cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSO with Analysis for MS Excel?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are in the process of setting up our new BO4 environments and we will be integrating BO with the SAP Netweaver Portal, so our users will log on to the Portal and then open up a tab that will display the BI Launch Pad logging on to BO with SAP SSO into SAP BW.

This works great, but now some of our users will be using Analysis for Microsoft Excel and the question has come up, how do they authenticate to BO. Since they will have a user id in BW, but no password set since it is all SSO with logon tickets, how can they authenticate themself?

Thanks

Josh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

FWe have SSO working for Analysis for Excel.

First you have to replicate the BW user IDs to BOE and assign proper rights.

Second all OLAP connections are set to SSO (authentication 2).

Basis has to generate keystore and import the BO certificate.

Et voila!

Cheers

Sven

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sven,

Sounds like you are talking about Advanced Analysis and not Analysis for MS Office. We got SSO between BO and BW which allows users to run BICS connections under their own user id's. But I'm asking how does Analysis for MS Office, which is a client install get authenticated to BusinessObjects/BW without users entering a password.

We will be testing the way SAP says it should work shortly and I'll update this post accordingly.

Cheers,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Josh,

We too would like to use SSO from Analysis for MS Office to our BW system(s). Have you been able to come across a mechanism in order to do so?

Thanks for sharing.

Siva Mitra

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

the Admin guide for this product has these steps.

https://websmp103.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000384212012E/12_aaoffice_admin_sp5_en.pdf

please refer to section

6.2 Authentication and single sign-on

Regards,
H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I did the steps described within the manual.

It works when accesing the BW directly from BI launchpad (SSO with AD, SAP SSO set up, no additional SAP authentiaction is neccessary).

If I try to use the connection via aaoffice,  (logged to BO (also with AD SSO ) opening the same OLAP connection, I still get asked for user/password.

Can you please help?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

Were you able to achieve the SSO in Analysis in Excel?

If yes, can you share the steps?

Regards,

Pulkit

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI!

Patch BO4 SP2 P19 should cover that behaviour, but i have switched to BO 4SP4 before the patch was released so I wasn't able to test that.

The problem only occurs when I use AD sso  to authenticate to bo Platform.

If the user logs on via AD manually it works as intended without SSO in Analysis,

THe problem still exists in SBOP 4SP4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick reply.

I am using BI 4 SP02 Patch 16.

My requirement is when a user log in the BI launch pad using SAP authentication and opens a Workbook stored in BO repository Analysis prompts again to enter userid and password.

I need to achieve SSO at this level so that user only log in to BI Launch pad and should be able to log in Analysis tool for excel directly. Is this possible?

Regards,

Pulkit Khare

Answers (8)

Answers (8)

BasicTek
Advisor
Advisor

Analysis for Office can SSO to BI only if BI is integrated with kerberos. If using BW data Aoffice can actually connect directly to BW using SNC just like SAP GUI, if SSO works in SAP GUI it should work for Aoffice, in this case you essentially bypass BI.

mahendra_jain1
Discoverer
0 Kudos

In our setup, we have SNC for SSO and working with SAP GUI for all the environment including dev, quality, pre-prod and prod. For Analysis for office, the SSO works with Dev, Quality and Pre-Prod but for production its giving the login dialog box. What could be missing? Thanks.

cpilgrim
Discoverer
0 Kudos

In the case of client only tools (no BI components), including SNC encryption (but without Kerberos login), can Analysis for Office re-use an already open sap gui connection (launched from SAP Portal with SAPLogonticket)?

E.g. in our current use of BEx, we use portal iview to connect to BW with SAP Gui, and initiate RRMX transaction to open Excel/BEx. So the connection is open before BEx.

Is similar scenario possible with Analysis for Office?

Former Member
0 Kudos

So, there is a solution for this or not? i understand that you could have sso working on bi launchpad, but what about analysis for office? there is any chance of loggin without credentials? i mean not only to connect with bw or hana to select a datasource but also to connect to BO system in first place.

Thank and regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We still have this issue. Here is our scenario:

User is logged on through SSO into BI Launchpad. Analysis Office Workbook is published on the Launchpad. When opening up the workbook, the system opens Analysis (Excel) but prompts for logon to Business Objects. Unfortunately, with our set up, users don't have a direct password into Business Objects because they are authenticated in SAP using certificates.

So how do we get rid of the second logon screen into Analysis of Office (since the user is already authenticated when logged on to BI Launchpad)? Any help would be much appreciated.

scott_whittington2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

We are having the same issues also and have never been able to get it to work. Calling SAP hasn't helped either.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Josh,

I am experiencing the same issue.  Kindly share the resolution, please?

Cheers!

former_member234890
Discoverer
0 Kudos

The answer is in the Analysis for Office guide.  There was an issue that we encountered in the past, but that has been fixed and the instructions in the guide are still valid.

former_member234890
Discoverer
0 Kudos

We have also never been able to get SSO for the Office Analysis tool to work as advertised.  SSO is working everywhere but for that tool.  We are on BO 4 SP4 as well.  Tool has never worked.  Users are getting very frustrated, but all SAP ever does is ask for screenshots and log files from the PC...

Has anyone gotten this to work?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

I got the info, that this SSO  feature is only available in SP02 PL19.  It is intended to include the fix for SP04 in  PL 3 or PL 4

Yours

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the information, can you tell whether SAP told this to you?

As in, do you have any reference for the source?

Regards,

Pulkit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

A SAP technicain from the support hotline told me that, so we could close the open case. Keep in mind that it is not guaranteed for PL3 or 4 to include that.

It references the problem whne using WinAD SSO to sign on in Analysis for Office.

Best regards

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Look for SAP Note 1768868 - What is SAP Business Objects Analysis and what SSO options are available ?

Resume:

"There are two ways of using SSO with Analysis for MS OFFICE :

- Using the Analysis for Excel tool directly on a client machine using SNC (SNC needs to installed and configured on each client)

- Integrating Analysis for Office tools with Business Objects.

In this scenario, the Analysis for Excel reports are being saved in the Launchpad/Infoview.

The users login to the Infoview using the SAP login ID or any 3rd Party authentication method like Windows AD or LDAP. Then they open the reports with SSO enabled.

In order to achieve SSO with Business Objects BI 4.0, the following criteria must be met :

- SSO should be configured properly for Business Objects BI 4.0 for SAP authentication.

- In the CMC under OLAP Connections the parameter Authentication is set to SSO for the BW systems that should be used with Single Sign-On.

- With BI 4.0, the user doesn't need to own a user account in the BW system. They can use the login credential embedded with the data source in Analysis. "

Regards,

Marco Modesto

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anybody was able to get this working?

If yes please share the steps..

Regards,

Pulkit Khare

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's a good question! We are having the same issue. Anyone with a solution?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can we then assume there is no soluion to this problem?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Spoke with SAP on this and they said that if we set up normal SNC for SAP GUI the Analysis for Excel will utilise that and you will have SSO. We are still to try it so I'm not saying this will work. Anyone else looked at this yet?