cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Year's resolution: Quit smoking and debugging

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear fellow smokers and sinners,

Who else is up to a challenge from 1st January 2012 onwards? --> No more smoking and no more debugging in the new year.

The rules:

1) You must prior have smoked or "joint-venture" with an (ex)-smoker, otherwise competing in the resolution is unfair.

2) You must have been addicted to and dependent on debugging your or others' programs in production.

3) Electric cigarettes, nicotene plasters and other external "hacks" are not allowed.

4) External debugging of other user ID's is also cheating and not allowed.

5) Emergencies must have a high priority SAP Note instructing smoking or debugging, otherwise not allowed.

6) If you cheat, then you must confess. There is no penalty (except eternal shame :-).

7) Penalty for being caught without confessing is answering all questions in the Test&Playground forum for 1 week.

Cheers and happy new year's to all,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (11)

Answers (11)

0 Kudos

"After reading this thread I feel like smoking."

Definitely in 2016 we will quit smoking ,

Because in 2015 we took that resolution,

And in 2014 we actually thought about it,

So along with  the seriousness of 2013 , it should happen this year.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry for chiming in late this year - happy new year 2016 to all!

Anyone in for another challenge to see who can resist smoking or debugging for the longest, or forever!?

Cheers,

Julius

ps: premise being that if you write really good and understandable programs and you wont need to debug them!

pps: smoking needs no introduction - if you don't fail at debugging problems with really horrid code, then you don't need to smoke either to get over it..  🙂

Former Member
0 Kudos

pps: can someone move this back to the Coffee Corner?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hang in there Julius. Just try to remember when you have the urge; cigarettes really taste bad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Problem is that I have these really nice cigars from the Dominican Republic sitting here next to me. Pah! Cigarettes!  😉

Anyone out there quit smoking as a new new year's resolution and needs a benchmark? Or is it only Keith going to give up on the points this year in the 2013 SCN survey and me on smoking?  ;-)))))))

Cheers,

Julius

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

had the resolution to rage less about things. lasted 2 days... must meditate upon this in the Tao of programming ~_~

Errors have occurred.
We won't tell you where or why.

Lazy programmers.

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I'll be happy to take those DR cigars off your hands for you...I'll trade you some chewing gum for them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Your wife's okay with you smoking cigars around the house Jason? Or do you plan to smoke them only at work?

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

At work, on the roof: I just need to convince IT to let me store them in one of the server rooms in lieu of getting a humidor.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Friends...

Wishing you a very happy new year 2012

(Wir wünschen Ihnen ein frohes neues Jahr 2012)

1) im not smoking

2) all the users are shouting while i'm debugging on production server,

so finally i have decided to enhance server speed and always perform debugging in quality/ Dev server.

3) need beer/pizza while working.

enjoy SAP !!

- Avirat

former_member188685
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think i am not qualified for this as i am non smoker , but i can't live without debugging if i have to troubleshoot some urgent production issue.

So i am out of this

SuhaSaha
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

- Non-smoker

- Didn't have the opportunity to debug in Production for a long time, sigh

So technically i'm out. So all the best to those who're in & good luck.

Wish you a very Happy & Prosperous New Year.

Cheers,

Suhas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Same here.. already a non-smoker. I am in, if "resolution-splitting" is allowed (for no-debugging).

Regards, Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the good wishes folks - and thereby making the rest of us look like scoundrels... the guilty ones...

@ Vinod: I added you to the list. Perhaps you can joint-venture with a smoker who does not debug though?

@ Vijay: It is very low risk because for sure Amit is going to smoke in the first week or so already...

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Too young to feel guilty.

MaheshChandra
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am a non smoker,but i asked one of my colleague to quit smoking from new year at least in my presence)

Am i eligible for joining the list.

Advance wishes to a 2012.

నూతన సంవత్సర శుభాకాంక్షలు..

regards

mahesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sure that is fine. Added to the list of SDN's bravest..

Just keep an eye on your colleague and have him / her check the syslog for A14, A18 and A19 messages from you

Come on folks! Particularly for the Ozzies and Kiwis there is not much time left anymore!

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Happy New Year guys,

hell ya, i take the resolution...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had no option other than to debug twice today already and then smoked a cigarette afterwards...

