cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow locking document - analysis, debug?

0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We are having issues making the WF's work in ESO 5.1

At this point, we are working with Contract WF's, but it's locking the documents.

Any pointers on how to make an analysis or debug of what the WF is actually doing?

We've added a logger for messaging coding in the pre/post scripts, but where is this actually seen? There's nothing on the Setup -> System Information-> Logs

Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Workflow execution is realized through a daemon process. You can take a look at the following. the fact that you couldn't see your log statements from you prescript indicates, the daemon is not on or the workflow daemon is stuck or has run in to an error even before reaching that step

Here are few other things you can check.

- Make sure the workflow daemon is switched on. To verify go to Setup>System Information>Daemons tab and check if workflow daemon is enabled. if not enable that.

- Go to setup>system administration>Background Task Status. Look for Daemon Alerts, Background Task Status: Check for any errors there.

- Check the "pending events queue": This should be empty ideally. A situation could be that one of the previous workflow has some errors which is crashing the workflow engine. if that is the case you may consider removing that event, if it is test environment. This

- you can also restart the workflow daemon (ODP_EVENT_WORKFLOW_ENGINE), by clicking on the "trash" icon, to restart thedaemon

Here is a blog i wrote on daemons a while ago. This may provide you additional insights..

[|]Thanks,

Baski

Edited by: Baski Janarthanam on Aug 31, 2011 11:20 AM

0 Kudos

Baski:

This information proved extremely useful.

Based on your response, we actually found errors in the Background Task Status -> Today Daemon Alerts.

Error Name: EVENT WORKFLOW ENGINE

Log Level: ErrorTimestamp:8/31/11 2:18 PM (CDT)Session ID:event_workflow_engineUser:daemonDescription: Workflow EngineMessage: Unexpected error handling eventDescription of document

Description: Exception: java.lang.NullPointerExceptionStack Trace: java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.frictionless.workflow.engine.handlers.PhaseChangeInstantiationRequestHandler.processActivity(PhaseChangeInstantiationRequestHandler.java:351)

at com.frictionless.workflow.engine.handlers.PhaseChangeInstantiationRequestHandler.processHook(PhaseChangeInstantiationRequestHandler.java:249)

at com.frictionless.workflow.engine.handlers.WorkflowEngineRequestHandler.process(WorkflowEngineRequestHandler.java:197)

at com.frictionless.workflow.engine.WorkflowEngine.process(WorkflowEngine.java:412)

at com.frictionless.workflow.engine.WorkflowEngine.processPhaseChangeInstantiationRequest(WorkflowEngine.java:134)

at com.frictionless.workflow.engine.WorkflowEngineDaemon.processPhaseChangeInstantiationRequest(WorkflowEngineDaemon.java:328)

at com.frictionless.workflow.engine.WorkflowEngineDaemon.processHook(WorkflowEngineDaemon.java:148)

at com.frictionless.comp.daemon.AbsEventDaemon.process(AbsEventDaemon.java:151)

at com.frictionless.comp.da...

We also found 2 Events under Pending Daemon Events:

Event Type: EVENT_WORKFLOW_ENGINE

Primary Type: 10050

Subtype: 1

Retry Count: 7

The other one shows the same info.

Should you be able to provide additional info on the above issue, it would be really helpful.

Otherwise, points will be awarded as your first post completely answered my question Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Glad it was helpful. This seems to be an XPDL error. Please check the validity of the xpdl used. It could be that the "FinishMode" property doesn't have a value set on the node in question.

Also Make sure you delete all of these events before trying with an updated workflow.

Thansk, Baski

0 Kudos

Baski:

Yes, we are in test environment.

Question is: How exactly are these events deleted?

"Pending Daemon Events" list only shows the list of event types, but there's no possibility of selection or any menu item which gives me the option to delete the event(s). It seems this is for information purposes only.

I also tried restarting workflow daemon "EVENT_WORKFLOW_ENGINE" by clicking on the "trash" icon. However, immediately when I do this, I get error: "A query group for: null Buy-side List could not be found. Contact your system administrator."

Pending daemon events were not deleted. 😕

Please note that we are using out-of-the-box ESO 5.1 SP 9, with Integration package.

Hope you can help me out on this one.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If I remember it right there should be an option in the UI to delete events. may be i am wrong.

As it is a test system, it's Ok to lock out a document and it's an on premise install, here is a hack to bring your workflow engine back.

Go to FCI_SYS_EVENT table and delete the corresponding events record.

E.g.

DELETE FROM fci_sys_event WHERE primary_type = 10050;

This will delete all the events related to workflow in the system. if you don't want to delete all workflow event add specifc clause as required.

Good luck...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Baski,

I am trying to disable Trash Icon on Contract Documents Tab for Contract Document in EXECUTED phase.

According to help from different posts, I had set Security profiles >Access Rights>Contract Generation>Contract Document>Delete>Allow and Administrative Delete>Deny. It should ideally keep the trash icon enabled until it reaches executed phase. But it disables all trash icons. I am unable to find the problem why its happening.

Please guide through if you have any idea.

Thanks,

Saloni

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hello all,

Sorry for not responding earlier... my laptop HD crashed and all my stuff had to be reinstalled

Good thing I was able to recover all my documents...

Now, going back to your questions. There we 2 things that were causing issues with our workflows:

a) The user being assigned as the WF Administrator. Make sure that, if you are testing the WF and you are launching it, to be assigned as a WF administrator.

b) Current versions available of Together Workflow seems to "delete" 6 rows of code that are mandatory, at least for ESO 5.1. These rows are:

<xpdl:StartMode>

<xpdl:Automatic/>

</xpdl:StartMode>

<xpdl:FinishMode>

<xpdl:Automatic/>

</xpdl:FinishMode>

These should be defined PER ACTIVITY, between xpdl:Performers and xpdl:ExtendedAttributes.

Make sure you add them in the code... depending on your editor, you might need to add them manually.

Hope this information was useful to you...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gilberto,

We also got the error message as follows (same as yours) when we tried to restart the Workflow Daemon from UI:

A query group for: null Buy-side List could not be found. Contact your system administrator

Have you tried the method suggested by Baski?

Thank you,

Vikram Shukla

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gilberto, Vikram,

We are also facing the same issue (NullPointer), how did yours get resolved?

Thanks,

MP

Edited by: MP1234 on Sep 30, 2011 4:40 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

It has not been resolved for us yet. Gilberto?

Thanks,

Vikram