cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IP Comment solution (How To Document) - not showing comments in column

0 Kudos

Hi there,

I've just implemented the solution drescribed in the How To Paper "How To... Build a Fast and Flexible Comment Solution for BEx Web Applications" and so far, it works quite well, except of one crucial thing: the comments are NOT shown in the defined comment_column of the query.

If I jump to the RRI-target or double-click the column cell, the BSP application is shown with the correct comment, but it is not shown directly in the web.

Does anyone of you know, what could be wrong or where to start analysing?

Thanks a lot

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

0 Kudos

Thanks Gerd! It is working now. We are on BW 701 and Portal is NW 7.01 SP 13.

One thing I noticed though is that this how-to document solution seems not to work for queries created against a BI-IP Aggregate on top of a multiprovider. It is saving in table ZCOM_BUF but not saving the in the comments table. I tried creating an aggregate against an Infocube and created the query from that aggregate and it worked like a champ! Thank you for your help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

we are also facing the following problems for several queries within the template:

- FM Z_RETURN_COMMENTS: 

- internal table  "i_t_object_names" is empty as well as

- internal table "i_t_member_names" is empty

I debugged the webtemplate and discovered that the paramters which were sent to the FM via XML were empty within "objects" and "members" tag.

We already tried a lot of things but still have no clue on how to proceed, as the error occurs before the ABAP FM is called.

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Harry

0 Kudos

Hi Harald,

we are facing a similiar problem. In the FM Z_RETURN_COMMENTS the parameter  I_T_OBJECT_NAMES is filled correctly, but I_T_MEMBER_NAMES contains several initial values.

In our system, this behavior belongs to some authorization issues but we are still searching for the reason. Did you solve your problem already?

Does anybody know which authorization can cause wrong parameters for the comment solution?

kind regards

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Harry and Thomas!

Could you provide me the following information?

1. Which BI Java version do you have installed?

2. To which column do you refer? Is this column a compounded key? See note 1775737.

3. Could you switch the presentation/display of the referenced column to "Key" (instead of e.g. "Text")? Just to check the result...

The Java part tries to collect a characteristic/value combination of each row. The values should be passed in I_T_MEMBER_NAMES.

You could use RSTT to create a trace that allows you to view the passed values in the ABAP debugger.

Yours,

Tobias

0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

thanks for your reply.

My problem is just solved. The following authorizations were missing:

S_RS_FOLD     SUP_FOLDER=X

S_RS_TOOLS        COMMAND=WEBPUBLISH

Without these authorizations, only comments without assignments to characteristics were shown and the parameter I_T_MEMBER_NAMES contains only empty entries.

best regards

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas!

Thank you for the update! I was not aware of this authorizations.

Thank you,

Tobias

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are experiencing the same problem.  In 7.3, the latest version of the solution does not display the comments in the report layout.

Any thoughts?

gerd_schoeffl
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Joseph,

Without having a look at the system it is very hard to tell why the comments are not displayed. Some checks:

Have you implemented the latest version of the paper (January 2013)?

After creating a command we have to force a refresh of the web template. This is done by a Java script and this java script had to be changed in 7.30. It now relies on the fast that there is an Analysis Item with a certain name (ANALYSIS_ITEM_1). Does your Web Template contain such an Analysis item? If not you have to adapt the java script coding. Please also see the hint on page 25 of the paper.

If it still does not work - can you provide access to the system?

Best regards,

Gerd

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Gerd

I have followed this discussion due to the fact that we use com.sap.ip.bi.rig for our comment solution.

Our comments are currently not saved in SAP BW (backend) in a table (DSO), they are stored in SAP BW Portal KM.

We are facing huge performance problems with this solutions, therefore we think about to re-desgin our comment solution. We plan to move our comments into a table of SAP BW backend.

We read the latest version 2.3 of this How To paper.

We still have a few question, also regarding the discussion of this blog.

I would like to start:

1.) the comments are NOT shown in the defined comment-column of the query.  If I jump to the RRI-target or double-click the column cell, the BSP application is shown with the correct comment, but it is not shown directly in the web                                  

This issue seems to be solved with version 2.1 of the How To... Build a Fast and Flexible Comment

Are there no complaints with the current version 2.3 regarding this problem?

2.) length of comments. Can we use more than 60 characters for a comment with this solution?

3.) Are there still any problems with alphanumeric characteristics (costcenters, orders, etc.)

4.) FM CORRECT_COMPOUND_CHARS: There was a compliant that you might have problems with compounded characteristics. Example: costcenter (char 5): 1001, cost center area: 99. BEx query result: 91001. Is this problem still current?

