cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

POLL: Web Dynpro UI elements - enhancement proposals

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Web Dynpro developers,

please use this thread exclusively to give your input on the following questions:

- Which UI elements are you missing most in NW 04?

- Which functionality on the NW 04 UI elements are you missing most?

- Which UI elements do you find (too) difficult to use?

(Please keep in mind, that Web Dynpro is <b>not</b> a HTML-only framework, but tries to abstract from concrete client implementations)

Your input is highly appreciated!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (94)

Answers (94)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The most useful feature to me would be improved browser support. We are using Web Dynpro (7.11) not only in the intranet, but also for one extranet application. It is really embarrassing having to tell our business partners that they must use an outdated browser (IE8 or Firefox 3.6) in order to access our application.

I know that Netweaver 7.3 supports IE9 and Firefox 4, but to me the whole concept of requiring specific browser versions makes no sense. If I fake a Firefox 3.6 User Agent in Firefox 4 or Chrome, it works just fine. In my opinion, Web Dynpro needs just two rendering modes. One for IE6 and one "standards mode" based on the current firefox mode.

Just enabling firefox mode for all unknown user agents instead of displaying an error number, would already be a very useful and easy to implement first step.

Best regards,

Tobias Lott

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am not a great supporter of EVS and OVS.

Main reason being- it is not tab-accessible. This a main deadlock for user training, especially for users from legacy systems where pop-ups are foreigners.

As a substitute, i would suggest you to have an editable dropdown. aka - an input field where you can enter and based on the first few lettters entered, the dropdown is filterd for the user to select.

Also these pop-ups are a deadlock to many customers who do not wish to migrate their browsers to the latest versions/ patches, as there are one or two systems which do not support the new browsers in the enterprise.

I hope you will consider this.

Use case -

For a webdynpro form of 50 fields. 30 fields needs to have value helps containing more than 100 values.

In CE, it goes to an EVS. Think of training a user (who is comfortable with tabing the fields in a predefined order and selecting the values) to a new system where he needs to open 30 popups for each selection and that too scrolling the mouse from one end to another. One of the user comment - "I am terminating my gym membership :)'.

suggestion 2 -

Option to change a text view to label through the context menu like the way trans containers can be changed to groups or vice versa. Or Can you provide the option to replace a ui element with any other ui element?

This is helpful for a huge layouts.

Suggestion 3 -

Option in component controller to select a check box to see if the context element/ method needs to be reflected in the interface controller. (as it is already provided in webDynpro ABAP)

Sorry, I will try to read the previous posts fully. if these have been already posted or are already under consideration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to integrate Flex builder plugin in NWDS..,ie.., to bring all the UI component whatever in flex to NWDS.If its possible then the working world for NWDS will be different.

Thanks,

Arun.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Generally make components more flexible and extensible - with more events,

permitting to alter and add functionality from external functionality, like renderers, editors.

specially it is desired for standard components like MDM business package,

but WDJ controls as well may win from it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe this request that I've just posted, could be an enhacement.

Someone knows if it is possible to enable a set of prearranged text for doing a predictive search in an input field of web dynpro (as google)? Imagine an address book, after typing any letter it will begin to autocomplete with the options of names into the database, so you dont have to write.

Regards

SU

Former Member
0 Kudos

This feature (asynchronous input suggestion) is available since release 7.11 (7.1 enhancement pack 1). You can find a tutorial about this topic in the recently published [Web Dynpro for Java Demo Kit|;

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

- Which UI elements are you missing most in NW 04?

- Which functionality on the NW 04 UI elements are you missing most?

- Which UI elements do you find (too) difficult to use?

There are none specific which immediately comes to my mind. But I would like to convey that first time users of Webdynpro application are charmed by its effectiveness but laments the good look-and-feel of stand-alone JSP application.

Why not SAP provides (if possible) a iView template which would render Webdynpro UI's in customised CSS rather than the look-and feel provided by default/customised from Theme editor?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Some of the suggessions for Web Dynpro ABAP are

1. Option for Scrolling titles

2. Hiding the URL of the application

3. When we right click on the page some text is appearing.... ability to hide that text

4. Button styles Ex: rounded buttons ... some thing like that

5. Font Size / Font Color / Back Ground Colors / Back ground Images like water marks

Edited by: Manjunath CN on Dec 30, 2009 10:28 AM

Edited by: Manjunath CN on Dec 30, 2009 10:32 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Didn't read the whole thread, so maybe this has been asked for before: Provide a hook so the wd-validation can be used with custom validators. Its annoying to implement if/else checks in every actionHandler when the framework itself provides a validation step in the cycle.

