cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use prompt of Webi report to refresh data when run .swf file on Infoview

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have a Universe be used from BEx Query Designer with a customer exit variable as calendar month.

In WebIntelligence, I can refresh data with variable in BEx query as a prompt.

I use LiveOffice to get data from Web Intelligence to Xcelsius spreadsheet.

When I refresh data in Xcelsius, a prompt occurs to I choose calendar month and the data refresh fine.

But after export dashboard to swf file, I run flash file, I can't update data because I have not prompt to choose new calendar month.

I want to ask, how do use prompt in Web Intelligence in swf file exported from Xcelsius.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

Thanks for your support.

Thread is closed with status answered

Former Member
0 Kudos

I provide more information.

In prompt values of LiveOffice properties, I choose Excel data range and assign data to a cell (e.g A10).

In spreadsheet, I have a list calendar month, A combo box component assigned to this month list and destination of combo box is cell A10.

In Excel, when I change data in cell A10, (Ex: change from 09.2011 - 10.2011) the table data in base on Web Intelligence refreshed. But when preview dashboard and choose another month in combo box, the data don't refresh.

Have not any errors occur. I only want a way to user choose other month when they are viewing dashboard.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

I test with another prompt which is created in Web Intelligence, With new prompt, dashboard refresh fine.

Why can't refresh data with prompt from variable of BEx query but can do with prompt created from Web Intelligence?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

I try doing with many ways but I can't.

I have a Universe be used from BEx query Designer with a customer exit variable as calendar month.

In WebIntelligence, I can refresh data with variable in BEx query as a prompt.

I use LiveOffice to get data from Web Intelligence to Xcelsius spreadsheet.

When I refresh data in Xcelsius, a prompt occurs to I choose calendar month and the data refresh fine.

But after export dashboard to swf file, I run flash file, I canu2019t update data because I have not prompt to choose new calendar month.

I want to ask, how do use prompt in Web Intelligence in swf file exported from Xcelsius.

If anyone have experience in this problem, please help me.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

The below discussion might be very relevant to your issue.

As suggested by my colleague,

Try using Relational Universe and then create dashboards using Live Office.

All the best!

Thanks and regards,

Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

Thanks for quickly answer.

I not yet install Data Federator, and I don't want to use Relational Universe and have not experience with Data Federator.

My Universe connect to SAP BW Query directly.

Have you other solution?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Xuandao,

You would need to Use Cell Binding and Trigger concept to accomplish this.

Its simple, however, you would have to work on a trial and error basis to understand this concept as implementing the same is subject to your dashboard and WEBI Design.

Open you LiveOffice.

Insert your WEBI, Now, go to Object Properties of your WEBI, select the second tab that says Prompt, Here, it lists the prompts that you have for your WEBI. This would also enlist your BEx variables as well. Select this BEx variable and click on the button that says Prompt at the bottom of this window. Here, select choose Excel Data Range and click on the cell select button on the right (small button that lets you choose what cell you want to bind this prompt to), Now select a free cell that would not be even populated later on when you run the dashboard say A1 (remember the value that you select). Click on OK and again OK. The WEBI Refreshes and you can see all the prompt values at the cell A1. These are all the possible values stored for your BEx prompt variables (these values are fetched from BW system dynamically).

Now, save this LiveOffice, Go to you dashboard. Connect your dashboard to your Live office. Go to Data-> connections-> Now, select the WEBI and in the right hand pane go to Usage tab, here, Click on Trigger cell button on the right hand side and select A1 in you LiveOffice.

It should work fine.

Let me know.

Rgds,

Sreekul Nair

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sreekul Nair,

Thanks for your support.

Above your step I have done, but I can't update data after export .swf because I have not prompt to choose new calendar month. Have not any error, but I want when I run .swf file, a prompt appear to choose new calendar month.

Who can help me?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check the Cell that you have binded your WEBI with. In my Example, that cell would be A1. Check if there is a dropdown appearing in this cell. If yes, change the dropdown value and check if the data is being refreshed or not.

Let us know.

Rgds,

Sree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

In the Cell (as your example - A1) that I have binded, I received a dropdown. When I change value in dropdown list, the data refreshed successful.

But when I run Preview or export to .swf file, I didn't see a prompt appear to choose new calendar month.