5.) Our requirement is to fill up comments on hierarchy nodes. In former times this was not possible in the ABAP stack, therefore we used the SAP BW portal to store our comments (note 1050190).    Is this requirement of comment creation on hierarchy nodes in SAP BW backend with How To paper version 2.3 now possible?

6.) As we are already using modul com.sap.ip.bi.rig can we run our current solution (Portal) in parallel to our intended solution in BW backend by using two analysis items? This means: We need our old comments of the "portal" version, additionally we need to enter new comments with the "new" solution.

7.) We expect a performance increase with the solution to store comments in the ABAP stack, as the comments are closer to the characteristics and key figures. Can you confirm this evaluation?

It would be fantastic to get a few answers on my questions.

Kind Regards

Thomas

gerd_schoeffl
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

here are some comments regarding your questions above.

1) This seemed to be a problem with the command module and the RRI. I currently do not know of remaining issues but have to admit that I am currently not up to date regarding this problem.

2) Yes - this should also be mentioned in the paper already.

3) I do not know of any problem that is still open in this context.

4) This is still an issue. The problem is that if you have cc 1001 and ca 99 the concatenated value the solution receives from the front end is 991001. If you have cc 001 and ca 991 you will have the same concatenated value. This is the problem and it still persists. The problem does not arise is the characteristic value always use as many characters as possible by definition. If cc has length 4 and cost area has length 3 and they always use the full length then in the above example we would has something like:

cc 1001, ca 099 -> 0991001

cc 0001, ca 991 -> 9910001

and the problem does not arise.

5) If you are in a hierarchy with postable nodes then comments should be supported - otherwise not. Maybe one could extend the solution to support hierarchy nodes.

6) Modules are bound to the analysis items. If you have two analysis items then you have two different module instances and you can set them individually - that means you can use the existing solution in one analysis item and the new solution in he other analysis item in parallel.

7) I would expect a performance incease (for the reasons you have mentioned) but I have to admit that I did not do any performance tests with large numbers of comments.

Best regards,

Gerd

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Gerd!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gerd

We have implemented the scenario of the How-to-paper version 2.3.

We have created a web template with this comment solution.

Typing a comment in the popup window works fine, but after pressing the save button we are getting an Java Script error in the layout tab of the BSP "z_edit_comments.htm" ('window.parent.opener.document.getElementById(...)' is null or not an object).

In SAP GUI we can execute the BSP without any errors.

How can we fix this problem?

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)
Timestamp: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 06:15:56 UTC

Message: 'window.parent.opener.document.getElementById(...)' is null or not an object
Line: 63
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: ..../bc/bsp/sap/z_comments/z_edit_comments.htm

Message: 'window.parent.opener.document.getElementById(...)' is null or not an object
Line: 47
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: ...../bc/bsp/sap/z_comments/z_edit_comments.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gerd

Have you read my question sent on Jun 11, 2014 8:31 AM ?

Regards

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am facing the same problem. I used the "How To... Build a Fast and Flexible Comment Solution for BEx Web Applications" in Version 2.00 and 2.10.

The RRI works, I enter a comment, confirm it but finally either it gets not stored in the table nor is it displayed in the specified column.

Did you solve the problem?

Thank you,

Alex

gerd_schoeffl
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please have a look at the latest version of the How to paper? Maybe the problems are solved with the new version.

Common reasons for situations as described above are:

- The refresh of the template does not work correctly under BW 7.30

- The comment solution are used in a multi server environment

- Problems with compound characteristics of certain types

- The settings in the comment module (column number or name) are not correct

Please note that all of the above errors (except the last one which is an error in the setup at the customer site...) have been solved in the latest version of the paper (version 2.1).

Best regards,

Gerd Schöffl

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gerd,

Thanks for your hints. The latest verison of the How-to paper was used (2.1)

I implemented a simple IP example:

- planning query based on a single realtime InfoCube

- enviroment BW 7.30/SP5

- the settings in the command module are correct (column 5 as in example, query was built accordingly)

- WAD template copied from How-to

- RRI works

What works:

- popup appears / RRI

- comments can be entered and will be stored (since code regarding pure reporting scenario was uncommented in z_edit_comments.htm)

- comments will be read from DB when running the query again

What still is an issue:

- the comments are not shown in column 5 (no refresh?)

- deletion not possible (assumption: deletion of the comment in the initialization event does not work?

