Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch Management cannot be activated

madan_bhirangi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

Its just not another Batch management activation issue. I read through the earlier posts without much help.

I'm creating a 'New' material and after entering all information in MM01. When I tick 'Batch Management Indicator' in either purchasing or plant/storage view, I get display error which reads 'Batch management may not be defined for value only materials'.

The material type used is spare parts and in OMS2 it uses both Quantity/Value updating. Valuation category is blank in accounting view. The material type is not semi-finished or finished goods. I have checked all the batch management config in Logistics general-->batch management and it appears fine.

What can be the possible reasons for the error?

Regards,

M B

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member540826
Contributor
0 Kudos

The material which were created before the changes in the material type will not be under the quantity update. Please create the new material and you will be able to create the batches without error. Hope this helps.

former_member564225
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>

> Its just not another Batch management activation issue. I read through the earlier posts without much help.

>

> I'm creating a 'New' material and after entering all information in MM01. When I tick 'Batch Management Indicator' in either purchasing or plant/storage view, I get display error which reads 'Batch management may not be defined for value only materials'.

>

> The material type used is spare parts and in OMS2 it uses both Quantity/Value updating. Valuation category is blank in accounting view. The material type is not semi-finished or finished goods. I have checked all the batch management config in Logistics general-->batch management and it appears fine.

>

> What can be the possible reasons for the error?

>

> Regards,

> M B

Hi MB,

Its a simple Logic that if the material stocks aren't quantity updated how can you have stocks for the materials? No stocks No batch. If you have configured wrongly for value only then change the same in OMS2.

Regards

Shiva

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please check once in 0MS2 whether the quantity update in your plant or not.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP says in the message 'Batch management may not be defined for value only materials' that your material type is customized as value only material.

Which means that your material type ERSA has no quantity update in the plant you are using.

Go back to OMS2 and check if you really have the radio button set for quantity update in your plant.

madan_bhirangi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for your replies.

I have checked it...I guess now 100 times. However the material type allows both quantity as well as value updation in OMS2.

Any other reason?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just to make sure: did you click the folder for quantity/value in the left window?

I am just asking as I made the experience that people mixed the plant specific settings for quantity/value update with the general settings made in the detail view of the material type

former_member329706
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sometimes happens, whenever you create a new material type and there the only value update is ticked and the TR had been transported and refr material had been creted.Later due to some requriment you will again update qty update field and will release new TR when try to create the material master the s/m holds the old data only , so better try with releasing the TR with refershing old data and try again and check the same.

madan_bhirangi
Explorer
0 Kudos

thanks again

yes, I clicked the left window where I can see Plant/Mat type with both values ticked. In Material Type detailed view, Quantity/Value updating is set to 'By valuation area'.

Patilmallinath,

I tried unticking Quantity updating in OMS2 and transported to test systems. Then again i tried, re-checking quantity updating and re-transported back to test systems. Inspite of doing this as well I cannot create a new batch managed material for spare parts.

For semifinished or finished goods I can create batch managed materials but not for spare parts.

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

can you give me the message number of message 'Batch management may not be defined for value only materials'

because I dont find this message in T100

madan_bhirangi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Batch management requirement cannot be changed; choose "Display errors"

Message no. M3530

former_member564225
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Message no. M3530

Hi MB,

You have quoted TWO errors, one above in bold and

'Batch management may not be defined for value only materials'

How is this possible.

In the second case, system checks if there are any stocks w/o batch mgt. Pls chk

Shiva

madan_bhirangi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Shiva.

It is the same error.

Message no. M3530 - this is line appearing when I save MM01

When I click the display error button in top left,

The batch management requirement cannot be changed for the following reasons:

'Batch management may not be defined for value only materials'

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What I can see is that this is a retail specific check.

It is issued in program LMG08U10 in case "IF NOT FLAG_WAMAT IS INITIAL"

this FLAG_WAMAT is set in program LMG08F00

after checking at table T134W and T134M

do a se16 at those 2 tables and tell me what values in field MENGU and WERTU you see for your material type in the desired plant

madan_bhirangi
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Jürgen L.

We are using standard ECC 6.0 - EHP4

T134W - Empty

T134M - Both fields have X

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

then you should open a message at SAP to get help.

former_member564225
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Shiva.

>

> It is the same error.

>

> Batch management requirement cannot be changed; choose "Display errors"

> Message no. M3530 - this is line appearing when I save MM01

>

> When I click the display error button in top left,

>

> The batch management requirement cannot be changed for the following reasons:

>

> 'Batch management may not be defined for value only materials'

Hi MB,

Which material type you are using? if you have copied, what is the sourc mat type?

Shiva

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

is your spare part material type already in use, I dont mean specifically the material number where you have the problems, just in general, do you already have spare parts materials with stock in this specific plant?

or is the material type new in your system? or is the plant new in your system?

madan_bhirangi
Explorer
0 Kudos

The material type used is RLMS (RLM Spare parts)

Plant and material type are not new. Both have been created 1 yr ago. Yes, spare parts stock exists in the plant. There are some materials which are not batch managed and some which are batch managed in the same plant.

Thanks.

former_member564225
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The material type used is RLMS (RLM Spare parts)

>

> Plant and material type are not new. Both have been created 1 yr ago. Yes, spare parts stock exists in the plant. There are some materials which are not batch managed and some which are batch managed in the same plant.

>

> Thanks.

Hi MB,

Are you saying you already have some stocks of the materials under same Material Type? If so system will not allow you to use batch mgt activation unless you empty the stocks.

Batch Mgt is material specific, so if you have stocks of material-A w/o batches, you can't change the setting.

Shiva

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

if there would be stocks for the material where he want to set the batch management indicator, then he would have received a different error message in the error log.

RLM (remote Logisticsis Management) an IS-OIL specific enhancement, right?

the docu talks about a path Logistics à Remote Logistics à Shipping à Environment à Material stock à Batch stock list.

This makes me certain that you can manage RLMS materials with batches.(I initially thought that this might be a limitation)

If you can confirm that other materials with stock of material type RLMS have a value in MB52 stock list, then you have an evidence that the material type is value managed (despite what is already known thru the settings in the customizing table

If you see a value, then you should open a ticket at SAP for help, then there might be a glitch between standard ERP functionality and this RLM enhancement.

madan_bhirangi
Explorer
0 Kudos

The issue is resolved. Basic fundamental reason.

Valuation area is maintained at plant level in system. The batch is unique at material level in system. It means batch is same for all plants (all valuation areas).

New plants were created (i.e new valuation areas) and the value updating was set for these plants while the quantity updating was not set. Since you cannot manage batches without quantity updating set, you cannot create batch managed materials for that material type. Even though the new material was not created in new plants, the system looks at table T134M and verifies entry for all plants for that material type before creating a new material master record.

The new plants should either have both value/quantity ticked or both should be blank or only quantity updating.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This Kind of Solution Mesasges in the end by the thread creator will definitely help and aviod many repetitive thread for the same issue.

I resolved the same  issue with the help of this solution.

Zubair

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Kindly cross check the configuration settings using the below link

http://www.sap-img.com/materials/config-setting-in-batch-management.htm

Regards,

Divya