cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps to create a purchase order in SAP r/3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I need to create a purchase order in SAP R/3,I am very new to SAP R/3 just started using material managements module in R/3.Could any one please help me to know what all steps i need to take for creating a PO.Do i require some pre-requisite data in R/3?

Waiting for your reply!

Thanking you.

Regards,

Namrata.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Trigger

A purchase order needs to be created, and the vendor is known

Business Process Description Overview

A purchase order is a legal document issued by the buyer to the vendor to supply materials or service at the agreed price, terms and conditions. The Purchase Order forms the basis for all follow-on activities like Goods Receipt, Invoice Verification, etc. The Purchase Orders can be created directly by entering all the required data, copying already created purchase order, with reference to an RFQ/Contract or with reference to a PR.

Purchase Order creation is possible only if sufficient budget allocation is there for the Fund Centers. It is not possible to create Purchase Orders for a Vendor who is blocked for procurement or not maintained in source list for that item. Also it is not possible to create PO for Quantity more than the PR quantity.

All the price components which are to be paid to vendors and requires to be inventoried has to be included in PO.It is possible to add different vendors for delivery costs. The tax codes should be correctly maintained in PO for the purpose of Cenvat availment etc.

The payment term defaulted from Vendor Master or RFQ has to be verified and changed if required.

The incomplete Purchase Orders can be saved as HOLD document and later completed and saved thru Change PO menu

Input - Required Fields Field Value/Comments

Vendor Vendor number

Purchasing Organization 1000

Purchasing Group Purchasing Group code

Date Purchase order date

Account assignment category Where costs will be allocated

Delivery Date Anticipated Delivery Date

Plant For which plant we are buying the material

Output - Results Comments

Purchase order document Can be changed, displayed or printed which can then be mailed to vendor

Tips and Tricks

The Purchase Orders can be created directly by entering all data required for creating PO or by copying another PO or with reference to RFQ/Contract/PR.To create a purchase order by copying existing document (PO/RFQ/PR), you can either select the desired document in the document overview .and adopt it in the current purchase order in the right-hand area of the screen using the ADOPT button .In addition you can drag it onto the shopping basket symbol with the left-hand mouse button.

Click the Personal Settings button on the tool bar, this function is for default information for purchase order header data and also purchase order item data. This will reduce the amount of redundancy in the data entry, i.e. plant, company code.

One Purchase Order may be created for several purchase requisitions

Procedural Steps

1.1. Access transaction by:

Via Menus Logistics èMaterials ManagementèPurchasingèPurchase OrderèCreateèVendor/Supplying Plant Known.

Via Transaction Code ME21N

1.2. Double-click

On screen “Create Purchase order”

On screen select Domestic Purchase order in this screen . You can also select other document if you want to create other. Here drop down menu is available.

Click to enter the organization data.

Screen will change in the header; enter data as given in the table below:

Field Name R/O/C Description

Purchasing Org. R Enter the purchasing organization code.

Example: 1000

Purch. Group R Enter the purchasing Group which is procuring the material

Example: P01

Company Code R Enter the company code under which above purchasing

Organization is.

Example: 1000

After entering the organization data enter the vendor or material supplier in the field here drop down is available.click to see the drop down.

Search term O Text that describes the vendor in more detail.

Example: MICON

Vendor O Description of the vendor.

Example: 100008

Click .

System displays all possible entries available as per data entered

Restrict value range (1) 1 Entries found

To select required Vendor Click .

Click .

Vendor selected

Now go to ,here the system will pick up the data automatically from the vendor master but if you want to chane the data you can change the data. Here drop down menu is available.

Now go to to mainatin the text.

After maintaining the text if you want to see or change the vendor address click and do the amendments.

Now Go to and click to enter the Items and other data as per the table given below:

Account Assignement R Key that identifies specific settlement receiver types such as cost centers, internal orders, work orders, asset accounts, or project WBS elements.Example: K

drop down menu is available here.

Item Cateogry O How the procurement of a material is controlled.

Drop down menu is available here.Example: Standard

Material R Here you will enter the material to be purchased from the

Vendor.

