cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Content Updates - Syntax errors

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Today EWA reports failed to generate. There was a syntax error in report /1AGS/AEW_DBUDB____________060

The following syntax error occurred in program "/1AGS/AEW_DBUDB____________060

" in include "/1AGS/AEW_DBUDB____________060 " in

line 1043:

"The field "DBSNAP001118" is unknown, but there are the following field"

"s with similar names: "TBSNAME001181" and "TBSNAME001180"."

Actually, I checked the syntax using se38 and the problem did exist.

I went through this note: SAP Note 1143775 - SAP Service Content Update

And I performed the "(In)activate Updates".

After that, the report SM:EXEC SERVICES ran succesfuly and EWAs were generated. Of course the syntax error had dissapeared (checked again using SE38).

Then, my questions are:

1) is SAP delivering me a program with syntax errors or do I have another problem in my system ?

2) What do you think is the best practice to deal with service content updates and avoid this kind of problems?

Cheers,

Diego.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

The syntax error relates to SDCCN service defintions.

The dump could have also been resolved by replacing the SDCCN service defintions.

I think it may be more likely that you had inconsistencies in your Service Defintions that was now apparent with the updates, and not that the updates caused the dump.

You can confirm this by activating the SCU updates again and replacing the service defintions.

Then I think you will find that the updates are fine, and the dump is addressed.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Paul !

I've applied the newest SCU again. Then, I've deleted and replaced the service definitions in solman. After that the syntax error is gone.

My final question is: I've scheduled the "Maintenance Package" in SDCCN and this task is suposed to refresh the service definitions automatically, right?... I want to avoid this error in future, what should I do or check or take into account?

Cheers,

Diego.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

Refresh Service definition is another separate task in SDCCN. Schedule that one as well.

For Satellite system, the destination RFC for this task should be the solution manager.

For Solution manager, the destination RFC for this task should be SAPOSS

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Database!

As per my understandig of the documentation:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_smehp1/helpdata/en/1f/fc2d4142badb2be10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Note 763561 - Service Data Control Center (SDCCN) - FAQ

The Refresh Service Definitions is included in "Maintenance Package".

Cheers,

Diego

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

You are both correct.

The Maintenance Package will run the Refresh Service Defintions task. It also runs the Refresh Session task, which will generate EarlyWatch Alert fr solution Manager tasks.

Typcially for EWA you only have two SDCCN tasks scheduled in the todo tab as periodic tasks.

1) Service Prepareation ( run 1 time monthly)

2) Maintenance Package Task

However there is also a Refresh Services Task that can be scheduled in SDCCN separately, but this is really for the Service Engineer.

I see this task scheduled in many customer systems and they process it twice because of it. Often it is because one task in the Maintenance PAckage task fails so the refresh session task doesn't run. So rather than resolve that, they schedule a refresh session tasks as a work around. But the correct way, the best practice is to schedule the maintenance package task.

The best pactice setup document for 7.0 is at http://service.sap.com/solutionmanagerbp and then search on EarlyWatch, it will bring up a document called EWA Activation.pdf.

Anyways, a Refresh Service Defintion does a refresh. Meaning if you have a bad defintion or an inconsistency, but its the msot current version, it would not be replaced. A refresh just looks for updates and applies them, but it would not address a problem that arises with a definition, which for various reasons does occur from time to time. This is why there is the menu option in utilies to maintain the service definitions.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Paul,

Thank you. I'm going to monitor the sdccn tasks and determine if the problem occurs often. If this happens just very sporadically, now I know what is the root cause and how to proceed to solve it.

Cheers,

Diego.

Answers (0)