cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAD Desktop SAP Plm integration strategy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo all

I'm evaluating a group solution to integrate CAD's (NX, Inventor, SolidWork) in a unique environment.

Each CAD Integrator is proposing a different solution to integrate SAP-PLM with the CAD (See CENIT-Connect fwith CATIA or DSC ECTR with NX or .ress with Pro/E)

There's someone that can brightnen up on this topic? What is or there's a SAP strategy with the integration of CAD Desktop with SAP-PLM?

Thank you to reply

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

CAD Softwareu2019s can be integrated with SAP using the CAD interfaces provided by the partners. If you have Pro/E and Catia and if you intend to integrate with the SAP, you will be requiring two interfaces provided by Reiss Engineering for Pro/E and CENIT for Catia respectively. Both Reiss and CENIT are partners with SAP. Similarly more the number of CAD softwareu2019s more the number of CAD Interfaces required which will be provided by the SAP from the partners.

Below are the CAD Interfaces Developed by SAP and partner:

AutoCAD,

Micro station.

Inventor,

Pro/ENGINEER,

Unigraphics,

Solid Works,

Solid Edge,

CATIA V5,

Apart from these CAD softwareu2019s, to integrate with other CAD softwareu2019s, there are other vendors too but they are not partners of SAP.

Hope this information helps.

Rgds,

Sudharshan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mr Sudharshan

Thank you for your answer but I was already aware about the need of different interfaces for the different types of CAD Softwareu2019s. I'm also Aware that I have to buy the CAD integration for every CAD. My question (may be it was not so clear) was posted in order to understand if SAP has a strategy to provide more and more a better integration between CAD-Desktop and SAP-PLM 7+ taking also care about the interactivity of the GUI. Today CAD users are accostomed to work interacting with the PLM trough the CAD and Interacting with the CAD trough the PLM. Looking at the solution proposed by the integrators (PLM alliance) only ECTR++ seams to have this funtionality but it works only with Unigraphics. Ther question for me is: There's a mid or long term strategy to provide these funtionality to all CAD users (whatever CAD they use) with a unique evolved CAD-DESKTOP ? In simple words I would like to know what is the SAP developing roadmap for CAD Desktop.

Thank you for helping me.

ulf_petzel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

CAD Desktop is used in all CAD integrations, irrespective which CAD tool / integration partner you are talking about. ECTR from DSC is a additional add-on you can license from them, to act as a central engineer's work place based on Windows technology.

Typically, most of the CAD authoring activities that require interaction with the SAP PLM backend are triggered directly from the CAD authoring tool via menu entries.

SAP is planning to tie the PLM web UI capabilities like Access Control Context assignment etc also into the master data creation and update activities available in the CAD Desktop.

Regards, Ulf.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marco,

It has been several years since you initially posted the question regarding SAP's strategy to provide a common interface for CAD integration.

In April of this year, SAP announced the the new tool integration platform for SAP PLM , called the SAP Engineering Control Center. The SAP Engineering Control Center will serve as the platform to support all of the CAD integrations developed by SAP's partners. Each partner will be responsible for ECTR of their own CAD integration (responsible partners listed below).

CIDEON: AutoCAD, Inventor, Solid Edge, SolidWorks, PTC Creo (*support in North America/ .riess implementation partner)

DSC : NX

CENIT: CATIA V5

.riess engineering: PTC Creo

Hope this helps...

http://www.news-sap.com/sap-develops-new-strategy-for-authoring-tool-integration/

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Marco,

In continuation of Christoph's post, find few more links here which explaines the SAP’s new authoring tool integration platform, SAP Engineering Control Center.

http://www.dscsag.com/epaper_ectr/en/#/14

http://www.dscsag.com/

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sudharshan M