cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports for VS 2010 Keeps asking to convert how to stop it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have converted a Web Application from VS2008 to VS2010. I downloaded and installed the VS2010 Visual Studio version and the conversion seems to have gone alright and after the conversion a dialog box came up to ask if I wanted to convert Crystal reports from a previous version to 2010. I said yes and everything seems to work including the reports in the converted site.

However, now every time I open the solution in VS2010 the same dialog box pops up asking me if I want to convert the Crystal Reports to version 2010. I saw an other similar question by a user but the answers he got were not applicable to my sutuation.

The environment we have is TFS 2010 based and I created a new branch of the solution in quetsion and did the conversion using VS2010 as described above.

It may be that I have to make some manula changes to some files to set a flag that the reports are already converted? I may have to do this manually?

So the question is how do I get rid of / disable the dialog box asking me to convert each time.

P.S. I saw references to a beta version on Crystal Reports for VS2010 I have never had this on my computer. However, I do have both VS2008 and Crystral Reports 2008 and VS2010 and Crystal Reports 2010 loaded on my computer and I will need both installed for the time being until conversion to VS2010 is complete.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I believe this may be the issue:

" However, I do have both VS2008..."

V2008 comes with CR 10.5 and this version does not play nice in a side by side configuration with CRVS2010.

Uninstall CR 10.5 (not CR 2008 (v. 12.x)) and see if that helps.

Ludek

Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/SAPCRNetSup

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the [SAP Idea Place|https://ideas.sap.com/community/products_and_solutions/crystalreports]

Former Member
0 Kudos

I cannot see why uninstalling VS2008 (which is not an option) would stop the Crystal Reports Conversion dialog from appearing each time I open the VS2010 solution. What is it exactly that the code that opens this dialog looks at?

It says 'We have detected that your solution was created using an older or unknown version of Crystal Reports. You can convert it to Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010.... etc.

Then when I click OK it does not complain and it appears to work OK when the solution is compiled; however, the next time I open the solution I get greeted by the same dialogbox again.

If I can just find out why it thinks the reports have not yet been converted I could fix this problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I uninstalled all CR version 10.5 stuff (CR for VS2008) including the run time but the problem persists as I expected. All I need to know is what it is that the CR for 2010 software looks at to determine that an upgrade is required. Then I have a chance to find the bug that is causing this and to find a work around.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

All I need to know is what it is that the CR for 2010 software looks at to determine that an upgrade is required.

- Not as simple as that. There are all kinds of variables that may cause the issue; from runtime, to references to web.config to VS2010 and so on...

1) make sure the config file has only assemblies of version 13.x referenced.

2) download the [Modules|https://smpdl.sap-ag.de/~sapidp/012002523100006252802008E/modules.zip] utility and see if your project is loading any older versions of CR runtime

3) uninstall CRVS2010, do a repair on VS2010, reinstall CRVS2010

- Ludek

Edited by: Ludek Uher on Oct 26, 2011 10:48 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just installed the vs2010 CR Runtimes and uninstalled the CR2010 for VS2010 and continued to use the standalone CR2008 version and everything appears to work. Since I don't need the VS2010 plugin I won't bother with it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ludek,

We are also experiencing issues with the conversion dialog box. It keeps on popping up regardless of conversion.

We have been through the process of removing Visual Studio 2008 and associated versions of Crystal reports 10x from our development machines yet we are still plagued with this problem.

It happens on a few different projects that have been converted.

Do you know what it actually does when you open the solution to make it decide to show that dialog?

Dan

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Make sure there is no CR 10.2 or 10.5 runtime on this computer. Other than that, continue here:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3357639

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ludek,

That cured it.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure if it was realy answered but thread is closed since I do not need further follow up at this time.