Discovered problems:

- FM Z_RETURN_COMMENTS: 

- internal table  "i_t_object_names" is empty --> workaround (i_t_object_names filled from i_t_object_names filled l_t_eltdir)

- wrong handle

Even when the handle is overwritten in debugging mode the comment is not shown in column 5.

Any hint / help is highly appreciated.

Thank you & best regards,

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

I seem to experience the same problems with the Comment Solution. We are on BW 7.3 and implemented the 2.1 version of the solution.

Getting the popup is easy, storing comments is also possible, but then the problems started to display the comment in the column. I only once got it to work, when using a different form of reference to the column, by using the Structure Member:

<bi:MOD_REFERENCE value="com.sap.ip.bi.rig.Comment" />

<bi:MOD_PARAMETER_LIST type="ORDEREDLIST" >

<bi:MOD_PARAMETER index="1" type="COMPOSITE" >

<bi:MOD_PARAM_NAME value="COLUMN_5" />

<bi:MOD_PARAM_VALUE type="CHOICE" value="BOOLEAN" />

<bi:MOD_PLACEHOLDER_LIST type="ORDEREDLIST" >

<bi:MOD_PARAM_VALUE index="1" type="CHOICE" value="STRUCTURE_MEMBER" >

<bi:STRUCTURE_MEMBER text="00O2TP2X4S9E1TVZ87XGMCNTJ" value="00O2TP2X4S9E1TVZ87XGMCNTJ" />

</bi:MOD_PARAM_VALUE>

</bi:MOD_PLACEHOLDER_LIST>

</bi:MOD_PARAMETER>

But again, I only got it to work once: in a different ip-transaction I implemented the same solution and tried this column reference too, but this trick doesn't work anymore.

I've also experienced the handle problem. In a test environment the Z_SAVE_COMMENTS doesn't receive a proper handle and cannot store the comment from the buffer table to the comment table. However, when we implemented the solution in the ip-transaction as mentioned above, the handle suddenly was came through properly.

The Save Comment bug appeared too in our implementation. The only solution that worked was to save the planning function Z_DUMMY_SAVE under a different aggregation level. This took me a couple of times though.

This comment solution seems fragile under BW 7.3.

--update 03-10-2012:

Now I've debugged a malfunctioning comment solution to the empty "i_t_object_names" too. ANy ideas as to where it is referenced? Somewhere in the com.sap.ip.bi.rig.Comment Module?

--update 01-11-2012:

A problem with the solution is that it has problems with the Alpha conversion. We use CostCenters in our queries on which we comment. All comments are accepted and stored in the comment table, but only numeric costcenters are displayed in the columns. Alphanumeric costcenters are not displayed, except when they have all the CHAR(10) characters filled in.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

In our project we are about to implement this Comment  solution.  Could you please suggest us any supporting document or S-note implementation is required in order to move further to implement this solution.

Your help is highly Appreciated...

Thanks,

Mohan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have a scenario in which the Read Write Query is on a Multiprovider. The PDF document says to modify the coding in Z_RETURN_COMMENTS and also in the RRI method ~CALL_URL to populate the proper underlying basic cube.

Question 1) I am having problems pass selection values from the RRI to the BSP. When I debugged the code where a BSP URL is formed it is missing the Handle. The FM Z_RETURN_HANDLE does not return any handle

Question 2) When I debug the OnInitialization event of the BSP page it DOES NOT RECEIVE the selection values into the variable "selection". In short the RRI selected values of the ROW are not being properly passed on to the BSP application. In debugging the URL only holds details that are seen on the properties tab of the z_edit_comments.htm page.

Question 3) Is there a way SAP can provide a program that can invoke the BSP application and save the comments into the Buffer table as a test tool. This way at least we can conclude that the BSP is working fine independent of the WAD application.

gerd_schoeffl
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Kiran,

Easy things first:

Q2) Could you please make sure that the BSP application has the flag 'statefull from now on' set? This is not the default value so the setting can get easily unnoticed.

MultiProvider: In most cases the system can determine the underlying single provider, because say the entire column in a query is restricted to a single provider in the multiprovider. In this case you do not have to change the coding of the how to paper. This is only necessary if the single provider can not be easily determined (see page 8 of the How to Guide).

Q1) This should never happen. Is there any way I can access your system? is it reacheable via OSS?

Q3) Unfortinately we do not have this option...

Best regards,

Gerd

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

My BSP and the .htm page both are stateful.. Also SELECTION and HANDLE both are flagged as "Auto" on the page attributes.

Appreciate if you can communicate your contacts using my email ID from my OSS ID.  Let me know how I can reach you.. BTW my manager just authorized me to do a Remote Desktop IM session...

