cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back up and Recovery DB2 database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I'm new on this. Could you please explain how we can back up recover DB2 database on SAP? Can we use SAP BR tools?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it for 'DB2 for z/OS' ?

In any case, the Best way is to 'search' for the 'guides'. To explain the basic and detailed concept is not possible sometimes within the thread.

BTW, BRTools is just for 'SAP on Oracle', not for 'SAP on DB2/DB4/DB6'. So you can't use BRTools here.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot. Could please briefly explain how we can do back up and recovery processes if we are using DB2. Is there any SAP product or do we have to use IBM Tivoli?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, I couldn't mention we are going to use Suse O/S , a Linux distribution.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot. Could please briefly explain how we can do back up and recovery processes if we are using DB2. Is there any SAP product or do we have to use IBM Tivoli?

IBM Tivoli is a tool used for backup and storage, and restore of files as well I think. But it is 'you' or the customer who has to define and plan the backup and recovery strategy. For e.g. backup of SAP/database can go to local server file system as well, instead of necessarily planning it to go to Tivoli. But for actual database 'backup' or 'restore' process, you need to use 'SAP/DB' commands first, no matter where the backup resides.

There are many other things, but can't be explained just here in discussion thread. First you understand what version/type of DB2 you have - DB2/DB4/DB6 - which one ? Then, read and go through the guides.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry, I couldn't mention we are going to use Suse O/S , a Linux distribution.

That's okay. So you have 'DB6' (DB2 for Linux, Unix and Windows).

Read the guides for this, one of them is already suggested by Vincet.

Thanks

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeewana, Srinivas,

See these guides:

Casebook: DB2 backup, recovery and cloning for SAP environments - Update

As a strategic solution, DB2 for z/OS provides the integrated BACKUP SYSTEM and RESTORE SYSTEM utilities, which internally rely on DS8000 FlashCopy and z/OS DFSMShsm technology. The DB2 Cloning Tool and the DB2 Recovery Expert for z/OS can be optionally used to further facilitate, automate and accelerate many of the tasks. The 2014 edition provides hands-on tips and tricks based on DB2 11 and z/OS 2.1 for using the above mentioned DB2 utilities and tools in SAP environments in the most beneficial way.

For DB2 10 and z/OS 1.13 the 2012 edition is still valid. 2 May 2014

This provides complete back up and recovery steps for SAP on z DB2 databases

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Exports,

How to take the backup sap DB2 on windows..

Thanks

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

See below:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/80e61

772-e471-2c10-60b1-9529b69b50c5

Regards,

Vincent