cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from BW 7.3 to BW HANA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Can I get some information on the below points..

1. Procedure/ efforts for Migration from Bw 7.3 to BW HANA?

2. From BW data modelling perspective what are the additional efforts required after the migration?

3. And what abt the existing old BW objects like data cubes, DSOs, reports, process chains after migration to BW on HANA?

Thanks in advance,

Priya.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

The migration process involves the 'System Copy export' using SAPInst and then triggering the System Copy Export using the new SAPInst provided by SAP for BW on HANA. From the process point of view the effort will be same as any other DB to DB migration.

After migration to BW on HANA, from modeling perspective nothing changes and you see the same BW screen and apply same modeling concepts. However you can make DSO's and InfoCube's in-memory optimized (to speed up performane) but its not mandatory.

All objects in BW remaing the same, but internal structure of DSO's, Cubse will change oncethey are In-Memory optimized.

Regards, Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rahul,

But I heard in BW 7.3 HANA, new modelling objects hav been introduced. Or additional or diff types of infoproviders (cubes, DSOs) have hav been introduced. Is it true?

If yes then after migration can the existing cubes & DSO will be changed to those? or how is it?

Will those new functionalities be available to the old objects? or only to be created new Objects?

What I mean is that in BW 7.0 we had like write optimized DSOs, Direct update DSOs, etc. like that in BW HANA I heard they are some new type of infoproviders & any other objects? or any new functionalities of BW on HANA, will be only available to any new developments only?? Pl elaborate more

Regards,

Priya.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi priya,

You can also migrate the old cubes to inmemory opt cubes using the same transaction "RSMIGRHANADB".

Thanks

A.Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Priya,

If i have understood your question properly

1) In BW on hana do we have new DSO type?(like WODSO,STD DSO,DIrect Update DSO)

Ans) No. But in BW on HANA under STD DSO you will find an setting "In Memory Optimized" under settings.If user check that check Box then your DSO will become in memory Optimized.(i.e) The logic of calculating the changelog and the data storage of change log is chnaged.But end user point of view they need not to worry about anything they can use teh STD DSO as they used earlier without any change..If user opt.to go for InMemory setting then performance of DSO activation will much much faster.

2) After migrating to BW on HANA can I migrate my Standard DSO to in memory optimized DSO?

Ans) Yes You can transcation "RSMIGRHANADB".Migration of STD DSO to inmemory Opt DSO is only available from 7.30 SP 6 onwards.

3) In case of cube Do we have any types?

Ans. In case of cube from user point of view no chnage but whenever user created a cube it will be automatically InMemory Optimized Cube (ie) Cube will not have the extended start schema .Their will not be any dimension table,fact will directly point to SID table(like line item dimension)

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/e0c12a45-30f3-2e10-77a6-ae275fba0a23&override...

Thanks & Regards

A.Dinesh