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) I found out one issue in the RRI CALL_URL method. While it passess info of selections/Handle to the BSP. The BSP does not like %3D  %26 values for & and =.  So I replaced them with ASCII values in the RRI and now the jump works to the BSP. (I am on BW 7.3 system Level 8). But still the BSP does no get proper selections. So I used Export/Import to resolve getting the Handle. Also used FM RSBBS_CLUSTER_IMPORT to fetch the selection criteria in my BSP in the OnInitialization event. So look like the jump issue is RESOLVED.. (But not happy with the hardcoding)....

2) Once this issue was resolved now it seems that there is some kinda bug (or an issue) in the FM Z_RETURN_COMMETNS.

The FM dumps at the following instruction.

*check the call buffer first - unfortunately we have to do a loop...

l_call_db = 'X'

assign component 'T_IN' of structure <l_s_call_buf> to <l_t_in>.  (This DUMPS).

Looks like <l_s_call_buf> DOES NOT HAVE 'T_IN' component. ( Rather <l_t_call_buf> has the 'T_IN' component. )

BTW here is my scenario

a) Multi-Provider on top of Plan and Actual's Cube

b) Aggre. on top of the Multiprovider

c) Read/Write Query on top of this Aggre.

d) Comments table has less infoObjects then the Multiprovider

e) RRI interface configured to send URL that has & and = instead of the %3D / %26

f) BSP harcoded to use export/import to recevie the Selection values done by the RRL click.

g) BW system 7.3 level 8

h) Planning environment is WAD on SAP BI Portal (BI Java).

Any help is highly appreciated....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Bastiaan,

Were you able to resolve the issue with Alpha conversion?

We experience the same issue - comments are only shown for infoobjects which are filled upto max length, ie. if infoobject is CHAR(5) and its value is ABCDF (5 symbols) the comments are shown, if ABCD - not shown.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gerd,

You helping a lot about this how to.

Could you please check my reply to Bastiaan above.

We experience problem with the size/actual value of infoobject. If infoobject is defined as CHAR5 when comments are shown for ABCDE (5 symbols) values, but not for ABCD (4 symbols) . Removing alpha conversion surely didn't work.

gerd_schoeffl
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Ilia,

One short question - are you using compound characteristics? Is this char(5) characteristic compund with another characteristic?

Then is it used in the rows or as a characteristic in a restricted key figure/structure element?

Best regards,

Gerd

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gerd,

After some debug we have found the issue.

Saving was ok, but presentation - not.

Indeed we use compund characteristic and in form CORRECT_COMPOUND_CHARS the length of infobject is used to get char value (by shift). in case when the value was less than infobject length, the form took part of compounded infoobject.

For example

Infoobject1 CHAR5 was ABCD

it was compunded with infoojbect2 CHAR3 (XYZ)

so the code took ZABCD (5 last symbols of compunded XYZABCD)

so we fixed this and values are now shown.

Another issue we experience is  - comment pop is shown by clicking on cell for WAD forms based on IP cubes (input enabled query) and not on standard cubes. For standard cubes user can call a pop via conext menu only (right click)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bastiaan

Are you still using version 2.1?

Which SP level on BW 7.3 are you currently running?

Thanks

Thomas

0 Kudos

Hi! I know this is an old thread, but i am having issues with the implementation of the how-to document. Whenever I enter comments, and click on the button to save, the refresh of the web template is not working correctly. When the URL is refreshed, the web template is using the default 0ANALYSIS_PATTERN instead of my customized web template. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

I also tried to create a new web template out of the sample test web application in the appendix but the same behaviour is occuring.

gerd_schoeffl
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jezel,

If I understand it correctly then the popup for entering the comments comes up correctly. YOu enter a comment and then press the accept button to close the popup and to return to the original web template. But now you only see the default template. Is this correct?    

Can you please share the Java script coding of the method JS_DELAY_REFRESH in your template?

Many thanks and best regards,

Gerd

0 Kudos

Hi Gerd,

Thanks for looking into this. Yes, the comment box is coming up correctly. It's when the main web template gets refreshed after entering the comment that it is not acting right. I would like to mention though that even though the it appears that it is using the standard web template 0ANALYSIS_PATTERN, the URL of the link shows my web template technical name.

