cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA Upgrade from SPS02 Rev.17 to SPS03 - Which Method?

former_member203134
Participant
0 Kudos

Those who arrived...

Which is recommended, Manual Update of HANA Upgrade from SPS02 Rev.17 to SPS03 ; or the Automated one with SUM?

Under the update guides section find these two, and not sure which way to take.

Thanks,

Manish Madhav

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Manish,

I am going to address upgrade this weekend so after that I can share the experience...

Tomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

HANA 1.0 SPS2 Revision 21 , is it different from HANA 1.0 SPS3 ?

thanks

Rao

former_member203134
Participant
0 Kudos

Please do so Tomas!

Another query on this... reading "SAP HANA Automated Update Guide ■ SAP HANA Appliance Software SPS 03", it mentions:

*Updating the Software Update Manager for SAP HANA*
*When you start the Lifecycle Management perspective in the SAP HANA studio, the Software Update*
*Manager for SAP HANA performs a self-update.*
*The Software Update Manager for SAP HANA SPS 03 executes automatic update of Lifecycle*
*Management perspective as part of self-update, only if SAP HANA Studio is SPS 03. You can update*
*your SAP HANA Studio manually from SAP Service Marketplace.*
*Updating the SAP HANA Studio*
*The Lifecycle Management perspective of the SAP HANA studio is updated when you update the SAP*
*HANA studio. To update the SAP HANA studio, choose Help > Check for Updates .*
*You can enter the settings for the automated update of the SAP HANA studio under Window >*
*Preferences > Install/Update .*

This means the Studio need be updated at the Linux end of the server appliance? How do we run the Studio in Linux? Not sure if we could setup the X server yet... does it need X11?

Also, when I try to update Studio on my laptop, it essentially does not detect anything!! service.sap/com/swdc credentials are not accepted, and download.eclipse.org does not return anything. Is it a joke?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish

The Studio Installation Guide (https://websmp107.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000604592011) should answer your question - the new installer puts an Eclipse update repository on the server and you can point your studio (Linux or Windows) to that update repository on https://<host>:<port>/studio_repository/ to update the studio after updating the server (make sure you follow the instructions to install the certificate...)

--Juergen

former_member203134
Participant
0 Kudos

How was the ugrade experience? Some basic understanding still need to be clear.

We've one existing BW 7.3 SP03 running Oracle, and we have one HANA 1.0 SP02 rev.16.

In order to go for BW 7.3 SP05 on HANA 1.0 SPS03, does it need a new install of SAP BW 7.3 with some other database? I am not thinking of database migration in this case, but does it make a good case?

If not, I assume the installation of BW 7.3, would demand a prerequisite of an immediate upgrade of to Sp05?

former_member203134
Participant
0 Kudos

If we fit the classic chicken and egg story, what comes first on the platform, HANA with SPS03, or BW with SP05???

Former Member
0 Kudos

*SAP Note 1647785 "SAP NetWeaver 7.3 BW, powered by SAP HANA - Information"

*SAP Note 1644137 "Composite SAP Note: BW porting in SAP HANA DB, NW 7.30 SP06 and apply the corrections"

Check above notes..

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

How was the ugrade experience?

Still working on it - I like the approach with backup/restore and using installation CD to do all the hard work. So I am running some tests how to make it functional. After done I will share...

We've one existing BW 7.3 SP03 running Oracle, and we have one HANA 1.0 SP02 rev.16.

In order to go for BW 7.3 SP05 on HANA 1.0 SPS03, does it need a new install of SAP BW 7.3 with some other database? I am not thinking of database migration in this case, but does it make a good case?

If not, I assume the installation of BW 7.3, would demand a prerequisite of an immediate upgrade of to Sp05?

Not sure I understand...

You need to update BW to SP05 (still on Oracle thus no dependency to HANA) and then you need to make conversion. Conversion = DB migration - so export and import into newly installed system. You can use new HANA SP03 and very likely you can reuse existing HANA (as MCOD) if it is on release SP03.

If we fit the classic chicken and egg story, what comes first on the platform, HANA with SPS03, or BW with SP05???

Step of upgrading BW to SP05 running on Oracle is completely independent on step of upgrading HANA to SP03 - you can do them in any order or in parallel. Prerequisite for conversion (or part of conversion) is load into existing HANA database - so before the load you need to have HANA updated...

I hope I answered the question (as I am still not sure what you asked) - if not - please try to rephrase..

Tomas

former_member203134
Participant
0 Kudos
HANA 1.0 SPS2 Revision 21 , is it different from HANA 1.0 SPS3 ?
Rao

This answer still seems missing? Nowhere I read SPS02 Rev.21 means SPS03!

Someone please clarify. If it was, thanks to the detailed steps from Tomas, there would've been one database migration step too, and a BW installation/ upgrade step too.

