cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR 2011, vs2010, winform app, increase Max List of Values (dynamic param)

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

(CR 13, VS 2010, vb.net, winform application. User needs to increase maximum size of List of Values in a dynamic parameter to about 2,200 values (I know it doesn't make full sense but that's what they insist they want).

KB 1218588 - provides instructions for older versions. Are there new instructions for Crystal 2011 in a winform VS 2010 application?

Is the limitation using a registry setting approach still 1,000 entries?

Is there a way to increase it beyond that?

I tried to apply the environment variable (BOE_CRLOVMAXSIZE) approach described in the following thread:

but that didn't have any effect for the user. Perhaps that approach works only for web apps?

Bottom line: where can I find instructions on how to increase LOV limit for Crystal 2011, winform, VS2010 application?

Also, is there a solution that works beyond the 1,000 limit?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Ido,

Maybe you could try to dynamically generate a registry file and execute this from you application?

The following is what I use to change the number of parameter values on client computers, since the Crystal Reports Viewer I created, doesn't have administrator rights when started.

Change the 5000 using variables.

Then use the following code to start the registry file.

System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("tempfilename.reg")

This is as the contents of your registry file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV]
"MaxRowsetRecords"="5000"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAP BusinessObjects\Suite XI 4.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV]

Good luck, and let me know if you found a solution.

Kind regards,

Pieter Jong

Crystal Advice

http://www.crystaladvice.com

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The 3rd registry line is probably what I nee.

Where did you get this information from? I can't locate any formal documentation about this.

I'll ask the customer to test and will report back here.

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Hi Ido,

As you know all of our keys are the same for each version except the starting version and path of course.

3rd one is the VS 2010 key and the second is the CR 2011 key.

Eventually as Kbase articles are found the info will be added or possibly a new one.

Like you Pieter as spends a lot of time updating and using CR.

Also note, Pieter has added a link to his site in his signature, you can also to your site... we have no problems with this...

Thanks

Don

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My user tried adding:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAP BusinessObjects\Crystal Reports for .NET Framework 4.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV

with a string value of 5000 for MaxRowsetRecords

but that hasn't changed the behavior in my Winform, CR 2011, VS 2010 application.

Could anyone find "formal" information about the required registry entry for that scenario?

Thanks,

- Ido

0 Kudos

Hi Ido,

The real documentation about this isn't available I think.

I have found this information searching the internet and different forums.

However, regarding your problem, are you using the 64 bit components? In that case you should change the 64 bit registry keys as well. I don't have that much experience using the 64 bit components, since my client uses computers that still run Windows XP.

I think you will have to look to the following key(s)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Business Objects\Suite 12.0\Crystal Reports\DatabaseOptions\LOV]
"MaxRowsetRecords"="6000"

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Pieter Jong

Crystal Advice

http://www.crystaladvice.com

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No, this is a 32-bit machine.

We seem to be engaged in a guessing game. I hope formal information can be found.

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

2nd attempt to see if anyone has a formal or tested answer about what registry key is needed to control MaxRowsetRecords in CR 2011 VS2010, winform .NET application.

daniel_paulsen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

try these settings in you app.config. I have not tried as I do not have an LOV over 1000 records.

from the developer guide:

maxNumberListOfValues

The maxNumberListOfValues element controls the number of LOV items that will be sent to the client. This controls the number of values displayed in the parameter panel. When this value is set, only the first n values will appear in a list of values. You will be able to page through multiple sets of values in the Advanced dialog box based on the size of your list, and the value of the maxNumberListOfValues element. For example, if you have 180 values, and you set the maxNumberListOfValues element to 50, then you will be able to see the first 50 values listed in the parameter panel. You will be able to page through all 180 values in the Advanced dialog box, which will display three groups of 50 values, and one group of 30 values.

It is recommended that this value always be greater than 0. The default value is 200.

<configSections>

<sectionGroup name="businessObjects">

<sectionGroup name="crystalReports">

<section name="crystalReportViewer" type="System.Configuration.NameValueSectionHandler" />

</sectionGroup>

</sectionGroup>

</configSections>

<businessObjects>

<crystalReports>

<crystalReportViewer>

<add key="maxNumberListOfValues" value="50"/>

</crystalReportViewer>

</crystalReports>

</businessObjects>

-Dan

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks, but my application gets deployed to different users and I need the registry option to allow different users to set the value based on their needs.

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I just received clarification from the user - the issue is not the total number of parameter values, but how many are showing in each parameter panel "page". They want to see all values in one long page.

Is there a registry key controlling that aspect? I need a registry solution because different users may want different behaviors.

daniel_paulsen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If its a winform app, then the app.config will be client-side so that each user could have their own settings. you just have to change the text file rather than the registry. What I would do is to put the settings in app.config using the Default setting of 200, then for the few customers that require specific settings document how to make the change.

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

I'll try that approach and report back. However, typically Crystal provides a way to control such settings via the registry. Can you confirm if such an option exist and. if so, under what registry key?

Thanks,

- Ido

ido_millet
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

The app.config approach solved the issue. Many thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ido.  You seem to be the only one i can find that actually solved this issue.  How exactly did you get to increase Max List of Values (dynamic parameters)?  By his, I mean the 200 limit per parameter panel "page".  I understand you changed the xml in the App.config file.  Where is this file located? Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Theodosius,

Did you ever get a reply to this? I don't see it on this thread if you did.

Ido,

Would you mind replying to this thread if you ever did discover a registry key?

All,

I am having what appears to be the same issue, but perhaps it will be suggested that I create a new thread as this is almost a year old.

Unlike Ido, I am not a programmer. I'm just a Consultant trying to assist clients with their Crystal Report issues. I have a client with 10,000 parts in their warehouse and when we try to create a parameter we see a filter with what appears to be a few hundred values on each "list" but only 5 lists - so nowhere near the total number of records in the table. Both Static and Dynamic yield the same lists.

We really have 3 problems with this:

1. They want an option to select all database records, and I can't find it.

2. They want to make sure the list includes all of their items.

3. They would really prefer not to have to see this pull down list containing partial groups of database values, is there a way around this?

Thanks,

Cullen Lowe

Answers (0)