Below is the code for JS_DELAY_REFRESH.

function executeJS_DELAY_REFRESH( currentState, defaultCommandSequence ){

setTimeout("executeJS_TRANSFER_STATE_R()", 500);

}

and here's for the JS_TRANSFER_STATE_R.

function executeJS_TRANSFER_STATE_R( currentState,defaultCommandSequence ){

var commandSequence = new sapbi_CommandSequence();

var commandTRANSFER_STATE_1 = new sapbi_Command( "TRANSFER_STATE" );

var paramALL_DATA_PROVIDERS = new sapbi_Parameter( "ALL_DATA_PROVIDERS","X" );

commandTRANSFER_STATE_1.addParameter( paramALL_DATA_PROVIDERS );

commandSequence.addCommand( commandTRANSFER_STATE_1 );

return sapbi_page.sendCommand( commandSequence );

}

thank you!

gerd_schoeffl
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jezel,

There seems to be a problem with this transfer state. Could you please try the following version of JS_DELAY_REFRESH?:

function executeJS_DELAY_REFRESH( currentState, defaultCommandSequence ){

setTimeout("executeJS_SET_ITEM_PARAMETERS_EAA()", 500);

}

and

function executeJS_SET_ITEM_PARAMETERS_EAA( currentState, defaultCommandSequence ){
var commandSequence = new sapbi_CommandSequence();
var commandSET_ITEM_PARAMETERS_1 = new sapbi_Command( "SET_ITEM_PARAMETERS" );
    var paramITEM_TYPE = new sapbi_Parameter( "ITEM_TYPE", "ANALYSIS_ITEM" );commandSET_ITEM_PARAMETERS_1.addParameter( paramITEM_TYPE );

var paramINIT_PARAMETERS = new sapbi_Parameter( "INIT_PARAMETERS" );
var paramListINIT_PARAMETERS = new sapbi_ParameterList();commandSET_ITEM_PARAMETERS_1.addParameter( paramINIT_PARAMETERS );

var paramVISIBILITY = new sapbi_Parameter( "VISIBILITY", "HIDDEN" );
paramListINIT_PARAMETERS.addParameter( paramVISIBILITY );
paramINIT_PARAMETERS.setChildList( paramListINIT_PARAMETERS );
var paramTARGET_ITEM_REF = new sapbi_Parameter( "TARGET_ITEM_REF", "ANALYSIS_ITEM_1" );
commandSET_ITEM_PARAMETERS_1.addParameter( paramTARGET_ITEM_REF );
commandSequence.addCommand( commandSET_ITEM_PARAMETERS_1 );

var commandSET_ITEM_PARAMETERS_2 = new sapbi_Command( "SET_ITEM_PARAMETERS" );
var paramITEM_TYPE = new sapbi_Parameter( "ITEM_TYPE", "ANALYSIS_ITEM" );commandSET_ITEM_PARAMETERS_2.addParameter( paramITEM_TYPE );

var paramINIT_PARAMETERS = new sapbi_Parameter( "INIT_PARAMETERS" );
var paramListINIT_PARAMETERS = new sapbi_ParameterList();commandSET_ITEM_PARAMETERS_2.addParameter( paramINIT_PARAMETERS );

var paramVISIBILITY = new sapbi_Parameter( "VISIBILITY", "VISIBLE" );
paramListINIT_PARAMETERS.addParameter( paramVISIBILITY );
paramINIT_PARAMETERS.setChildList( paramListINIT_PARAMETERS );
var paramTARGET_ITEM_REF = new sapbi_Parameter( "TARGET_ITEM_REF", "ANALYSIS_ITEM_1" );
commandSET_ITEM_PARAMETERS_2.addParameter( paramTARGET_ITEM_REF );

commandSequence.addCommand( commandSET_ITEM_PARAMETERS_2 );
return sapbi_page.sendCommand( commandSequence );
}

In this coding it is assumed that the name of your analysis item is ANALYSIS_ITEM_1, You might have to adapt this.

What ist the version of your BW system/protal? Is it 7.40?

Best regards,

Gerd

0 Kudos

Hi Gerd, thanks for your last reply.The code correction you provided the last time resolved my error. I just noticed that my reply about it the last time appeared on the bottom of the thread instead of replying to you.

There is one issue that I am experiencing that I am hoping you can help me. I noticed that there are times when I enter comments, it is not saving the comments. Most of the time it works fine, but there are instances when I have to try entering comments several times until it saves it. When I did a debug of the BSP Page, I noticed that when I click on the Accept button, it is not triggering the OnInputProcessing event. There are times as well when I enter longer comments ( may be around 20 chars) and it's not saving it.

Do you have any idea why? I am hoping some other people are experiencing the same and can share to me how they resolve the problem.

Thank you in advance for any help.