cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BW 3.5 to 7.3 Upgrade

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are planning to upgrade BW 3.5 to 7.3 ( technical upgrade only).

If any one has done this can you please share issues with us.

We know that we have to have migrate teh securites from 3.5 to new 7.3 authorizations. IS this migration too complex?

We use lots of Woorkbooks, will that also be impacted if yes probable correcting steps?

Your thoughts on current data loads and Info-source impacts will also be appreciated.

You inputs will really help me.

Thanks in Advance to you all

Mukesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Helpful directions.

Few more questions:

we don't have JAVA stack as of now for BW 3.5.

We have lots of woorkbooks and WADs.

After updgrade to 7.3 technically,

1.do we have to have migrate the WADs?

2. Will the existing woorkbooks work without any Java stack?

3.means the BEX 3.x via Excels sheets will work right? unless we convert them in new woorkbooks manually?

Please suggest a good apporach for woorkbooks and WADS to handle in BW 7.3.

We want to have whatever as of now work perfectly as of now and in future we will not work on woorkbooks and will create or migrate WADs as and when require.

Your inputs will definitely help us.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

In technical upgrade we use ABAP+JAVA Stacks

But some times we just install ABAP Stack in upgraded version. Disadvantage of "without JAVA stack" is you can not use WAD 7.0

1.do we have to have migrate the WADs?

Ans. You are doing technical upgrade only, So no need of migrating Any report or WAD.

2. Will the existing woorkbooks work without any Java stack?

Ans. Yes, But still I will recommand insatll ABAP+ JAVA Stack

3.means the BEX 3.x via Excels sheets will work right? unless we convert them in new woorkbooks manually?

Ans. No need of migrating workbooks.

Regards,

Sushant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mukesh

By now you would have completed your migration.

CAn you please advise on teh new 7.3 Authorizations. We also want to do a migration from 3.5 to 7.3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Jimi.

Do you have any advice on the 3.5 -> 7.3 authorization conversion? We're planning the upgrade to start in few weeks, and its not clear yet how this conversion will take place.

Should we do the conversion in development system, and after transport to production system?

What about authorization variables in queries? Any changes on it?

Thank you.

Henrique

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jimi, Henrique,

We are still doing upgrade it got delayed for some reason but we have successfully completed the Sandox and Development systems in 7.3

We approach we did was 2 step upgrade:

1. BW 3.5 to 7.02

there we used RSECADMIn tcode and Migrated the Old Auths to new Auths.

15 - 30 min job and we didn't do regression testing if all auths are working or not but the logs of migrations if they are all green, we proceed further to step 2.

Step 2 BW 7.02 to 7.3

We did thorugh testing here for all Auths and if we found some issues we fixed  and captuered in transports for QA systems.

We have separate security consultant who is migrating both autometically and manually the Roles.

Migration steps are simple and can be found over SDN.

Thanks

Mukesh

RolandKramer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

Make sure you don't miss the ASU toolbox described in Note 1000009 for all pre/post steps encountered from 3.x to 7.0x Upgrades, and the recent updated Information for the Upgrade from 7.0x to 7.3x

Additional Impacts are described in the Presentation here: http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-12042

Best Regards Roland

former_member210630
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mukesh,

Check the pdf at below scn link completely, you will get useful information on the considerations to be there in place, I feel that this doc is enough for you & covers all the aspects

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d00f4372-e2fa-2d10-1ea7-efdfacd07...

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pawan,

I already gone thru the PDF and it is more for Basis point of view and It doesn't talk about much about issues with 3.5.

The pages in document where authorization is mentioned , I have read that and by that only I came to know that we have to have migrate teh old authorization.

My questions are:

1. One who did that migration , did they face any issues, Is there a automated way to migrate the authorizations?

2. The impact of upgrade on existing data loads and process chaims ( 3.5 data flow and process chains).

3. Impact on Infosources.

4. Impact on woorkbooks.

5. Issues faced after migration as contest of BW consultant not with Basis.

It would be a great help if someone share there after migration test cases or issues they faced or the resolutions after upgrade in bw from 3.5 to 7.3.

I know some objects may need activation manually after upgrade.

valuable inputs from those who already did the upgrade from 3.5 to 7.3.

Or we need to just upgrade tp 7.0 and wait for soemtime to upgrade to 7.3.

Thanks in advance for help

Mukesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

ANy Help please

Former Member
0 Kudos

I did Technical upgradation from 3.5 to 7.0,

1. One who did that migration , did they face any issues, Is there a automated way to migrate the authorizations?

Ans. I not face any issue regarding authorizations as that job done by BASIS team.

2. The impact of upgrade on existing data loads and process chaims ( 3.5 data flow and process chains).

Ans. There will be no impact on existing data flow and Process Chain

3. Impact on Infosources.

Ans. No

4. Impact on woorkbooks.

Ans. If in your 3.5 Workbook if any VBA macro codes is devloped then it's might be not available in 7.0 Workbook

5. Issues faced after migration as contest of BW consultant not with Basis.

Ans. Please check my no. of prior post for your answer

Also you can upgrade 3.5 to 7.3 directly

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/d00f4372-e2fa-2d10-1ea7-efdfacd07965

Former Member
0 Kudos

/message/10751660#10751660 [original link is broken]

1. Impacts/Risks to be considered during the upgrade?

Major Impact/Risk is System will upgradation might be fail due to lack of awareness specially from BASIS side

If your user is using BEx MAP (Geographical Maps) in 3.5 Analyzer which will not available in 7.0 analyzer but they can view it in WAD 7.0

Proper Time estimation for downtime of BW system to users. You can identify how much time it will take during SANDBOX(Here Sandbox mean your Production replica) upgradation.

Proper post upgrade testing is recommended in sandbox itself to identify issues, So will be ready in advance while Prdn upgrade.

Before taking responsibility of post-upgraded BI system from BASIS, Please tell your BASIS to run "RSA1 " Transaction code

from their ID.

2. BW Delta queues/Source system connection - Impacts?

Before prepare Phase start "load manually all your delta upto PSA", So no records will be missed.

3. How Process Chains scheduling can taken care during this process?

As I mention above after manual loading complete, Unscheduled all your Process chain.

4.Before this do i need to get any information from them related to Upgrade?

What is SP in ECC 6.0 and New BW 7.0

Is IP Address and Host Name of current BW 3.5 will remain same or Different in next upgrade

Operating System also going to upgrade?

What is new Database

Regards,

Sushant