cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP DMS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts

We have implemented SAP (FI,MM,HR,SD) for our client. They are planning to purchase Documentum as Document Management System. We have to suggest SAP DMS in a better way and need to explain it is far better than Documentum. Their requirement is to have all the DMS funtionalities in portal (including workflow also).

Can you provide your valuable points to say that SAP DMS is far better than Documentum to have DMS through portal. Also please clarify the following

1. Can we use SAP DMS as like as ESS / MSS. Should we need to get license for all DMS employees to access SAP DMS through portal because to access ESS / MSS through portal the user license is not mandatory for HR.

2. All the DMS functionalities ( Workflow, Distribution, Object links to Standard / Non Standard SAP objects etc.,) can be used through portal.

Regards

Raja

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'd actually recommend neither SAP DMS or Documentum.

SAP's strategic direction is now to align with Open Text and they now sell a product called SAP Extended ECM by Open Text. This has extensive integration into all the areas of SAP and has less usability issues than SAP DMS.

If it was purely a PM requirement, SAP DMS would work, but given the modules they intend implementing (FI, SD, HR Etc), they be able to produce a better system with SAP Extended ECM.

I suspect the reasoning behind the switch to Open Text was that SAP DMS was not a true ECM system and could not offer the full capabilities required to meet large enterprise needs. I.e. email archiving, web content management, etc.

I suggest you do a search for SAP Extended ECM. There is extensive portal views provided for this product. There is also a product that SAP sell called EFM (Employee File Management) which covers the HR requirements, but integrates them into a single solution.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Athol, you're absolutely right on.  Raja, let us know if you'd like more information on the OpenText xECM and EFM proposals that Athol made. We'd be happy to help.

0 Kudos

Hi Athol,

I saw your discussion regarding SAP DMS,

Currently we are scraping the SAP DMS and moving to XECM Open text,

My requirement is to move all the existing documents in SAP DMS(Content Server ) to Opentext xECM where client  is looking for Comprehensive content management solutions capable for content management functionalities. (edit, reserve, versioning, ACL).

Please advice the best way to perform above migration.

Thanks

Giridhar D

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

1. Can we use SAP DMS as like as ESS / MSS. Should we need to get license for all DMS employees to access SAP DMS through portal because to access ESS / MSS through portal the user license is not mandatory for HR.

No separate license needs to be procurred for SAP DMS. Its free of cost.

Hence a Major advantage over documentum.

2. All the DMS functionalities ( Workflow, Distribution, Object links to Standard / Non Standard SAP objects etc.,) can be used through portal.

Above mentioned functionalities cannot be used through portal directly. You need to create an iView in Portal for each DMS transactions to make them usable on Portal.

Alternatively you can propose Easy DMS tool, which has Windows look and feel and easy to use software.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Thanks for your replies. Can you please clarify the following doubts

1. I referred some forums and understood that SAP DMS can be accessed through portal by using "DMS connector for KM". If we can access SAP DMS through portal without license then what is the purpose of getting SAP DMS license? Is the license only for accessing SAP DMS in R3? For example, If i get a single license for SAP DMS then is it possible to access SAP DMS through portal by mutiple users (100).

2. We have created some documents in KM and accessing those documents through ESS/MSS. What are the configurations to be done once the "DMS connector for KM" is installed to access the SAP DMS documents through ESS/MSS.

3. If we create iviews for DMS transactions, can we access all the screens (even customized screens) in R3 with all the functionalities through portal ?

Regards

Raja

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Raja,

1. I referred some forums and understood that SAP DMS can be accessed through portal by using "DMS connector for KM". If we can access SAP DMS through portal without license then what is the purpose of getting SAP DMS license? Is the license only for accessing SAP DMS in R3? For example, If i get a single license for SAP DMS then is it possible to access SAP DMS through portal by mutiple users (100).

DMS connector for KM is meant for retrieve data from DMS repository for read only mode. Modification to these originals cannot be done from Portal system.

2. We have created some documents in KM and accessing those documents through ESS/MSS. What are the configurations to be done once the "DMS connector for KM" is installed to access the SAP DMS documents through ESS/MSS.

Documents stored in KM and Documents stored in DMS are all together different repositories. In case you want to store ESS/MSS documents in DMS repository, you need to configure Archive link setup for HR objects.

3. If we create iviews for DMS transactions, can we access all the screens (even customized screens) in R3 with all the functionalities through portal ?

Through Transactional iViews it is possible to access DMS transactions from Portal.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak Kori

Thanks you very much for your valuable replies.

Points 1 & 2 are clearly understood from your reply. I have some doubts on point no-2.

I confirmed from your comments that we can view the originals (DMS) through KM by using "DMS connector for KM". We have installed "DMS connector for KM" and we want to access the originals (in DMS) in KM portal.

1. What are the settings to be done in both DMS & KM.

2. Will all the document types are automatically displayed in KM.

3. We created some folders in KM (under public folders) and I checked the folders in KM but there is no DMS documents. What is the menu path to see the DMS documents in KM.

Regards

Raja