If both missing, may I undetstand that Rev.21 is not the complete upgrade to SPS03? And the thread goes on...

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you already bought HANA appliance with HANA Rev 18 or before, Rev 21 bring all the same functionality as provided by SPS 3. There is technically no difference between SPS 3 and Rev 21.

former_member203134
Participant
0 Kudos
You need to update BW to SP05 (still on Oracle thus no dependency to HANA) and then you need to make conversion. Conversion = DB migration - so export and import into newly installed system. You can use new HANA SP03 and very likely you can reuse existing HANA (as MCOD) if it is on release SP03.

Step of upgrading BW to SP05 running on Oracle is completely independent on step of upgrading HANA to SP03 - you can do them in any order or in parallel.

Prerequisite for conversion (or part of conversion) is load into existing HANA database - so before the load you need to have HANA updated...

Few things to understand on what we are up to:

- With the upgrade, we want to achieve the end product: 'BW Powered by HANA', which is in ramp-up

We are NOT upgrading the HANA to Rev.21 or SP03, just for the sake of it, we want the BW runnning on HANA.

- As I undetstand, there are two steps in parallel:

i) Upgrade the BW 7.3 to BW 7.3 SP05

ii) Upgrade the HANA to SP03 (Not Rev.21) there is a separate material code for SP03.

- Pick the BW 7.3 SP05 running on Oracle, and start the database migration to SAP HANA DB

- Link the BW and HANA

Few queries:

- Tomas's answer for upgrade methodology is understood in above broad steps. Is it right?

- Is there a 'certified' DB migration approach available to SAP HANA DB?

- What is meant by phrase..."load into existing HANA database - so before the load..."

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Manish,

HANA 1.0 Revision 20 onward they called HANA 1.0 SPS3.

Even if you installed HANA SPS3 from BW Rampup version, it shows only HANA 1.0.20.

thanks

Rao

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

This answer still seems missing? Nowhere I read SPS02 Rev.21 means SPS03!

Revision can be seen as subversion of SP03. The relation is Release (1.00) / SP (03) / Revision (21). Everything starting from revision 20 including is considered as SP03. Reason why is because rev.20 was delivered as part of SP03 installation (and same is suggested in various SAP notes). Now you might think that starting from rev.1 again would be more logical - but that would probably confuse people that are downloading directly revisions. Table below is illustrating the relation (extracted from various SAP notes):

Release / Support Package / Revision

1.00 / -

/ rev.10

1.00 / -

/ rev.11

1.00 / SP02 / rev.12 <-- start of SP02

1.00 / SP02 / rev.13

1.00 / SP02 / rev.14

1.00 / SP02 / rev.15

1.00 / SP02 / rev.16

1.00 / SP02 / rev.17

1.00 / SP02 / rev.18

1.00 / SP03 / rev.20 <-- start of SP03

1.00 / SP03 / rev.21

Tomas

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are NOT upgrading the HANA to Rev.21 or SP03, just for the sake of it, we want the BW runnning on HANA.

I would rephrase this question: "When going to BW on HANA - is rev.20 recommended or rev.21 (both being SP03)?"

On one hand SAP probably did much more testing with BW on rev.20 but rev.21 should be correcting bugs in rev.20. I was not able to find any strict instruction to avoid using rev.21 for BW on HANA scenario. Therefore I guess it is up to you - I would probably go with latest revision.

- As I undetstand, there are two steps in parallel:

i) Upgrade the BW 7.3 to BW 7.3 SP05

ii) Upgrade the HANA to SP03 (Not Rev.21) there is a separate material code for SP03.

- Pick the BW 7.3 SP05 running on Oracle, and start the database migration to SAP HANA DB

- Link the BW and HANA

Well - I am not sure I understand last two steps - it is database migration (heterogeneous system copy). First you will do export on your BW on Oracle system. Then you will start import on target server. As part of import operation you will be installing new SAP system (with separate kernel) and you will provide connection information to HANA database. After providing all required details sapinst will start the installation of SAP and load of exported data into HANA database. From that moment ABAP part will be dependent on HANA database.

I would suggest to read system copy guide and installation guide.

Few queries:

- Tomas's answer for upgrade methodology is understood in above broad steps. Is it right?

- Is there a 'certified' DB migration approach available to SAP HANA DB?

- What is meant by phrase..."load into existing HANA database - so before the load..."

I think it was explained above. Please check the system copy guide - it is already available.

Tomas

former_member203134
Participant
0 Kudos

Superb answers Tomas and Rao! It really helped.

We are going ahead with our HANA upgrade in next couple of days! Will update the forum soon!!

Regards

Manish Madhav

former_member203134
Participant
0 Kudos

Tomas,

We've now applied the Rev.21 sucessfully.

