Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Own Unit-Testing Framework in BRFplus?

majcon
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Community,

as interesting in TDD and in Unit-Testing with ABAP Unit, I found the Package SFDT_TEST very interesting in BRFplus.

As I understand there is the Report FDT_PROFILE to maintain the View FDT_TEST_PROFILE.

The values are used in the Report FDT_TEST_SUITE to start the marked Methods of the Values in the View FDT_TEST_PROFILE.

From my Point of View Unit-Tests are Documentation to understand the Functionality of the Framework-API...

Is any Documentation available to understand the core Architecture of this BRFplus-Unit-Test-Framework?

Thanks for any Tip...

Kind regards,

Damir

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

carsten_ziegler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

BRFplus makes strong use of unit tests. However the framework is very complex and by intention we do not release any details. The framework is not meant to be used by customers or partners.

However, we are working on a framework integrated into the BRFplus workbench to allow unit (=service/function) testing without the need to write any ABAP code.

If all works out as planned, this will be available on NetWeaver 7.0 Enhancement Package 3, second half of 2012.

majcon
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Carsten,

thanks for the answer an the great outlook.

In my opinion BRFplus offers two ways to implement Rules. One is the WebDynpro UI and the second is the ABAP API.

Especially the ABAP API (or better said the whole BRFplus-Framework), which is one of the best developed Frameworks from SAP, should offer some Customer or Partner Integration in the Unit-Testing area.

All the extensions and enhancements, which are really easy to implement, could be better tested with the same unit-testing infrastructure. But nevertheless, the intention of SAP to use the Framework only for internal stuff is also understandable.

I see a lot of improvements in a lot of Topics - be flexible an continue your great work!

Best regards,

Damir

carsten_ziegler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

BRFplus is still a new kid. It takes some time for penetration and partners to jump on.

Sooner or later a partner will offer some king of integration that goes beyond what we offer in the standard.

With respect to the internal UT framework. Pls understand that whatever we release has to be maintained and kept stable. Therefore, I rather wait some more time to see if it all works out as expected before I release something. Especially our UT framework that is quite complex.

rdiger_plantiko2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Damir,

I wonder why you are interested in the Unit Tests that the BRF+ team has used to develop the code of the framework itself! How could they be of use for testing your own code, which, as client code, is only making use of the framework?

How could it possibly be done to unit-test the implementation of a concrete BRF+ ruleset? One thing is clear: Since the tests should be seen as a kind of natural complement to the rules themselves, as a tool helping to implement the rules in a stable manner, the tests should also be somehow parts of the BRF+ application.

In particular, it should be possible to change them in any place where the rules can be changed. If a ruleset is changeable in production, then the tests should be changeable there as well.

In my eyes, this topic is not so important: Rules should be a short, human-readable notion for code part that are triggered in the background by the concrete definition of the rule. A typical usage example could be the triggering of different ABAP methods, parametrized and brought in a particular sequence by "meta-instructions" defined as concise BRF+ expressions in the language of the business. In such a case, unit tests seem to be more important for the methods running in the background than for testing the rule code itself.

Regards,

Rüdiger

majcon
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rüdiger,

I had no special intention to use the BRFplus-Unit-Testing Framework. As i mentioned, I´m generally interested in all kind of usage of ABAP Unit.

Nevertheless, two Topics could be of interest:

- sometimes Unit-Tests serve as documentation to understand the Sourcecode and I was generally interested which philosophy the BRFplus-SAP-Team uses

- for example: by extending some BRFplus-Expressions (or similar objects), it could be nice to use the integrated BRFplus-Unit-Framework

Kind regards,

Damir

ttrapp
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Carsten,

I couldn't find the BRFplus test framework in NW 7.31 and I think it wasn't announced offically. Is it the "curse of the backlog" of will be available in a later SP of NW 7.31?

Best Regards,

Tobias

carsten_ziegler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias,

It took us a bit longer to develop it. This is mainly due to internal change of priorities.

However, we are close to release it with a note, probably September 2013. The framework provides definion of test cases (inputs with expected results), use of variants for test cases and simulation, an API, an overview of test execution (several tests can be executed together), integration into the release workflow (DSM).

To use the test framework you need to have the NW DSM add-on installed. It requires DSM 1.0 SP2 which is available since July. DSM SP2 requires NW 731 SP8.

Regards,

Carsten

Answers (0)