cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did I violate the rules of engagement.

PhaniKalvagunta
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Moderator,

Please find the below thread in which my reply was rejected.

[Thread|http://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2083933&tstart=25]

Please find my solution for this issue below:

In VTAF header data assign routine 053 against data transfer routine.Check and update the forum

Kindly let me know where I had violated the rules of engagement.

Regards,

Phani Prasad.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

PhaniKalvagunta
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Moderator,

Thanks for your reply.If I could interpret your reply correctly,you are saying that the OP didnot search the forum properly as the

same question was answered many times.And as I answered that,I had violated the rules of engagement and

hence my post was rejected.

Usually I advice the OP,if the question appears basic, to search the forum before posting and to show that the question was discussed earlier,I frame a link and post my reply.But sometimes I post my replies without searching the forum ,to check whether the question is answered earlier,if the question appears some what complex.

Please check the below thread.A simple search with the same heading Forward and Backward Scheduling will yield a lot of information.But you can see a number of active contributors replied and no one felt that it is a basic question.

[Forward and Backward Scheduling |http://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2077144&tstart=50]

This is the problem.I find even top contributors answer to questions which appears very basic to me.And my replies also can be termed as basic by others.As we donot have a definition for Basic Question,this issue creeps up time and again.

I suggest you to come with another forum for beginers and move all the basic questions to that forum so that the main forum's quality remains intact.I also foresee that many contributors will stop replying to those basic questions ,once these questions are moved to the new forum.This will force OPs to search the forum more actively before posting their issues.Let the moderator has the final say in differentiating a basic question from others.

Also I request the moderators to restrain from answering the basic questions as this will lead to confusion while replying.

Please find this thread where the moderator has replied.

[http://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2080927]

I find the reply is very similar to what the reply that I have given and I Ithink that the question is not a basic one as the moderator himself has answered it.This inconsistent moderation discourages me in actively participating.

My endeavour in posting this is to make the forum a better place.I gained a lot of knowledge from this forum and I feel it is my duty to contribute towards the improvement of the standard of the same.I have a lot of respect for moderators for their knowledge and their selfless contribution towards the community.Hope my post will be taken in the right perspective.

Suggestions are always welcome.

Regards,

Phani Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have to agree with what Phani has mentioned here. The beginners too can really ask some interesting questions and most of the time we get these type of interesting questions amongst the 'trivial' questions. I am sure that this really cannot be avoided and then that would defeat the purpose of an open Forum itself.

For example this thread: http://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10864699#10864699. I understand, the concept is a simple one - whether or not to implement an offline backup. But the discussion can be a much bigger one and fruitful as well. Backup strategy is and will remain a concern for any company implementing SAP. Ofcourse if the Post is like 'What is R/3', then I would send a LMGTFY link inferring that the question is too basic. And I have done that for some posts too. However, we reply to explain a basic concept which ofcourse is not a 'What is..' question.

And, I would not really care if I would get points awarded for answering that question. Many times I have answered to complex questions and they were marked answered without awarding points. So that implies we are not really here for the 'points'. It is only that the thread could turn into a good discussion which helps us by better explaining a concept and for the questioner as well. It is a sense of fulfillment that someone benefitted from my thoughts.

Ofcourse I have learnt heaps from this forum and would visit the forum for learning even if the complete points system itself is removed. Having said that hopefully the forum remains a place for learning, rather than a place for earning points and points policing.

Regards,

Srikishan

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Also I request the moderators to restrain from answering the basic questions

First of all, please try to understand the difference between a basic question and repeated question. In the link you provided, it is not a basic question but may be a repetitive and you should appreciate that Moderators are also a human being and we cannot remember each and every post as to whether they belongs to a repeated one. Of course, I refrain giving suggestions to basic question.

Coming to your concern on removing your suggestion, to be honest, I have not done that and may be the suitable Moderator can post his opinion here.

G. Lakshmipathi

PhaniKalvagunta
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Moderator,

I do respect the service that Moderators are extending to this community. I am not finding any fault with your reply in the referred thread and I have great regards for your knowledge in SAP and service to the community.

I raised a question regarding the removal of my thread very politely and received a not so polite reply.

Had I noticed that thread, I would have locked after asking the OP to search before posting.

I am taken aback when I found your reply and only to defend my case, I mentioned that thread. Also I think that if a question is answered many times,even if it is complex, as per the rules of engagement we are not supposed to answer. But this rule is violated very often. That is the reason I suggested for a beginner's forum.

Hope this clarifies.

Can I request you to kindly ask the moderator concerned to post his opinion on the removal of my thread.

Regards,

Phani Prasad

PhaniKalvagunta
Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, If I can summarise this........

- I requested the moderators to know why my answer,which I assume a complex one,( you don't find many threads on the same topic)was deleted.

- I recieved a decent as well as a sarcastic reply.

- I argued my case

- The moderator replies that he didn't remove my posts and also suggests that basic and repetitive issues are different.I can't buy this suggestion because according to Rules of Engagement , posting and answering repetitive questions is a violation.

- I requested the moderator to post his opinion on this issue.

- So far I received no reply.

I think that I deserve to know about why my answer was deleted.I realised that my exercise is futile.

I can conclude that moderators can remove the threads at their will and they are not required to explain their actions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One month later you are still concerned with that ? You should get back to real life : This is just about a thread on an internet forum. There is no loss of life involved.

I can conclude that moderators can remove the threads at their will and they are not required to explain their actions.

This is actually the case on most internet forums. Moderators may explain their actions but they don't have to.

Remember that they don't get paid for their voluntary job and that they are a LOT of inappropriate threads to deal with.

Remember also that this is a world wide forum and that politeness and fairness are very relative topics and very different in each country depending from the local culture . So don't get upset and enjoy other threads.

Cheers,

Olivier

PhaniKalvagunta
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am neither upset nor concerned .It is my sincere attempt to make this forum even better.

Regards,

Phani Prasad

Edited by: phani.prasad on Dec 27, 2011 2:50 PM

Edited by: phani.prasad on Dec 27, 2011 2:56 PM

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Had I noticed that thread, I would have locked after asking the OP to search before posting.

G. Lakshmipathi

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I can think of two reasons:

- an accident

- your reply came after OP had already posted his solution, so your message was seen as a redundant "me too" post

Let's see if the responsible moderator finds this and leaves a comment.

Thomas

PhaniKalvagunta
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Any suggestions.

Thanks for your reply Mr.Thomas.

> - an accident

Could be

> - your reply came after OP had already posted his solution, so your message was seen as a redundant "me too" post

OP was referring to my post only and it solved his problem.

Regards,

Phani Prasad

Edited by: phani.prasad on Nov 29, 2011 9:26 AM

Edited by: phani.prasad on Nov 29, 2011 9:28 AM