cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sizing for SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise 4.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Expert

I would know if someone have experience relating the sizing of SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise 4.0 on windows platform

By reading the document on :

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/10ccbdf2-139f-2e10-61a0-d4af67b6257b&override...

at pag. 18 I can see that :

Minimum Server Hardware Requirements (Updated)

4 x 2.0 GHz Core CPU

8 GB RAM minimum / recommended 16GB*

* Sizing Companion for SAP BusinessObjects BI 4.0 states: u201CIn terms of typical hardware in an enterprise scale deployment of BI 4.0, a node in a BI 4.0 cluster would typically be an 8 core machine with 16GB minimum or equivalent.u201D

I think that this configuration is related to a "Central configuration" where DB server, Web Application Server and CMS Server are installed in a unique Host.

Instead I'm going to use a "Distribute configuration" and I would use the following configuration:

server1: Data Base

server2: Web Application Server

server3: CMS Server

server4: CMS Server

I would know (based on your experience) if the following configuration could be fine for a production environment:

server1= 4 x 2.0 GHz Core CPU , 4 GB RAM

server2= 3 x 2.0 GHz Core CPU , 4 GB RAM

server3= 3 x 2.0 GHz Core CPU , 4 GB RAM

server4= 3 x 2.0 GHz Core CPU , 4 GB RAM

Thank you in advance for collaborations

regards

giovanni

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

And remember, the components of the architecture that do the "Heavy Lifting" are actually the report processing servers for Web Intelligence, Crystal Reports, BusinessObjects Analysis, etc. If you have only 4 physical servers that are close together on the network and the licensing to support it, you may want to consider putting the System Database and web server on a dedicated server (even through the CMS database has low activity).

Then putting two CMS servers on two servers--This will allow you to cluster them, as each CMS can handle about 200 simultaneous requests (and the CMS is the only server component that CAN be clustered)

So at that point, your architecture would look something like this:

Server 1: System Database, Web Server

Server 2: CMS

Server 3: CMS

Server 4:

From there, you really need to think about which of the reporting/analysis tools you are going to use and HOW you are going to use them. For example, if you plan to use Web Intelligence exclusively for ad-hoc reporting, you might use your dedicated server #4 for the Webi servers and just keep a couple of instances of the other servers, "just in case" you wanted to use them in the future. Likewise, if you are using Crystal Reports extensively, you may choose to ramp up the number of Crystal Reports processing servers.

Or if you wanted to split the tools evenly across the architecture, your landscape may look something like this:

Server 1: System Database, Web Server

Server 2: CMS, CR, Webi, MDAS, Explorer

Server 3: CMS, CR, Webi, MDAS, Explorer

Server 4: CR, Webi, MDAS, Explorer

This would give you the most flexibility, as all servers could process all of the different report types. If you are unsure of how you are going to use BusinessObjects (i.e. Crystal Reports vs. Web vs. BO Analysis, etc.) you can setup an initial architecture, then use the Auditing Database that ships with the product to determine how users are using the system. The auditing database will provide the numbers you need to determine if you need to change the architecture around to support more Web Intelligence users, for example. Or if you are scheduling more Crystal Reports, etc.

In BI 4.0, you also have some nice auditing and alert features that you can use to determine memory use, processor utilization, etc. and then be alerted when they reach a certain threshold.

You can then use the Central Management Console (CMC) to add/remove servers as required to get the optimal architecture. And always remember that your SAP BusinessObjects architecture can be tuned as your needs and requirements change-- the CMC provides a web-based interface for you to make these changes with a minimum of fuss.

Hope this helps!

David

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David

can you explain what you mean by the CMS is the only server that can be clustered. We are running ...

Server1: tomcat, cms, frsin, frsout, cache servers, event server, AJS(various Intelligence Tier services), APS(various Intelligence Tier service) APS(monitor service)

8GB 2 CPU

Server3: AJS_Webi, AJS_Crystal, APS(various Processing Tier components), APS_MDAS, ConnectionServer, CR2011_ProcServer, CR2011_RAS,CRE_ProcServer,DashboardAnalytics, DashboardDesignProcServer,DashboardServer, WebiProcServer

16GB 3CPU

Server2: tomcat, cms, frsin, frsout, cache servers, event server, AJS(various Intelligence Tier services), APS(various Intelligence Tier service) APS(monitor service)

8GB 2CPU

Server4: AJS_Webi, AJS_Crystal, APS(various Processing Tier components), APS_MDAS, ConnectionServer, CR2011_ProcServer, CR2011_RAS,CRE_ProcServer,DashboardAnalytics, DashboardDesignProcServer,DashboardServer, WebiProcServer

16GB 3CPU

Server 13 form one side of the HA cluster with Server24 the other. You need to make sure you configure any shared directories correctly (not just the FRS) like for Monitoring and Search etc. We have the CMS and FRS instantaneously replicated (split) by going through a vitual IP node so the HA\failover is taken care of.

These are all clustered on Linux and work fine (except for some issues with the Dery database for Monitoring).

We have a separate LCM box altogether so don't run any LCM services on the DEVT, QUAL, PROD boxes.

Cheers

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Take a look at these documents about Sizing a BI 4.0 environment.

http://www.service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700000302282011E

You will need SAP Service Marketplace account.

Good luck and let me know how you go.

Cheers,

Ainsley