I try using a Combo box component in Canvas to display dropdown list calendar month from liveoffice document, but this component read only the first value in dropdown list, so end-user can't choose calendar month from combo box.

How to do this?

Thanks

Edited by: xuandao_sap on Nov 7, 2011 2:36 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The source of the Combo box shouldn't be the Cell A1.

In your XLF file, Go to Data-> connections-> Choose Add connections -> LiveOffice Connections.

As soon as you select the LiveOffice Connections, Select the WEBI, and then go to Usage Tab, in the area which says Trigger cell, click on the square button with the red arrow, Now select the cell A1.

Please ensure that your Combo Box should have source that was kept earlier. Keep the destination as your Cell A1 for you combo box.

let me know if it works out.

Rgds,

Sree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Furthermore,

Please note that you won't see a prompt when you run a SWF. The values for the prompt are to be supplied dynamically from a component. in this case its the destination of your combo box which is the same as Cell A1 which indeed in the trigger.

This is how it works.

a) User changes the selection in the combo box.

b) this value is pased in the destination cell A1.

c) Since the value of the cell A1 has changed (as Cell A1 is the trigger as well), the WEBI would refresh (just as it happened when you changed the dropdown value of A1 in your liveoffice) bringing in your refreshed data.

Here, your prompt value is filled by the userinput i.e. change in your Combo Box value.

Rgds,

Sree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

I knew this your step, but I could not refresh data when change value in combo box component.

I work as following:

a) I have drop down list for calendar month in live office documents (assigned in cell A1). For example, my drop down list as 01.2011, 02.2011, 03.2011, 04.2011. When I change value in drop down list, the data in spreadsheet refreshed.

b) I create a query and return list of month like as above drop down list . (Assigned in cell B1:B4)

c) I input list of month as label of combo box component (label: B1:B4) and return destination is A1.

d) When I run Preview, I change value in combo box, the data was not refreshed.

In Data Range in Live Office Object Properties, I try uncheck Append parameter list to the dropdown of the binding cell, but nothing change, data wasn't refreshed.

Please explain for me what step I missed.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

I just check for detail.

With variables created in Web Intelligence (e,g: Profit center), drop down list generated in spreadsheet only display key. And I can refresh data when change value in combo box.

But with variables created from Query Designer (Customer Exit), drop down list denerated have structure, for example, with prompts Calendar month, drop down list have structure as below: 10.2011 [0CALMONTH].[201110]. And when I create list of month with the same structure in drop down list to make label for combo box, I can't refresh data when combo box change value.

What is the difference between prompt in Web Intelligence and variable in Query Designer when used in Live Office?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

The above problem is solved, although variable calendar month returned in drop down list have structure, but when I input a month as 11.2011, the data refreshed. Thanks a lot for your help.

But, I have another problem now, I created a query in Web intelligence to return list of month exist in database. When I refresh this query in Xcelsius by Live Office, I could see data like list below:

But, when I use combo box component to display cal month list, In combo box don't understand format mm.yyyy. The last "0" after symbol "." has been deleted automatically. In combo box, I only see:

How to do format cell in preadsheet to combo box can understand

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Xuandao,

Nice to hear that many of your problems pertaining to this post have been resolved.

for the last problem mentioned, all you have to do is change the format of the Excel cells.

I would suggest you to export the LiveOffice from the XCelsius. Open it in Excel. Then change the formating of the cells B1:B4 (that forms the labels of your ComboBox).

If its 01.2010, you can make these cells a TEXT in format.

This would ensure that these cells are always displayed in the same manner as they are in the Excel.

This should solve your problem.

Rgds,

Sree

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

Your support is very useful with me. Thank you very much.

I can't format calendar month in excel, but I have another solution for this problem. I change my query, in Webi, I display calendar year and calendar month. After that, I concatenate 2 cells month and year, I have string for calendar year/month. The issue was solved.

Thanks a lot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Xuandao,

You are right.

You can always change the WEBI doc. However, changing the WEBI doc after your XCelsius XLF is complete can be a bit costly at times. Especially if its a complex dashboard. XCelsius is a tachy thing. Thats why I suggested you to change the formatting of your Excel. It should have worked fine though. This is because the source of the labels for ComboBox would always display values in the excel without any change in the format (the way excel shows up these cells).

Anyways. Good that your issue has been resolved.

Please do close the thread with a Solved problem tag.

Rgds,

Sreekul Nair