8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2011 7:11 AM by Suneer Mehmood RSS

Local Repository User Rights for the Data Designer

Alexander Cares
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

we are using the Data Services with 4 users and one local repository stored on the server.

Is it possible to hide in the Data Designer foreign objects and projects from other users in the local repository? What's the best practice for that, for every user a seperate repository or to restrict the repository rights with the cmc?

Our system:

Windows Server 2008

Data Services 4.0 SP1

IBM DB2 9.7 (Repository)

Thanks for some tips and hints!

• Re: Local Repository User Rights for the Data Designer
    Jan Van Ansem

Hi Alexander,

At any point in time, you should only have one user connected to one repository in Designer.

If two users are using the same repository at the same time, then there is a risk of corruption of repository objects.

Best practice is to have a repository for each (concurrent) developer and a central repository for version management.

Depending how testing is organised, you might also need to have repositories for unit test / QA (UAT) and finally a production repository.

For good measure, an additional central reposotiry for production can be valuable:

- if development for new project start before the 'previous' project has gone into live.

- You can prepare go-live by checking in all the objects required for live into central-production first.

- It's the final safety measure, if objects in production are corrupted and dev/test systems have modified versions.

So, a typical landscape would look like this:

DEVELOPMENT:

n number of development repositories, one for each developer

1 test repository (local)

1 dev central repository

TEST

1 UAT repository (local)

PROD

1 PROD repository (local)

1 central repository

Jan.

Alexander Cares

Hi Jan,

thank you very much for the infos.

Do you know if it possible to store differnt local repositories in the same database (DB2) or needs every local repository a separate database?

Thanks again!

Jan Van Ansem

They can all sit in the same physical database.

The technical tables of the repositories will be the same for each repository so they just need to have to sit in a different schema / owner (terminology is different for different platforms, but the principle is the same).

Jan.

Alexander Cares

Wonderful, that works perfectly.

Sorry, but another problem appeared:

I have 4 users (with 4 local repositories for each user), who are in the "Data Designer Group", the group have only the right to view the repositories.

I added also to the repository 1 (example) the user 1 with full access rights, but when user 1 logs in, the repository 1 is read-only (maybe because of the group rights).

How can I solve this problem? My wish: every user can see the other repositories but can only work (full access) with his own.

I tried various combinations, but till now no one works?!

Have you got a clue for this one, too?!

Jan Van Ansem

I don't think you can do this in local repositories, but you should be able to do this in the central repository.

In the central repository you can set up groups and assign different levels of access for each group to all objects.

This means that developers can do a 'get latest' from the central repository for all objects (also those from other developers), but they won't be able to check in/check out objects from other developers.

Jan.

rajiv shekhar

Jan,

sorry to hijack the post but seems like its dead anyway. I had a question about the post you made about how many repositories are required in each environment. You mention that for production enviornment, 2 repositories are needed: 1 PROD repository (local) and 1 central repository. Can you tell me what will the local repository be used for ?? and is this the repository that should be connected to job servers or the central repository ? I am a little confused.

Many thanks in advance,

RS

Michael Eaton

Hello

You need at least 1 local repository in each environment because that's the only type of repository that you can execute jobs from.  I know, the name is a little confusing.

M

Suneer Mehmood

In Production env, you should have one Local Repository. The production Job Server will be connected to this (Production Local Repository). Without the Job Server associated with a Local Repository, you cannot execute your job in Production.

Central Repository is used as a storage / version control area. The Central Repository in production will be used mainly to move the final tested objects from the Test Env to Production Env. A direct export from Test local repository to Production local repository will also be possible. But through Central Repository, it will be better controlled and only the Tested and Approved versions will remain in this Central Repository.

Regards,

Suneer

Actions