cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't open file from an .rpt

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a User who is using CR-2011. If CR-2011 is not open and they click on a rpt file they get a message from CR-2011 stating the path can not be found. but if they open CR-2011 , go to 'file' >>> 'open' from the tool bar there is no issue, the Report opens up. Is this how it operates with CR-2011 Please advise.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Question :

Where is this report when it's double-clicked? If it's on their machine or shared folder then make sure the proper version of Crystal is registered to open RPT files. It's possible Windows has associated RPT files with either an older version of Crystal or an obsolete path.

Answer:

The "Open With" has these two choices : 'Crystal Reports', and 'Crystal Reports Launcher'. Even though I've deleted all older versions of Crystal Report, and deleted entree out of the Register, but when you click or open Crystal Reports the entrees are seen back into the Register.

Question :

If the report is an attachment in an e-mail and not actually on their machine yet, make sure the user has permissions to the temp folder. Windows will copy a read-only copy of the report to the temp folder then have Crystal open the report from there.

Answer:

User has admin rights. The Reports are on a Shared drive. I've installed the product on serval machines this is only one having this issue. It works fine when you first open Crystal Reports then go to 'file' then 'open' those same rpts on the same share drive.

0 Kudos

Hi Lee,

What OS does she have?

In Explorer on older OS's click on Options and File Types and you can associate rpt files to the CR 2011 crw32.exe.

In Windows 7 then it's here: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs\Set Associations

Try mapping the shared driver to the PC also, could be a DSN lookup problem.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

The OS in questions: WINXP Pro SP3 Version 2002 .

I will try the assoc. method you suggested and get back to you.

thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I attempted what you stated it did not work. Any other suggestions

0 Kudos

This sounds like it's a permission issue then. Is she logged in as a local PC administrator, Super User or guest?

If she right clicks on the crw32.EXE and selects run as Administrator does that work or does she get prompted for Admin password?

It could be UAC or DEP blocking the startup....

If she logs into another PC where it does work does that work for her?

You could try Process Monitor from Microsoft and monitor the permissions, look for Access Denied, and compare to one that does work. May be missing dependencies also like VS 2005 C++ Security file.

Don

former_member292966
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Where is this report when it's double-clicked? If it's on their machine or shared folder then make sure the proper version of Crystal is registered to open RPT files. It's possible Windows has associated RPT files with either an older version of Crystal or an obsolete path.

If the report is an attachment in an e-mail and not actually on their machine yet, make sure the user has permissions to the temp folder. Windows will copy a read-only copy of the report to the temp folder then have Crystal open the report from there.

Hope this helps,

Brian