cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhancing standard data source (2LIS_13_VDITM)

vikram_kate
Participant
0 Kudos

I have a requirement whererin I need to enhance the standard datasource 2LIS_13_VDITM which is already being used for long time. The cubes associated with this datasource contains huge data. I have read that whenever we enhance the datasources, we have to drop everything and reinitialize the extractions which I don't think is a good idea in our case.

My question is that -- Is there any workaround for such cases ?

If anybody has done it like this, please do reply.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vikram !

Without deleting the data in an infocube, U can enhance the standrad Extract structure and make necessary changes in Infocube.

Before doing enhancement, stop posting data and make sure that delta que is empty.

Regards

Durai

former_member185837
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Mohan,

Vikram's issue is that he needs to consistently update also the data uploaded before the enhancement. With your suggestion only the future data will have the new InfoObjects.

Davide

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kate,

in blog area, under BI topics, you will find some related docs.

Some of these:

<a href="/people/sanyam.kapur/blog/2005/04/30/custom-fields-and-bw-extractors-making-a-mixed-marriage-work-part-ii">/people/sanyam.kapur/blog/2005/04/30/custom-fields-and-bw-extractors-making-a-mixed-marriage-work-part-ii</a>

<a href="/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/02/14/logistic-cockpit--when-you-need-more--first-option-enhance-it">/people/sap.user72/blog/2005/02/14/logistic-cockpit--when-you-need-more--first-option-enhance-it</a>

Ciao.

Riccardo.

Message was edited by:

Riccardo Venturini

vikram_kate
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you everyone for replies.

I am thinking of a soltion but don't know whether it is workable or not.

Create a new --

Datasource --> Infosource --> Updaterule --> Existing cubes

which will update (FULL) only the new fields in cubes without touching the existing flow. But I could see a problem/complexity here in creating a new custom datasource which will get the data from base tables which are used by standard datasorce.

Can anyone throw a light on the same?

Regards,

Vikram.

former_member185837
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Well, this approach could be possible, but my feeling is that it would be a long and quite complex process. Anyway the implementation difficulties can be evaluated only considering the real case (i.e. which fields you're going to add to the DataSource, from which tables they need to be populated, etc.)

My advice is to carefully consider alternative procedures.

- Is the new InfoObject a characteristic? Could that characteristic be an <u>attribute</u> of a characteristic already assigned to a dimension of the InfoCube? (see my previous post).

- Can the new InfoObject be derived from other InfoObjects which are in the current InfoCube's structure? In that case, have a look at <a href="https://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.comhttp://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f421c86c-0801-0010-e88c-a07ccdc69601">Using Loopback Processes in SAP NetWeaver Business Intelligence</a> and the corresponding weblog <a href="/people/dinesh.lalchand/blog/2006/02/07/loopback-process--follow-up Process - Follow up</a>.

Best Regards, Davide

Former Member
0 Kudos

Vikram

I have seen your reply, i just like to know how far your solution worked out.

Iam in the same situation to be faced know.if u can reply it will be very helpful for me

looking for ur reply

former_member185837
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Do you need to add a characteristic or a key figure? If it's a <i>characteristic</i>, could it be an <i>attribute</i> of another characteristic? If so, you could evaluate whether it's possible to enhance the involved master data datasource and to configure that attribute as <i>navigational</i>.

Davide

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vikram,

You are physically keeping the data in BW by pulling it from R/3.

Now you want to add one more field ,for the new data loads only you can populate this field.For existing data you can't.

If the field is populated using the fields which are already available you can use virtual char/key fig concept in BW side where you can specify some code to populate new field.It won't store data but it executes during run time and populate the values.

Hope it helps you.

Regards,

Vijay.