cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dashboards with BICS connectivity and Infoview (BO4.0 Information Platform)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I have worked on Xcelsius 2008 with BICS connectivity to consume BEX Queries,

and I'm aware that its not possible to export BICS based dashboards to BOE.

But with the latest BO 4.0 release,

I understand that BICS connectivity is inbuilt in BOE and we can consume BEX queries directly to create WEBI Reports.

so my question is :

in the latest version of Xcelsius ( Dashboards ),

is it possible to Export Dashboards based on BICS to BO Information platform (4.0)???

or is it still published in BW server only like the earlier (2008) version??

To be able to create BEX based dashboards published on Info platform ,

is QAAWS/Liveoffice still the only available possibility???

Appreciate the help ,

as we need to propose high level architecture to a customer who want to use Information platform as report

delivery tool, and use BW as backend.

Thanks and regards,

Vinay

Thanks and regards,

Vinay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tracyn
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

BICS-based dashboards currently cannot be published to BI 4.0; they still must be hosted in NW. There are plans to have the functionality available in the near future. In the meantime, check out this wiki for a workaround: [http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/IntegrationofanXcelsiusdashboardinBOEInfoview|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/IntegrationofanXcelsiusdashboardinBOEInfoview]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Tracy,

Thanks a ton for the response.

But in our case the customer does not plan to have Enterprise portal integration.

So to be able to Deploy dashboards directly to Infoview from BEx query,will the below architecture work?

1.Creating WEBI (4.0) document from BEX Directly ( new functionality with 4.0)

2.Create BI web service or Live office document

3.Consume the same from Xcelsius and deploy into BOE.

This will internally use BICS as it is internally used to create WEBI docu in 4.0.

Let us know if there are any limitations with this architecture.

Thanks and regards,

Vinay

tracyn
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

I know that there is a limitation with BICS-based LO reports where the prompts do not show up in LO refresh or in the dashboard. If this is the proposed architecture you will have to keep in mind that you cannot have prompts/variables from the BICS connector.

If you want to truly leverage the prompts, you will have to use a relational connection to BW (which flattens your hierarchies) and then build your reports and LO objects off of that to populate your dashboard.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tracy,

When you say relational connection to BW,

do you mean creating a universe on top of BEX query and then create WEBI documents using the universe.

Rgds,

Vinay

tracyn
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Yes, in IDT you have two options to create a connection: relational or OLAP. OLAP creates a BICS connector w/ no universe; relational creates a connection to BW (flattened hierarchies) and you can create a universe with it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Tracy,

From what i understand, the product roadmap for BO4.0 clearly does not recommend usage of Universes for creating documents when used in conjunction with SAP BW.

So, is this a special case( variables & Prompts in BEX to be used in dashboards) where we use Universes as a workaround??

Pls share If you have any documentation regarding ths limitation,it will be great help in communicating to busines users.

Cos when creating WEBI document with BICS , the promts from BEX Query are transferred to BO.

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Thanks and regards,

Vinay

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Any pointers to the above query???

Rgds,

Vinay