cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade of Crystal Reports from version 7 to 2011.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a LIMS system that uses Crystal 7 to generate Certificates of Analysis (COAs) for products that my company produces. The LIMS app resides on a terminal server and user connect to the terminal server via citrix. The app has been around since 2000 and is running on Windows Server 2000. The crystal 7 is apparently a runtime version.

I have been tasks with upgrading the terminal server to Windows 2008 64 bit server. I have installed the app on the server and the app performs as it should except for printing the COAs. I downloaded a trial version of Crystal Reports 2011. I can open and print COAs from with the Crystal 2011 application.

The App Devloper states that the existing system uses a call to crpe32.dll to print the reports. When I try generate a COA I get the following errors.

Crystal Reports error:525

Function: PEOpenPrintJob has reported an error.

There is something wrong with the report you are trying to open.

Crystal Reports error:512

Function: GeneralPrint has reported an error.

The print engine must be open for the call to be sucessful. Your code is lacking a PEOpenEngine call.

The crpe32.dll file is in the application root directory, in the c:windows\system32 directory, and the c:\prgram files(x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0/win32_x86 directory.

This may be more information that needed. Anyway, any Idea how to get my app to print from Crystal Reports 2011.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

saurabh_pathak
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Deano,

Using Crystal 7 runtimes on Windows Server 2008 is really not a good idea.

Please take a look at

Blog by Ludek on CR2011 can be useful here.

Do look at it.

Thanks,

Saurabh

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The print engine APIs were retired in version 9 of Crystal Reports (shipped in 2002, support terminated in 2006 +\-).

The upshot of this is that you will not be able to update anything on this app. You will have to go to the creators of the app and ask them if they have done the conversion so that the app will be able to work in your intended environment. E.g.; the author of the app has to help you out. Not much we could do here - even if print engine APIs were still supported. (the app would need to be recompiled, so you need the source code, etc., etc.)

- Ludek

Answers (0)