Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data migration tools in sap

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i am newbie to s.a.p nd i got ma project related to data migration. we are taking data from legacy system to sap database. we are using a tool called cransoft. what about the future of this tool. how to plan my career in this data migration.need help from experienced persons. im a sap abap resource actually. im having practically no work using abap in this project.im very much concerned about ma career.help me out...

thank you

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi friends,

sap provides its own migration workbench tcode EMIGALL for legacy to sap data migration ,other tools for migration are eCATT,LSMW for minor data migration etc.

Migration is a wonderful activity from legacy to sap but its 1 time activity do not have much scope.try in functional modules like FICO,PM,BI or abap these r in high demand.

Regards

satish

0 Kudos

hi satheesh,

thank you for your reply.. but what the tool im using is an ETL tool(Extract,transform and load) like powercenter of informatica and more.. after some days the project is about to use BODI(business objects).. after using all these things,we are using LSMW and BDC as per business requirements to load into sap.. nd my concern s most about the previous part that is ETL tools.. we are using one tool today.. we are gonna move to BODI after some days. so it will be lyk we dont have hands on experience on one tool na.!!! thats ma problem... hope i have cleared ma question first ..

0 Kudos

Are you doing consulting or permanent employee?

If you are a consultant and the client discontinues the use of a certain tool, you can look for project at different clients.

If you are a permanent employee, you can learn the new tool

Just one piece of advice, try to be tool independant, it helps to have a wide variety of skillset rather than being a rocket scientist in one.

>>ma

I am not sure what this is, please use spell check and avoid SMS style language when posting your queries

Thanks

Aamir

0 Kudos

hi aamir..

im not a consultant,im an employee in a MNC. this is my first project in my career too.thats why im confusing myself a lot. as per your suggestion,ill learn most of the ETL tools ill be coming across. but after the completion of this project,my profile will show my experience in this certain ETL tools( BODI). if i want to move to some other company,and that company is also doing data migration using "powercenter"(suppose or something else other than BODI). will they accept my experience in BODI... or else i can only move to the project which is using ONLY "BODI" as data migration tool... will my career depend on the tool im working in or it depends on data migration only, regardless of the tool i have used.!!

1. sorry for using chat format of words##

0 Kudos

>>will my career depend on the tool im working in or it depends on data migration only

That is something which depends upon how much and what kind of experience you have, if you are an expert in one tool, then your career basically depends on it, but if you understand the concept and have good experience in multiple tools, then you will have broader domain.

In consulting, it is much easier to be an expert in one tool, you are not tied to one client and can find project somewhere else.

But if you are a permanent employee, then it helps to adjust your skillset as per the changing environment.

Having said that, you don't have to go after every tool in the market, try to diversify as per your interests and the market need.

Talking specifically about BODS, i have seen quiet a few clients using or planning to use it so its future looks bright, but then again, future can always change.

Thanks

Aamir

0 Kudos

thanks aamir..