cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sql server backup and deletion

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need to execute daily backup for sql server on windows and also need to delete the old backup in the backup folder.

I am able to do backup by right click on db sid but how delete old backup?

Thanks & Regards,

Subba Rao

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Subba Rao,

Are you trying to schedule the daily backup on TSM or on local server disk itself ?

In case of TSM, you do not need to delete the old backup, TSM/tape team will automatically schedule that for you.

In case of local disk backup, you can schedule a windows deletion batch program to delete the old backup according to date filter may be. Or we can utilize the Maintenance Plan strategy as well.

What is SQL Server Version ? We can schedule the SQL backup and deletion of previous/old backup via a single Maintenance plan. Please go through the documentation.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How to try maintenance plan ? can we keep one week backup using this ? i mean what advantage of maintanance plan ?

thanks for help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Why you need to keep all the old backups for a week ? If the backup is on Disk then it will be a huge disk consumption I guess, depending on the backup dump size.

However, you can achieve this via Maintenance plan. Please read the documentation links and their related links as well -

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189036.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187658.aspx

One more advantage is, we can schedule multiple tasks/backups in a single Maintenance Plan Job - For e.g. the full online backup, transactional log backup, other backups - master, sdb etc., all backup deletions. Several other options are available, but you need to explore that.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks for help..i want to keep at least 2-3 days backup. please confirm is this ok?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

That is OK.

Please make sure that you keep 'backup deletion' task before the 'backup execution' task in a single day for a single job in the Maintenance Plan. Threshold value can be provided as - delete the backup files older than two days.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bhudev,

we need your support for TSM with SQL DB.

How can we get contact with you?

Thanks

Marina Nazarenko

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subba Rao,

as par my knowledge you are tacking backup through SQL studio Manager?

if yes than u have to schedule backup through studio manager and click in overwrite existing file ...so need to delete old backup file.

Regards,

Hiten

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thanks I will try ..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

How do you take backup? By using brtools? or 3rd parties

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik