cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between CDC and SCD type2

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am a new user of BODS and Have used SCD type 2 (delta's) capturing and loading the difference of data to targets.

Trying to understand the difference between CDC and scd type 2.

CDC says capture changed data, so i assume both are same, is that true?

thanks for the helpful info.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

CDC is Change Data Capture -

The CDC methods will enable you to extract and load only the new or changed records form the source, rather than loading the entire records from the source. Also called as delta or incremental load.

SCD Type 2 (Slowly Changing Dimension Type 2)

This lets you store/preserve the history of changed records of selected dimensions as per your choice. The transaction table / source table will mostly have only the current value and is used in certain cases where in the history of a certain dimension is required for analysis purpose.

Regards,

Suneer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to BODS so I need to know the working of Map CDC operation in data services.would  any one  please illustrate  with an example.

Regards,

Sunanda

santossh
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Varalakshmi,

Please refer below link:

Map CDC Operation - Enterprise Information Management - SCN Wiki

You can also download atl zip file for MAP CDC  & import in data services .

Regards,

Santosh

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

CDC- Change data capture is about the extraction from the

source database.It is used to incrementally extract changed or new records from a source, so that you don't download the whole database each time. Also know as incremental extraction.

while

SCD- Slowly changing dimension is about loading the target

database. It is a way to apply updates to a target so that the original data is preserved.

It is independent of the extract, it deals with changed data whether the data arrives in bulk or incrementally.

venkat_valeti2
Explorer
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

venkat_valeti2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Richa,

I am new for BODS.

What is main difference between Table comparison, Map operation and History preserving.

Thanks,

Venkat