cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate SAP Server to another domain - SAP Local installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I want to know if someone has experienced in migrating SAP server to another domain.Note that in this case the Note: 1233320 - Domain migration for SAP system

Doesn't apply because that note is for a SAP Domain installation, not for local installations.

I've checked some forums and notes. So far I've listed the following:

- Change the FQDN in the profile

- Change host file in the server

- For Diagnostics : Note 1070561 - SMD Best practice for planned domain name changes

- For XI/PI and the exchange Profile: check parameters *.name. http://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1943212

- Windows Servers: Request new License (does HW key realy change?): Not sure, but as per note 793649, the HW key will change

- SLD: Check the host name in tx. SLDAPICUST.

- Changes in SM59: Do I have to check one by one?

I want to know what I'm missing (if there's something) and if someone has done it before with success.

Cheers,

Diego.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

The hardware key should not change. The note that you saw is for business one, not business suite (r/3). As per note 174911, for NT systems, the hw key should only change once you perform a complete new installation:

WinNT: A string that depends on the NT installation is determined.

Only Windows uses a hardware key that does NOT depend on the hardware. A

new installation of Windows definitely causes the hardware key to

change.

Another contraint that I see on your migration is that once you change the domain the SID (not the SID for SAP, but the user identifier of the Windows) for the adm will change and you will have to redefine all the file permissions on OS level by hand...

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Maurício

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Maurico,

Thanks for your reply. I've also read the note 174911, but it's still unclear... anyway that point is low priority one, because request new licenses is straightforward. I did it before for HW migration (not Windows OS).

Regarding the user's id in windows, I think it shouldn't change, because <sid>adm is a local user, not a domain user.

Do you think it will change?

SAP only supports system copy when the migration is for SAP domain installations in order to cover the issue of Id changes without problems.

Cheers,

Diego.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diego,

If the adm and SAPServiceSID are local users, their unique identifier shouldn't change, as they do not exist on the domain, they will never be changed afterall. You will need only to worry about permission with the things that are really running under a domain user, because when you rejoin the domain, even though it's the very same user, the unique identifier will change.

Cheers,

Maurício

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In addition:

You made a very important point about the hostnames.

As you are migrating the domain, the FQDN of your hosts will change. I strongly suggest looking at this with care, specially in the following places:

- SM59, all the destinations that are being called with the FQDN and not only the hostname (which later on the DNS appends the FQDN automatically)

- Profiles: parameters such as icm/host_name_full, SAPLOCALHOSTFULL, SAPDBHOST and other parameters that might have a direct relation with the FQDN.

- RZ21 -> All GRMG scenarions, CCMSPING destinations, CCMS agents and this sort of stuff.

Also you should take care of external programs that register themselves on the gateway of this system as they could still be calling the old hostname.

I would strongly recommend you to keep a copy of the old domain DNS zone active for some time, while you are still performing the changes on the hostnames.

I guess this can cover a good part of it.

Have fun migrating your system.

Cheers,

Maurício