cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting over HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

I took over the TZHANA course just to find that the main user reporting tools are over BO 4.0, so simple question, what to offer clients that dont have BO 4.0 as end user reporting tools, JUST Excel through ODBC HANA Driver or Crystal Report 2008??? What about Clients with BO XI 3.1 (Most of clients...)

Any information will be higly regarded.

Edited by: Jorge Arturo Lizama Saez on Jul 20, 2011 10:05 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

!! well could someone please settle if BO 3.1 SP4 will or not support HANA ¡

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jorge,

Well i have just finished SBOP 4.0 upgrade project with my client and the primary factor for upgrade was to have capability to do reporting on SAP HANA. Also I have attended HANA training with SAP and following are the option for reporting as of now.

1. Excel --ODBO -

> MDX -

> SAP HANA

2. CR 2011/ 2008 ---JDBC/ODBC -

> SQL -

SAP HANA

3. Explorer --- JDBC ---> SQL -

> SAP HANA

4. Analysis Office --- BICS / ODBC ---> SQL -

> SAP HANA

5. CR Entrp / WEBI / DD -

Semantic Layer --- JDBC/ODBC -

> SQL ---> SAP HANA

I dont think BO 3.1 supports reporting for SAP HANA.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I really appreciate your answer, i think its really settle the issue.

Thanks

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Does anyone have a link to where the client drivers can be downloaded for Hana?

Regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Client drivers are packaged in the SAP HANA Client version for Windows.

Regards,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Answer is in SAP HELP website.

Please visit : help.sap.com

Hope you aware of the navigation to determine "whats new in BOXI 3.1 SP4" pdf .

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP HANA supports only BusinessObjects Version 4.0.

It won't support BOXI 3.1 SP4. I reviewed "What's New in SAP BusinessObjects XI 3.1 Service Pack 4" Pdf under help.sap.com. There is no "NEW" feature like HANA included in this.

Please verify

Vitaliy-R
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I haven't seen unified information about BO BI releases either. If you look at OSS Note 1577128 - Supported clients for SAP HANA 1.0, it says "SAP HANA is Optimized and Certified Only for BI 4.0", to add "Currently this only includes XI 4.0 & 3.1" later on. So, go figure based on this note...

Instead, you can search in PAM for BO XI 3.1 SP4, and there it says (at least for Windows-based version), that SAP HANA database 1.0 is supported through JDBC and ODBC drivers for Web Intelligence and Universe Designer only.

Enjoy reading.

-Vitaliy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Great Answer!!!

So... 3.1 over SP 4 it's supported at least for Universe Design, and from there on to the BO 3.1 suite, great

Points Given

Best Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

At our POC we are using BI4 tools to connect to HANA system and setup was not a problem. We are using BI4 Explorer as well as WEBI for reporting and also Advanced Analysis for Excel.

Please note that HANA supports MDX - so in theory you can use various reporting tools but it does come with a performance hit and if you measure performance end to end then you want to make sure that the performance you gain from using HANA is not nullified by the frontend.

With BI4 we are currently connecting our IDT to the HANA calc view and then run Explorer/WEBI reports from there.

Harald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harald

I am working on a PoC on our internal HANA system and I would like to use Analysis for Excel to query an Analytic View.

I know we got this work on our TZHANA training course here in Australia and I think we used an ODBC connection to connect to HANA.

I can't seem to workout how to get my ODBC connection to be available when I select the "Data Source" in AA. All I see are all the systems on my SAP Logon pad but not the ODBC. Any pointers would be great.

Cheers

Dimitri

Former Member
0 Kudos

You need to download and install the IMDB Client on your desktop for the HANA version you are using and either 32bit or 64bit - depending on your Windows OS.

After you have installed that you go to Control Panel->System and Security->Administrative Tools

Open Data Sources (ODBC) and then you should see under Drivers the HDBODBC driver available.

Then add a data source for the HANA system and select the driver mentioned before.

This will now allow you to connect to your HANA sytem via Advnaced Analysis via Excel.

Harald

Former Member
0 Kudos

Harald.... then the question arise...., shouldnt the HANA ODBC driver come as an standalone installation?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hmm - it's a separate driver that you get by installing IMDB Client - then the driver will show up in the standard Windows Data Sources configuration manager that get's used by the Office client.

Vitaliy-R
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Jorge,

I would recommend you to use ODBO driver to connect to your analytic view. ODBC connects to SQL tables. Both ODBO and ODBC drivers are installed in one package - HANA Clients.

Cheers,

-Vitaliy

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have HDBODBC installed and it works fine for me when querying data in Excel

Now I`m trying to integrate a DelphiXE2 application with SAP Hana running on my 30 trial on CloudShare as described at http://tkssoftware.com/victory/sap-hana-delphixe2/

I can connect to the server but when trying to execute a query I get an error message “Error occurred while executing a MDX statement. The message is: Syntax Erro: Select * from “SFLIGHT”<<<<” for a simple SQL statement that runs ok in the SAP Hana Studio and Excel... what am I doing wrong?!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harald

Does your company still use Analysis for Office Excel against a HANA calculation view?

If you do, have you created calculations from the Analysis tab?

I am having a securtiy issue and would like to find someone who has been able to create calculations.