You mentioned some note about the revision to SP relationship. Can you please share the note number. Need it just for communicating this to management that we are now on HANA 1.0 SPS03 (and not just on rev.21)!

Regards

Manish Madhav

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

it is stated around several notes:

Note 1648901 - SAP HANA appliance: Revision 20 of SAP HANA database

This is the SAP Release Note for the SAP HANA database Revision 20 for SAP HANA appliance 1.0. This is the minimum Revision for SP03, ...

Note 1653292 - SAP HANA appliance: Revision 21 of SAP HANA database

If you upgrade from HANA 1. 0 SP2 you have to update ALL other components (Studio, Modeler, DB Clients, DBSL, SLT, DS, ...) to at least the minimal version of SAP HANA SP03

Note 1654455 - Upgrade News and Tips Hana Modeler from SP3 (Revision 20) on

The original language for packages that were created before Revision 20 (SP3) will be...

Tomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tomas,

We are trying to update HANA DB from Rev.20 to Rev. 28. Could you provide step by step configuration (with commands) of HANA DB please, So that we can update the same in our server. We dont have experience in update before.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Ram

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

Just I upgraded form HANA 1.0 SPS revision 18 to Revision 21, I did blindly using ./hdbsetup and after that choose upgrade method.

• Schema's are not missed and everything working fine old models and schemes.

but better do export your existing catalogs, in case if miss it you can import back

thanks

rao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

I suppose you are referring to server upgrade. I upgraded a couple of HANA DB's from SPS2 Rev 17 to SPS3 Rev 20 lately, and I used the manual upgrade (run hdbupd) without any issues. What I was actually planning to do is

- do a manual upgrade to Rev 20

- do a complete backup of the DB

- uninstall

- reinstall from the unified installer, so I get all the new components

- restore the backup

reason for that being that I did not have the automated update configured on the SPS2 versions and I wanted a fresh start. Unfortunately, I ran into a problem with the re-installed system when I was trying to restore the backup - the restore was unable to stop the DB, so it could not be restored. Still investigating. Theoretically, this procedure sounded easier to me than manually configuring the automated backup, but I'll try that too...

--Juergen

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Juergen,

Did you make copy of following directories as indicated during backup creation?

/usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/global/hdb/custom/config
/usr/sap/<SID>/HDB00/<hostname>

And after reinstall did you restore the files back?

There is following file:

/sapmnt/data/<SID>/global/hdb/custom/config/nameserver.ini

This file is containing database id that is also stored in database. If you did not restore this file - then HANA backup is having different id then your installation and restore is nor functional.

Of course hostname, system number and SID should be same as before.

Tomas

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manish,

>

> I suppose you are referring to server upgrade. I upgraded a couple of HANA DB's from SPS2 Rev 17 to SPS3 Rev 20 lately, and I used the manual upgrade (run hdbupd) without any issues. What I was actually planning to do is

> - do a manual upgrade to Rev 20

> - do a complete backup of the DB

> - uninstall

> - reinstall from the unified installer, so I get all the new components

> - restore the backup

>

> reason for that being that I did not have the automated update configured on the SPS2 versions and I wanted a fresh start. Unfortunately, I ran into a problem with the re-installed system when I was trying to restore the backup - the restore was unable to stop the DB, so it could not be restored. Still investigating. Theoretically, this procedure sounded easier to me than manually configuring the automated backup, but I'll try that too...

>

> --Juergen

Hello,

I really likes this approach - so I tried on "test demo" HANA and it worked (now I am going to do this do our "real demo" HANA system.

Here is what I did:

Note: Be sure to read VERY carefully - missing some step (like backing up the config files, moving backup to safe location or setting same parameters as before will lead to destruction of your HANA system).

Read the whole procedure - then read it again - make sure you understand every point (if not - better ask).

If you are not sure that you are clear on what you are doing - then better update to rev.21 manually and do not try the approach.

Approach is completely supported (there is no violation of anything) but it involves complete deletion of HANA system - so you must trust your skills that you will be able to restore later.

You MUST be on rev.20 or older - if you are on rev.21 - do not try this procedure as you would be "downgrading" your HANA.

1 update your existing HANA database to rev.20 manually

- Upload file IMDB_SERVER100_20-10009569.SAR to server and unpack.

- Update by running hdbupd command.

2 update your existing HANA studio to rev.20 manually

- Update your studio by running: hdbinst -a studio

3 make backup of your database (on rev.20 level)

- Use studio to make backup.

- Backup of config directories:

/usr/sap/<sid>/SYS/global/hdb/custom/config
/usr/sap/<sid>/HDB<instance number>/<server name>

4 move your backup to safe location (otherwise it will be deleted)

5 uninstall your HANA database

- Go to following directory: /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/global/hdb/install/bin

- And uninstall the SAP HANA database: ./hdbuninst

6 configure and run the Universal Installer file

- As in guide - copy setuphana.slmodel.template and rename to setuphana.slmodel.

