Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help in choosing ideal career path

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sir/Madam,

I have done two PG's

MBA with Specialization in Human Resource Management (correspondence Mode)

M.Com with Specialization in Financial Analysis (University Campus / Regular)

And I have experience in Field Operations Department as Team Leader for three years

Now I'm in a bit confusion, in choosing ideal career path

Weather to go with HR or Finance side

And I wish/plan to do SAP module

The question which is making making my brain come out is, in present market situation and with future perspective...

Which path (HR or Finance) have better growth, pay scale & future...

Please help me... I'll be waiting for your invaluable suggestions and information...

Thanks a million in advance..

Raghuram Alla

<<email ID removed>>

Edited by: kishan P on Feb 21, 2012 2:28 AM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

0 Kudos

Hi Raghuram,

Both SAP HR or Finance(FICO) are in very much demand in the market. It is upon you to decide which

field you like to take.

Since your basic qualification is in Finance, it would be better you go in the Finance area.

If you are not very strong or not very interested in Finance, you can go for HR module as you

have a higher degree in that.

One things that you should keep in mind is, it is the domain experience that matters for you to grow

in any module in SAP. If you go in the proper career path and gain proper experience, pay scale wouldn't

be a problem for you in the future.

Regards,

Leon

6 REPLIES 6

0 Kudos

Hi Raghuram,

Both SAP HR or Finance(FICO) are in very much demand in the market. It is upon you to decide which

field you like to take.

Since your basic qualification is in Finance, it would be better you go in the Finance area.

If you are not very strong or not very interested in Finance, you can go for HR module as you

have a higher degree in that.

One things that you should keep in mind is, it is the domain experience that matters for you to grow

in any module in SAP. If you go in the proper career path and gain proper experience, pay scale wouldn't

be a problem for you in the future.

Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos

Thanks Leon,

I wish to choose to go with SAP HR/HCM module

And I have 3 years of experience in Field Operations as Team Leader, weather this would be an advantage for me

or shall I start again in field of HR. My aim is to become an SAP HR/HCM consultant.

Please help me.... your any suggestion will be a great help.

Thanks in advance

Raghuram Alla

Edited by: Raghuram Alla on Feb 22, 2012 12:02 PM

0 Kudos

Hi Raghuram,

Your experience really matters and it will give you an edge.

In the case of SAP HR/HCM or take any SAP module, your domain experience matters.

So you will have to learn the domain, its process, functional knowledge. You can try doing

the certifications and training for SAP HR/HCM, and then get in to the field.

Regards,

Leon

0 Kudos

Thank you Leon....

Thanks for every thing...

You are such a great help for me...

0 Kudos

SAP FICO is more in demand than HCM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have written an article on IT toolbox which gives folks new to SAP an idea of what a typical career path looks like. It can be found at http://it.toolbox.com/wiki/index.php/Advice_for_Recent_College_Graduates_(aka_%22Freshers%22).

Here's the short version

college > entry level non-SAP job (3-5 years) > entry level job as SAP end user (3 to 5 years) > SAP training and/or SAP certification (on the job or nights & weekends) > entry level SAP configuration job (1 to 3 years) > at this point you can branch to either entry level SAP consulting or to mid level SAP configuration with a company.

You seem to be at step two of the process. It's time for you to look for a job and an end user with a company that is either already running SAP or is in the process of implementing SAP. If you are extremely lucky and land a job with a company in the process of implementing and they're willing to include you on the implementation team as someone who knows the business processes in general but not SAP, then you can shortcut a bit, but that involves a bit of luck.

Please don't choose your future career based on what random folks tell you the future is in a forum. Regardless of anyone's predictions, the correct choice is the area about which you feel most passionate. Neither HR nor FI are going away any time soon, so your passion for one topic or the other will drive you to learn more and become a vital part of any company you join. Passion is the key.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

-Tom