cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting messages in Messages/Alert Window

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi to all of you,

I have a customer for whom some users have loads of messages, and they would like to clean up things. For example, the manager has over 35,000 messages, mainly in the Sent Messages tab. The thing is, deleting messages is quite a lengthily chore. Deleting only 10 messages took over 20 minutes ! I tried this on one of our server, with an identical setup, to delete 10 messages took somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes. How come can this be so LOOOOOONG ?

This customer is running B1 2007 SP00 PL41. And to add to this, users having a lot of messages are experiencing long login time also. I remember having through this before, so I looked into SAP Notes but did not find anything.

So my questions are:

- why in the world is this so long to delete messages ?

- is there some other way to mass delete these messages ?

- is there a configuration parameter that could speed up the things ?

- is 8.8 or 8.81 as slow deleting messages ?

- can you point me to a SAP Note, if one exists ?

Thanks a lot

Gilles Plante

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Plante Gilles,

Are you using Shift key when you was selecting messages in windows i think it will speed up ?

suppose u have 100000 messages in your send box.

Select first message with Ctrl key and scroll the window and select last message(100000) row holding with Shift key, now you have seleted all message

now use Delete button all message will be delete .

May it will help you

Thanks

Manvendra Singh NIranjan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manvendra Singh NIranjan,

this is the method I used to to select 10 messages - click and then Shift + click. I then clicked the Delete key, and it took B1 more than 30 minutes to delete them. Now imagine how much time it would take to delete 10 000 messages !

This is where my customer have a problem. I can't understand why it takes so much time to delete messages from the system. This is why I asked if there is another way to bulk delete the messages, one that would take a fair amount of time.

Gilles Plante

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I think only one option.

lets try when all user log out from SAP may it will decrease the time .

Thanks

Manvendra Singh Niranjan

Former Member
0 Kudos

For the test I have done, I was alone in B1. And there is also the fact that having a lot of messages stored makes the login process much longer than it should.

Something is wrong with this function.

Gilles Plante

Edited by: Plante Gilles on Jun 28, 2011 3:19 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem, I have a user with lots of messages in the Sent Messages Box, I would like to know how to mass delete them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello M. Jenkins,

you have only two solutions:

- do it manually, and wait

- create a message with SAP, so they do it using special queries

Unfortunately, there is no batch deleting in the software itself.

Gilles Plante

Former Member
0 Kudos

If I do it Manually, will it make SAP Log File LDF grow to a huge size?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hum,

I don't know. By doing it manually, I mean select a certain number of messages, the click Delete.

Gilles Plante

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very strange,

I just deleted 4 years of Sent Messages from the offending users mailbox, it took 5 Minutes this time, lightning fast !

Last week it was taking at least 1 minute each.

Bizzare??