cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No "OR " Function for WEBI using BEX (BO 4.0 )

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am using Business Objects 4.0 SP2 with SAP BEX.

I am using WebI and from WebI I direcltly connect to BEX connection and pull the report.

In the query pannel when i use the filter with AND operator it works fine but if I need to give an OR condition then

I am not able to as it seems that BEX do not have OR condition.

Then I tried to use report filter with AND/OR operator inside the report then for all the measures are giving me an error

1. Unavilable.

Now then I thought to use UNION and this is disbaled for me.Please let me know how can i achive this

A OR B using AND is this possible?

Regards

Lekshmy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi everyone !

I'm using BI 4.0 SP02 Patch 9 and the problem with "OR" Operator is still there when you use a query BEX.

Can somebody tell me if this point will be fixed by SAP with the next patch (10, 11, 12) ?

Thank you for your help. I really need this operator for my reports.

Regards,

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

This seems to be an internal technical limitation of the current implementation .

This has been escalated to our development group in the past, via ADAPT01580759, as documented by note 1635276 - Unable to use OR operator in a WebIntelligence report

However, the suggested workaround approach :

<< .. build a universe against the same BEX query that the BICS connection is based on. The AND/OR operators will work when building WebIntelligence reports against the universe >>

.. wonu2019t be possible in IDT .UNX (canu2019t generate business layer on BICS/BEx connection), unless using the DF MSU BW SQL Universe to an infoprovider (i.e. not via BEx query)

I'm going to create an Ideas Place Enhancement Request for this (link to follow) to which we can all add our votes in the hope of attention from Product management .

Regards,

H

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

hi

i published note 1687933 BI 4.0 - Web Intelligence Query Panel - not possible to use "OR" operator when creating Query Filters on BICS BEX source

based on feedback from development.

Regards,

H

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your quick answer. It's not good news but now we're fixed

Regards,

Nawale

Former Member
0 Kudos

This issue is still present on SP5 Patch 6. It places a significant limitation on how you can design linked reports because if you have a record in the source report, which has several columns that link to the same target report, then you have no way of making the target report display data that fits one parameter OR the other. This forces you to create two (or more; as many as you have links in the source report) otherwise identical reports, with the only difference being which field is used as a prompt, to simulate the OR functionality.

Also, I'm not sure how to implement the workaround with the universe. I was unable to create a universe connecting to a Bex query and apparently this is also by design: see note 1587810. Could someone please clarify this for me?

Was the Idea Place enhancement request created? I just searched and couldn't find anything that looks like this issue. If not, I'll create it.

I don't think any company would consider implementing a database that does not support OR in SQL queries. That this is considered "by design" in a reporting solution is eye-opening to say the least.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Someone else had already created an Idea Place request for this feature, here.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member221140
Participant
0 Kudos

looks like this same issue persists for 4.1 Sp5. pretty annoying that you can't do an OR operation.

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi

UNIONS are definitely out for OLAP queries.

With regards to the WebI query filters - I have never tried an "OR" operator on a BICS/ BEx query.

However, webi prompts using Boolean OR operator were definitely possible in XI3.1 with SAP integration Kit, via the MDX BAPI.

If i were you I would contact Support to get an official answer.

Regards,

H

p.s. I found that you cannot filter on a measure via BICS, and also bex conditions aren't supported either - so there's no way of doing a dynamic "greater than xx" on a key figure at runtime..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts ,

Request your help as this is urgent .

A =("YY","XX") OR ( (B="LL","KK") AND (C="KK","MM") )

This is what I need to achive ...Please help me as using BEX I am not able to achive OR in BO or BEX.

Regards

Lekshmy

ravi_rawat
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

You can create a variable and use inlist in filters.

For example: if you want filter on A or B.

create variable v_ab= if(dim1=A;1;if(dim2=B;2;3))

Drag in report filter and in inlist select 1,2. In this way u can use OR if it is not working.

Hope this is your requirement.

regards,

Ravi