Here also drop down menu is available. Use the following

to select the material. Example ZROH-DEMO

In the figure above enter the search cretira for the material for example ZROH-DEMO and click

. The follwing result will appear on the screen select the line item and click to select

the material.

Short Text R Enter here short description about the material,if the text is not

automatically picked up from the material master.

PO Quantity R Enter here quantity to be ordered.

Example 10

Order unit R Here we enter the order unit’s of measurement.

Here also drop down menu is available.

Example : KG

Category of delivery date O Here you can enter deleviery date format.

Example : Day format

Delivery date R Enter the delivery date. You can use the calender provided by

the system.

Example : 28.02.2006

Net price R Enter the net price of the material here

Example : 1000 INR

Material group R Enter the material group to which that material belongs.Here

also drop down menu is available. This field is also automatic

picked up field.

Example : M10001

Plant R Enter the plant code for which you are purchasing the material

Example : 1100

Storage location O Here you will enter where the material is to be stored. Drop

Down menu is available here.

Example WH01

Click Enter and system will give you message

You will now see the screen

Cost Centre R The purchase is done for which purpose. Here also drop down

Menu is available.

Example: 11050 for CDU/VDU /SGU OP

G/L Account R G/L account from which payment will be done.

It will be automatically be picked up from the material group

You can change it also.

Unloading Point O Specifies the point at which the material is to be unloaded.

Recipient O Specifies the recipient for whom the material is destined.

Click to see and to change the Tax Code at item level.

Select to view the taxes applied on the line item.

click to go back to the previous screen .

On the main screen in the same tab if you want to change the taxe select the tax code from the drop down available

After selection again, Select to view the taxes applied on the line item.

If you want to add more conditions click tab and enter the conditions from the drop down

You can also maintain the text at item level by clicking tab.

After completeing this all click to check wether here is any error in the purchase order , If there will not

any error then on the screen following line will appear.

If there will be some error the system will throw the message on the screen

select the line item and click to see the detail of the error.

close this window now and goto main screen to rectify the error.

After rectifying the error again click to check wether here is any error in the purchase order.

Now click to save the purchase order, after clicking the button the following message will appear

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I was successful in creating a PO even using BAPI's.

Really thankful for your help.

Thanks a lot again.

Regards,

Namrata Ambekar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Really very thankful for your information.It really helped me a lot and have successfully created a purchase order.

Now I have to create it using BAPI's.Could you please let me know the steps to be followed?

Which function module should i use BAPI_PO_CREATE or BAPI_PO_CREATE1 ?

Thanking You.

Regards,

Namrata Ambekar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

when create P.O you have to maintain the following information

Organisation Structure ( CoCode, Plant , Storage Location, Purchase Organisation, Pur.Group)

.Master Data : Material master, Vendor Master(XK01 or MK01)( some cases we will also create with out Vendor (Vendor Unknown)

Material Group

When create material master(MM01) you select organisation levels in this you have to mention plant, storage location.

Then select views, Basic Data,purchase , plant data, Accounts

Fill the mandatory fields.

you create the P.O with transation code ME 21N

This information most helpfull to u, please try it.

with regards

Vishnu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can find materials assigned to a plant in table MRAC

regards,

a.fahrudeen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ambekar,

To create purchase order you have to make use of the transaction ME21 or ME21N, the pre-requisite is you must enter vendor, purchage organization and purchasing group more over you have to specify material and that material must be assigned to particuler plant that you are going to specify in the purchase order.

if your working with 4.6c there must be IDES provided by sap, make use the data's provided in that link is given below:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/e1/8e51341a06084de10000009b38f83b/frameset.htm

regards,

a.fahrudeen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your help.

I had created few materials in MM.How do i assign a material to a particular plant,

where do i get the plant information as we have to specify this while creating a purchase order.

Thanks and Regards,

Namrata Ambekar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Namrata,

Go to this link http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/ff/516a6749d811d182b80000e829fbfe/frameset.htm

Then in your sap screen go to SAP menu -> Materials Management -> Material Master -> Material -> Create (General) -> MM01 - Immediately or TCode MM01.

Regards,

Joven

===============

Award points if usefull

Former Member