Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abap for BW

Former Member
0 Kudos

I want to learn ABAP for BW. Can anyone recommend a book that has a hands on approach for teaching ABAP for this purpose. I have previously programmed in Java, C++ JavaScript and PYthon. I saw a book on Amazon it is specifically title Abap for BW , has anyone used that book, although it seems to be THE book for my purpose but iam wndering if its too advanced for me. Ie o have the SAM teach urself ABAP in 21 days buts its from 1999. Would that book be ok or is outdated.

Thankd for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Before you start reading any ABAP book, you should know where all ABAP is used in BI and how much of the coding details are required,

Refer the following article, this will give you an overview about ABAP usage in BI.

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/30d35342-1fe3-2c10-70ba-ad0da83d23bd]

Regards,

Durgesh.

10 REPLIES 10

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per my knowledge, ABAP in 21 days is one of the best book to learn ABAP and my fav one. It is not outdated for BW because we don't use much more complex functionalitty in BW. (But for ABAP this book is some what outdated, the new features are not available in this book. still i will prefer this book for start.)

Now related to BW-ABAP, you might get lots of articles and blogs on SDN,

kindly refer below some links for more BW specific docs.

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BI/ABAPinBW

Many more...

Regards,

Ashish

0 Kudos

Thanks for your suggestions. I have started reading and working out some of the inital examples in ABAP in 21 days book and it seems to be pretty good, my only concern was with it being outdated since it was written in 1999, but thanks for clearing my doubts.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Before you start reading any ABAP book, you should know where all ABAP is used in BI and how much of the coding details are required,

Refer the following article, this will give you an overview about ABAP usage in BI.

[http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/30d35342-1fe3-2c10-70ba-ad0da83d23bd]

Regards,

Durgesh.

0 Kudos

Thanks Durgesh for sending me that link, it is helpful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

ABAP in BW is quite basic so i would suggest you that instead of going for a book you learn it according to uses .

ABAP code in BW are mainly like hooked subprogram which get added as part of auto generated code .Most of the BW requirement are logically tough and technically simple .

To learn the use of ABAP in BW you need more about in what kind of requirement which thing is used and how .

I will suggest you some basic fields in BW where we use ABAP :

1. In Transformation

Start Routine

End Routine

Field Level Routine

Expert Routine

2. Report Program

3. CMOD code

ECC side : for Data Source Enhancement

BW side : for Customer exits ,user exits

4. Filters

DTP Level

Info package

APD

5.Infoobject transfer routine

6.Creation of function module etc

For each of this lots of SDN articles are available and that will give you very good understanding with business scenario.

BASIC abap that one need to know is :

1.data declaration of different types (basic data types ,table ,work area )

2. LOOP statements

3. IF-ELSE decision control statements

4. use of work area

5. reading from table

6. Different types of statements like TYPES, DATA, CONSTANTS, PARAMETERS, TABLES ,use of SELECTION SCREEN (mainly in report program needed) Control statements and loops IF ... ELSEIF ... ELSE ... ENDIF CASE ... ENDCASE CHECK DO ... ENDDO WHILE ... ENDWHILE LOOP ... ENDLOOP

7.Operational statements

MOVE, ADD, SUBTRACT, DIVIDE

String operation : SEARCH, REPLACE, CONCATENATE, CONDENSE

Open SQL : SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, MODIFY

Operations on Internal table : READ TABLE, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, MODIFY

SORT, DELETE ADJACENT DUPLICATES, REFRESH

This will solve 90% of your BW ABAP requirement .

Hope this will be helpful .

Regards,

Jaya Tiwari

0 Kudos

Thanks Jaya, that is a very detailed list and should help me tremendously in learning ABAP for BW, Cheers!

former_member210615
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

in my opinion if want to learn abap you can simply learn by doing things yourself usually by book you get idea about how to go at things but when you try doing things then only you will feel more confident in the system plus your confidence get boosts up and you are able to analyze the problem better.

i would recommend you to consult ' Official ABAP Programming Guidelines '

it is very good book and i think best as well (in my opinion)

you will be able to learn abap conceptually plus it will be helpful with your hands-on experience as well

regards

laksh

0 Kudos

Thanks for the input. I will check out that book!

Former Member
0 Kudos

you can also check out some online learning tools for abap. a small review through the tcode abapdocu is helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

as far as bw/bi consultant..i think it will have only 5- 10 % of coding that too on the requirement basis.So do no worry about it you can gain lot of knowledge by learning the basics of ABAP and some relevant topics related to BI (like loop,if else decision control,using of work area,internal tables,string operations......)

thanks