cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who are your SCN Friends ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well I have been on SCN since 2006 or 2007. But have made no friends on SCN as such.

May be cause SCN provides very little scope for one-to-one personal communication.

Everything seems to be so formal and technical on SCN.

Despite of this, I am sure lots have made friends, share with us who are your friends, whom you have made on SCN.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have met many people via SDN, also in person later at Techeds and we even organized an SDN ski weekend in our area with some of these SDN friends.

I also regularly email with some of the active contributors.

If you look beyond the cold technical front you will always find a friendly beer on the inside (or cup of tea

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

You are one of prominent member and moderator who's presents is felt in Basis forums.

Sure, you will have many friends around here

Cheers

Regards,

Hussain

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I do however also observe regularly is how the silly SDN points system turns people into rivals and enemies, although they might otherwise have been friends.

This is a real pity about SDN. Actually it is a shame and has driven many people away from SDN.

Others have felt the temptation to cheat the points system because of this as well and they are typically forced out as a result (unless they are SAP employees, in which case it is dealt with similarly to priests who have "moments of weakness"...).

After all, you dont make friends in a table dance club either...

Does anyone have such stories to tell, if not about making friends on SDN?

Cheers,

Julius

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hussain - I donu2019t come to forums to make friends to begin with, but it could happen. One of the reasons why people can hardly become friends is the u201Ccultureu201D in forums is somewhat ethnocentric. Likely one would make friends with the same u201Cbackgroundu201D, I hope Iu2019m wrong.

Cheers.

Edited by: Passing By on Nov 17, 2011 8:48 PM

bpawanchand
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I Have so many friends from SCN , They are now even in my FB, Linkedin too, and I met personally some of them during the projects, at teched too....

Well I do not agree with the point 'coz of points friends are becoming rivals' , but , I agree to the point 'cheating has become practice for the sake of points'..

I have so many friends even from workflow forum....

Thanks to SCN and Happy to be the part of SCN.

Regards

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if I have friends here on SCN.

Would you like to be my friend?

Is there some kind of option -like in Facebook- to add you as my friend?

Regards

Erika

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would love to make friends on SDN. But sadly right now there are no feature that encourage such friendship.

Unless we follow the forums and Blogs very closely.

And I dont think SDN will have facebook integration anytime soon. Any idea moderators ?

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can add users to your "favourite list" by viewing their business card and clicking the stealthy little link to action "Add user to favourite list" in the top left corner of the business card.

regards, Lukas

P.S. Keep the Facebook-Antichrist out of SDN please...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well one thing I am glad of that

Marilyn accepted my friendship on FB even before I started this thread

So I can say yes I have one friends

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

LinkedIn is a good place to connect with the fellow SCN members. There is even supposed to be some kind of integration with SDN profile, but last time I checked it still wasn't working for everyone.

Keep the Facebook-Antichrist out of SDN please...

Amen to that. The "must see" South Park's 'Facebook' episode was on TV again last week.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, The integration with Linkedin is not not working

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A few of us Bangalore based SAPians had met for an evening of cricket and dinner. Don't see why it cant be done more often.

pk

PS: With the TechEd in town right now, we can always meet up.

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry Lukas! I promise I'll never mention the word facebook in here again

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No need, since the transformation already happened with the new SCN :-///. All that facebook-included stuffings will be hardest for me to adapt to :-/. Guess I'm the last person on earth avoiding "social" networks.

Collaboration Platform Designers these days! With their Likes and their Follow Buttons and their advanced blog editor tools and their Cloud Computing and their Sony Playstations and their Blu-Ray Discs and their Hula-Hoops and their...  

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not so certain that there is a "one size fits all" forumula for "making friends" here on SCN or in any environment for that matter, but I do know that to create any kind of relationship one must be ready to reach out and communicate directly. I've spent a good deal of my "time" here commenting publicly and often when I felt really inspired to do so, creating a more "private" communication because I genuinely wanted to learn more about someone, or acknowledge their valuable contribution, or just thank them for a service provided to the community at large and to me by extension.

I've also made the effort to have face to face interactions with people from this community. That takes the online interaction to another level, although there are people here who I highly admire and respect that I have never met in person and might indeed never meet that interact with me in a very "friendly" way, with potential for real connection, even if that real connection remains communication in a virtual environment.

Some people think of friends as those people who are akin to close family. How many of those do each of us have? A very personal question I would think. And in wondering about "making" friends, I'd also ask myself: "am I a friend"?. Would I take the extra time to help someone? Would I acknowledge someone for help given? Who are the people whose council I seek? Whose advice would I look to follow? And interestingly, the piont system doesn't come into the conversation at all when I think about that kind of "reputation". But the principles of real "friendship" do My friends in my life (which includes my professional friends) are people who I respect professionally but they are also people who accept me and I them with flaws and foibles as well as talents and skills.

And special events and meetups are great ways of creating bonds and connections. I have the privledge of doing that through the SAP TechEds and other SAP events, but quite honestly, before I was in a position to attend those, I looked for (and even helped create) local activities that enabled me to interact with like minded professionals.

Some people say: "the best way to make friends is to be one".

mahesh_madhavan
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Marilyn, that was quite emotional....

Even though I've posted some queries in SDN in the past six months, I've never got a real feel of person-to-person interaction here in SDN... I think it has a lot to evolve as a blog... May be we can think of something in the lines of twitter or facebook to add more life to it....

Cheers,

Mahesh M.S.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marilyn,

You have put all points for professional friendship. I completely agree on all the points.

I would like to add that SCN lacks ability to add individual personality. And with that I takes lot of time to know other members virtually.

Nature of SCN is as a help-desk, and less of social / professional network.

People come here only when they have issues and problem (average member).

If you see the larger picture there is a scope for lot of improvement.

I am sure you will accept this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

former_member205352
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> If you see the larger picture there is a scope for lot of improvement.

Something like this [blog|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/25840] [original link is broken]; states ?

Its exciting!!

mahesh_madhavan
Participant
0 Kudos

Wow! This seems to be a really exciting one!!

Thanks for sharing it, Praveen.

Cheers,

Mahesh M.S.