cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ODS

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi pals,

Where does key fields affects if I selected 5 instead of 16 or some other number less than 116 in ODS?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Key fields represent the unique records, its oppossite to the data fields.

For example, you have:

Client # - Country - $Sales

If you define Client # as Key Field you cannot insert more than 1 client with the same Client #. (Example: 100)

If you define Client # and Country as Key Field you cannot insert more than 1 cliente with the same Cliente # and Country (Examplo : 100 - Spain)

Regards

ASign points if useful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marcos Suarez

Thanks for your reply .

Can you please elobarate it bit more?

Regards

Niranjan

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

udayabhanupattabhiram_cha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi:

<i>Client # - Country - $Sales

If you define Client # as Key Field you cannot insert more than 1 client with the same Client #. (Example: 100)</i>

Data -

Client#, Country, $Sales

100, USA, 5000

100, USA, 1000

100, CANADA, 6000

If you select Client# as key and datafield for Overwrite, your ODS will have only 1 record with:

100, CANADA, 6000

<i>If you define Client # and Country as Key Field you cannot insert more than 1 cliente with the same Cliente # and Country (Examplo : 100 - Spain)</i>

If you select Client# and Country as key and datafield for Overwrite; In this case, you will have only two records:

100, USA, 1000

100, CANADA, 6000

Ram Chamarty

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Niranjan,

Key fields are like "primary fields" in database table. You would have only 1 record for one unque combination of the key fields. So if you have more key fields then you would have more records in the ODS and poorer the performance.

Hope this helps.

Bye

Dinesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Key fields, as opposed to data fields, define unique records in an ODS. Usually, you should only define a number of key fields necessary so that unique records are not overwritten. Too many key fields can slow down the data load process.