: http://www.sap.com/pc/a-z-products.html and drill down to learn more about each individual solution:

SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform, analytics edition
SAP BusinessObjects BI, Edge analytics edition
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (BI), Edge Edition
SAP Business Objects BI OnDemand
SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse
SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse Accelerator
SAP NetWeaver BW Powered by HANA

In addition, please browse respective SCN spaces. From http://scn.sap.com/welcome > Products tab (top left) > Analytics tab and you will see the Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing spaces where you can find more technical information about available SAP solutions in these areas.

Hope this is helpful. Thanks and regards,
Mariana
Former Member
0 Kudos

It was originally named as SAP BIW (Business Information Warehouse), then abbreviated to SAP BW, currently known as "SAP BI". As Peter mentioned it needs to be installed separately and here also both the technical and functional role exists.