So I am out... (but will start over again for my own internal contest...

Sorry folks and good luck to the gurus who are still holding out!

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Day 3 is almost over and still no sign of moodiness or trying to find excuses to have a smoke. I am hoping to break my record from last year (5 days).

Trick is to eat lots of salads, do regular fitness training or some sorts and wear the new socks and underwear you got for Christmas so that you feel more sexy - this helps to keep the cigarettes and cigars on the moral and social blacklist in your mind.

Has anyone else done this again are all others still "dry" since last year, huh??  😉

Cheers,

Julius

ps: Can this be moved back to the Coffee Corner?

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm not smoking cigarettes, only cigars, very occasionally. I don't feel like quitting though.

Debugging...can't live without it. It is always the other guys programs that require this, obviously...

I wish everybody "Guten Rutsch" and a successful 2012, we will all feel like newbies again once SCN has been migrated.

Cheers

Thomas

former_member181995
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Interesting Resolution and more interesting the penalty

Quit Smoking would be the resolution of my third straight year! Since then my longest record of without smoking is 173 straight days . But surely this would be top resolution of this year too.

And Quit debugging would be no way among my resolutions, because i'm not chuck norris in ABAP ;-). But i'm competing in the challenge.

Cheers

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ha! I was waiting for you and PK to show up.

Took you a while so I assume you went out for your last smoke first and then responded?

Btw: Debugging only applies to Production systems. Smoking applies to both lungs though.

I will start a list at the top. Harish, Lukas and Abhishek in as well?

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Julius - your requirements are unclear:

I smoked for years and quit years ago, so do i win part a?

Why would anyone want to give up debugging in the production system??

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just add to the list:

Big boy - India doesnu2019t need points.

Happy new year to all.

FOS

(Fan of Open Source)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have not debugged in all those years, then not smoking counts retro-fitted as well.

Otherwise you need to catch up in the next 4 days with the smoking and then quit again.

Jokes aside, we will keep you as a joker for the end debate which renders the whole thing null and void because off irregularities and inconsistencies between the rules customizing and the contestants data...

Or are you going to give up the debugging and see how long you can hold out?

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

The production system is down til Monday, so I guess I have a leg up.

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

That is an interesting approach to avoiding year end closing problems and the passing of time in general.

So are you in or not?

FOS

(Flat Öarth Society)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It wouldn't be fair. I'm out.

Rob

Former Member
0 Kudos

FOS = French Onion Soup

Good for our souls in winter

Former Member
0 Kudos

FOS = French Onion Soup

Ok, that found a break-point... fair enough... but I was thinking that perhaps we can still save Rob and Thomas? Seems all hope is lost.

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok, let me spoil your fun:

- I don't smoke, except the occasional cigar or hookah.

- I NEVER was given a userID in Production at any of the client locations I've worked so far.

pk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

To all those who smoke, All The Best in your effort to quit smoking and hope December 2012, we get to see some great results from all the competitors.

Happy New Year!!!

Vishwa.

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It's pretty much the same for me as for PK. I don't smoke and developers in my company fundamentally have no permission on the production systems. I guess it's better this way...otherwise I would have razed/debugged the damn pile of junk to the ground a couple of times now...

Thus, Julius, good Sir, I'm afraid you must count me out for this formidable challenge :-<

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

- Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it hundreds of times.

- Quitting Debugging is easier. I get sample codes from SCN 😛

pk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Wondering... How did one can manage to ask such a tricky question.

gotta debug for solution!

but before that i need a pack of cigarettes.

atlast..m in dilemma

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Haha Julius, never failing to put a big grin on my face 😆 , Happy New Year to you too and much strength for your upcoming withdrawal syndromes )

7) Penalty for being caught without confessing is answering all questions in the Test&Playground forum for 1 week.

oh shi-

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Looks like I am not the only one working today. I got that feeling driving into work on empty roads and walking in to an empty building. But I have got company on SDN.

harishtk1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To anybody serious about quitting the smoking habit - All the best - I wish you every success.

Debugging habit - have not been able to kick this myself - I do not want to start something in which I will not succeed.Maybe next year.

Regards