cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual-Stack or single stack for PI 73 ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we are starting a project were i.t's going to be both a PI system and a Composition Environment (BPM) system.

The BPM has been installed using Nw 7.3, and we are willing to setup the PI using Nw 7.3 too.

The BPM and the PI system are going to work toghether.

I read somewhere now the PI 73 give the possibility to use a single stack configuration, so java only, instead of the usual abap+java.

In your opinion which is better, keeping in mind we are starting from scratch ?

thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If its a new implementation, then it is better to go for Java only installation.

However, PI 7.3 has some limitations (check out on SCN) like some adapter level options which are unavailable. These options are fully available only in PI 7.31. Therefore if you have option to get 7.31, it is definitely recommended to go for Java only installation. However if it is 7.3 only, first check if the limitation can affect your business scenario implementation. If it affects to large extent, you may have to go for dual stack option.

Regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava

Former Member
0 Kudos

tnks for the feedbacks

I'm not aware if 7.3.1 is in general availability or not, we are not doing a pilot project.

I only know our project is focused on BPM.

If I choose abap+java for PI 7.3 I will be able in the future to upgrade to 7.3.1 or in this release the Abap stack is not available anymore ?

Best regards

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>>I'm not aware if 7.3.1 is in general availability or not

It is not as of now. It is however available for Ramp up projects since Nov 2011.

>>If I choose abap+java for PI 7.3 I will be able in the future to upgrade to 7.3.1 or in this release the Abap stack is not available anymore ?

Yes, you will be able to upgrade to 7.3.1. Release 7.3.1 also has abap stack.

Regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In my opinion, dual stack does have some advantages such as the ccBPM and ability to leverage the ABAP for certain things like hosting tables for value mappings. Also look at the skills organization has Java Vs ABAP.

Thanks,

Praveen.

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

refer this thread

Also if you have more dependencies like BPM scenarios , abap mapping then go for dual stack. Ofcourse Java only stack give more performance than the dual one. Refer all experts and links given in the above thread,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roberto,

My two cents...

You might have already read the advantages of PI 7.3 single stack then dual stack, it purely depends on the type of interfaces you will be doing as you are starting from scratch.

if you are not using CCBPM and Abap mappings then it will be good to go with single stack, which has lot of advantages on server maintenance...

I came to know this but not very sure about it, if you choose to go with java now add ABAP stack later then you can add but not the other way, meaning can't remove ABAP stack if you install both stacks now.

thanks...