Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about POWL in Travel Management

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Greetings!

currently, we are in the process of implementing SAP Travel Management on our DEV System (Request and Expenses) and therefore of designing business processes. One major crucial point is the process of Approving the Travel Request.

We are on ECC 6.0 EHP 4 and therefore use the WD4A Travel Scenarios. We use a portal ess/mss with respective Stacks/SPs and BPs.

Business Process Draft A:

The Traveler is filling out his Travel Request (FITE_REQUEST) and is assigning the relevant cost centers himself (they are initially defaulted to IT0001, but IT0001, as per our definition, isn't nessecarily correct always; thus, manually cost center assignment possible).

When the Travel request is sent for approval, the Manager who is responsible for the cost center chosen in the request has to be chosen as the approver. If there is more than one cost center, there will still be only one approver. There hasn't be decided yet, who, in that case will be it, but this is of none concern for my particular question at the moment.

For the first step to do I would naively say "I make a POWL query with an own POWL feeder class saying 'Assign all Users to me, which travel for a certain cost center' ". Would this be possible?

Now, let me explain what I am unsure about, concerning the following use-case:

1. Traveler creates a request on 28th of February 2012 for the Date range of 1st of March 2011 till 3rd of March, choosing Cost Center A so the Request should be visible to Manager A for Cost Center A. Traveler is assigned to Manager A's POWL. Manager A can see the traveler from 28th of February onwards.

2. Traveler creates yet another request on the 28th of February 2012 for the Date range of 7th of March till 10th of March,

choosing Cost Center B so the Request should be visible to Manager B for Cost Center B. Traveler is supposedly assigned to Manager B's POWL. Manager B can see the traveler from 28th of February onwards.

Question: What happens to the POWL? Who can see what

Manager A must only see travel request from cost center A.

Manager B must only see travel request from cost center B.

What I assume will happen is:

- Both Managers can see both travel requests because both managers have User Traveler assigned, which is forbidden due to business restrictions...

Any Ideas, solutions, discussions are welcomed.

Best regards,

Lukas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you like to have complex workflows, Approval POWL would not work for this. You should use real workflow solution with UWL.

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your opinion Siegfried,

However, in case of using Workflow instead of POWL for approval; would the service FITV_POWL_TRIPS (all my trips) still be usable? Or would this be incompatible?

Cheers, Lukas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

maybe you could use user/role profile assigned to each user.

while you assigned for one person only can read one cost center, I think it could help.

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

nzworld, thanks for your idea. However this is not possible because the relation of user to cost centers to approvers can be

1 - n - n.

After the feedback here, talking back to my colleagues and debating this with our consultants, we will not be using POWL for our approval process, because it's simply not flexible enough for our cause. Closing thread.

Answers (0)