- Adjust the model file - you MUST use same values as old installation (same SID, system number, directories, etc.) - because we will restore the config files and there would be discrepancy between reality and config files

- Make sure that data and log directory exist, set group to sapsys and for directory /sapmnt/data/HDB/global/hdb/data

be sure to set same UID as is set for /sapmnt/log/HDB/global/hdb/log (in my case log dir was not deleted while data dir was)

- Change directory to <cd directory>/51041779/DATA_UNITS/HANA_IM_LINUX__X86_64

- Run prerequisite check: /usr/bin/python <cd directory>/51041779/DATA_UNITS/HDB_SERVER_LINUX_X86_64/server/HanaHwCheck.py

- Start installer by running: ./setup.sh <working directory> <model file>

- You will need to specify master password

7 make new backup of your database (on rev.20 level)

- If master password is different then password of user SYSTEM - then you need to adjust connection definition in studio

- Use studio to make backup.

- Backup of config directories:

/usr/sap/<sid>/SYS/global/hdb/custom/config
/usr/sap/<sid>/HDB<instance number>/<server name>

8 move your backup back to original location

9 restore backup of your database (on rev.20 level)

- Move the configuration directories away and unpack your directories (from archives done in step 3).

- Use studio to make restore

Congratulation - you have your system back - on rev. 20.

...now I am going to make this to our "demo" system - so you might want to wait for second run to have updates...

Tomas

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just out of interest - why the uninstall/re-install steps?

What's wrong with simply using hdbsetup/hdbupd ? (it worked for all of my instances.. )

regards,

Lars

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

it is coming from history - I did same as Juergen - I directly installed rev. 13 database, client and nothing else..

reason for that being that I did not have the automated update configured on the SPS2 versions and I wanted a fresh start.

This installation will automatically perform some addition steps (like pre-configuring SUM, etc.)

But to be honest - I simply wanted to try this approach to see if it can be done Now I am going to do this to our "real demo" system - to have it nice and tidy (fresh from the SAP kitchen) and then I will destroy "test demo" system where I developed this procedure and will try to do the same manually to fully understand what exactly installer did. (and I will use "real demo" system as reference system)

If you think that I am fanatic - then... I guess you are correct.

Tomas

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

...and uninstallation is required because otherwise the SAP installation CD would raise error.

Of course - alternative is to manually update everything - database, client, install/update repository, install update LM Structure, configure SUM, etc...

Tomas

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

>

> ...and uninstallation is required because otherwise the SAP installation CD would raise error.

>

> Of course - alternative is to manually update everything - database, client, install/update repository, install update LM Structure, configure SUM, etc...

>

> Tomas

...and I would recommend this approach to everyone who is not comfortable with deleting his HANA system.

Tomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Tomas,

I am confuse, sorry my question not make sense.

why that much difficult procedure to upgrade from R17 to R20? ( Uninstall, install... )

i did manual update from R18 to R21, just using ./hdbsetup and upgrade instance. even I don't loss any data, catalogs, models.

Guide me did i anything wrong approach?

thanks,

Rao

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

it seems that I am making more confusion then helping...

Rao, your approach is perfectly correct... and for productive HANA databases I would do the same - especially for big data volumes...

I used the procedure because I wanted to benefit from automatic configuration when you use the SAP Unified Installer... Unified installer will install and preconfigure all components that belong to HANA system:

- it will check or create user sapadm

- it will install host controller on appropriate release

- it will install HDB studio repository (to allow HANA studio installation to automatically download updates from server)

- it will install HANA database rev.20

- it will install HANA client

- it will install and configure SUM for HANA

and maybe few more things...

I wanted to have this automatic setup on my server so that:

- I know I am not missing anything (because SAP designed how this fits together)

- some parts are preconfigured - like SUM certificates, etc.

- I wanted to analyze how SAP decided to assemble the components together to get better insight

There is nothing wrong in doing everything manually (or even not having all components installed).

If you would have just HANA database - you will not be able to benefit from all the features - but it is fully functional.

I hope it is more clear now...

Tomas

Edited by: Tomas Krojzl on Nov 21, 2011 7:05 PM

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

as I said above I have plan to "destroy" HANA on "test demo" server and to try to do everything manually... I can share what I did so that you have also explained manual alternative...

But be prepared that it will much more complex because everything will be done manually...

Both approaches are leading to the same result - so not need to worry you did something wrong...

Tomas

gokul_radhakrishnan3
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I followed the manual method which Juergen explained in his post. Had one minor issue & it looks ok now.

Regards,

Gokul