Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CONVT_NO_NUMBER Unable to interpret "*0" as a number.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

I am encountering this dump while running a report in background. The report takes process order numbers as input and updates a Z-Table accordingly. However, this dump occurs only when the report is run in background. When run in foreground the report executes flawlessly.

Also, when the report is run for multiple process orders in background the dump is displayed.. On debugging the job i found the process order number relevant to the dump. However, when i executed the job in background for just this process order, the report was executed successfully.

Deparately in need of help!!!

Regards,

Xineohpi.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP has precisely pointed out the problem, so ignore the background noise and concentrate your efforts on finding precisely the field and the data value that causes your error.

Since '*0' is NOT a number, find the field in the dump that has that value in it and figure out how that value is getting there...the asterisk would appear to indicate an overflow condition, in which the input value exceeds the length of the numeric field. For example, I would expect to see this happen if I had a field(2) type n and my input was '100'. Check to see if that is what is happening to you, and why, based upon your input.

See other posts re: CONVT_NO_NUMBER errors....it's because a numeric field contains something other than digits, a decimal and a sign.

Edited by: DaveL on Jun 29, 2011 2:28 PM

8 REPLIES 8

former_member194416
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can analyze dump (st22) to see which numeric parameter assigned to non-numeric value (probably a specific case in program cause this and it must be corrected or a condition needs to be added to prevent it). It is also possible to debug background job using JDBG command in SM37.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

i did that. It is pointing to an if condition. Checked the data by debugging using JDBG also. it is accurate.

0 Kudos

Could you please send if statement and definitions for all parameters used in that ? Is that "if Statement" from a standard program or your program ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP has precisely pointed out the problem, so ignore the background noise and concentrate your efforts on finding precisely the field and the data value that causes your error.

Since '*0' is NOT a number, find the field in the dump that has that value in it and figure out how that value is getting there...the asterisk would appear to indicate an overflow condition, in which the input value exceeds the length of the numeric field. For example, I would expect to see this happen if I had a field(2) type n and my input was '100'. Check to see if that is what is happening to you, and why, based upon your input.

See other posts re: CONVT_NO_NUMBER errors....it's because a numeric field contains something other than digits, a decimal and a sign.

Edited by: DaveL on Jun 29, 2011 2:28 PM

0 Kudos

hey

I found the cause of the dump. The length of a counter was not sufficient to handle the loops.

If i would have checked your reply earlier would have saved a lot of time and effort. Thanks a ton though!!

Regards,

Xineohpi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

probably your variables length is not enough for the number.

For example you have a variable lenth 2 but you are assigning 100 to that variable.

That causes dump.Pelase check your data .

Best Regards,

Burak

0 Kudos

nice of you to repost my statements...

0 Kudos

yes Davel.you are right.sorry.its my fault not to read all replies.