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

This hook method has been introduced in 7.1 and is named wdDoBeforeAction().

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

It would be good to have the following functionalities as well.

- Export To Excel functionality in a table (like ALV)

- Expand and Collapse in the Form.

Thakns and Regards,

Arya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

My considerations, so far:

1. Most painfull case, when you need to work with Filters. It involves a lot of code when working with them, the Nodes get duplicated in the Context. I do realise there are coding alternatives to that, anyway, would be nice have some effort in this particular scenario;

1. AutoComplete: Based on Node/Property value; Common use, Input Fields;

2. ConnectionStatus: Be able to define the Connection Status element, which shows up in the round-trip. Also, the ability to customize it with an Image for example;

3. Inline Request Queue: Ability to queue the Request, non blocking UI's, and they would be processed in a FIFO scheme;

4. Effects: Configurable to be applied to an UI Component; (Slide, Highlight, Puff, Apear / Fade);

5. Table Columns Resize: Be able to resize the columns of a Table, ability to save column data in Cookies; (Using full qualified name + elementId as Name, etc);

6. Table Exporters: Ability to create an customized Exporter, I'm sure this is a requirement in many cases, everyone codes if differently. Would be nice having a "supported" and easy way to achieve the same results;

7. Border Panel: Bordered Transparent Containers;

8. Split Plane Panel: Split one Panel into two or more, with a rezisible dividing bar;

9. Series Panel: Panel repeater, having a Node as DataSource, ability to custom enter number of columns / rows; with Pagination capabilities;

10. Ajax Request: Provide capabilities to generate an Ajax only roundtrip, with a "re-Render" attribute to "re-Render" those exact UI elements in the browser after the roundtrip is completed;

11. Ajax Push: Ability to use a TimedTrigger push, with the same "re-Render" mechanism said above;

Some main considerations regarding client Events, actually, SUPPORT every single generated HTML event; - If the element has capabilities to generate "onBlur" event, give the ability to execute an Action for this event.

I think this is just a small list of "things" that WDP miss, I'm sure I could extend this list a lot. I'm currently working with WDP 7.0.15, so I'm not totally sure how's CE 7.1 EHP1 - I hope it's better.

One last thing, WYSIWYG in WDP is at least hilarious, developing the application. I've seen *rare* cases that things really worked as expected, stuff like "binded attributes" being displayed "full text" - Display what's possible, the developer can always "select" the UI element to see what that is referencing.

Hope it helps and more, I can see these stuff one day being implemented;

Rgds,

Daniel

PS: Can you please Edit and format this message? I can't format it, no matter what!

Edited by: Daniel Ruiz on Sep 17, 2009 1:13 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1.) I am finding it very hard to fill a simple dictionary type which has 200 entries from an excel sheet. It would be nice if there is an option to upload the excel sheet containing a column of values.

2.) And improving the table so that if a table cell editor needs to be changed - lets say from a text to a LinkToURL, I can right click and delete it. And then right click on the column and select "Insert Child" and select the LinkToURL from there.

Currently when I right click, the "Delete" option is disabled/read only.

Thanks

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not sure if these are already covered above...

1.) Ability to drag drop context nodes/attributes into different nodes.

2.) Ability to use context itself as a data source for Interactive forms/tables.

It would make the development more faster, and more developer-friendly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

It would be nice if we could change the Thickness of the borders (Table header borders, column borders), say while using grouped columns, to increase the thickness of the border between 2 column groups and also say to increase the thickness of the border corresponding to a column.

Regards,

Shilpa B.V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin Reichert,

Internationalization:

Without changing the language in browser tools how to get the appl in diff lang.

i.e, In "Log on" page if we select diff language then the application content should display in

corresponding language.

Plz help.

Regards,

Srinu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

The functionality I miss more are:

1- Using javascripts like features for client side validation

2- Scope of changing the font,color etc of UI elements as that is always the prime requiremnt of business users.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

ItemListBox behaviour not consistent. Please fix this:

We have ItemListBox(multi select), I/p field, button, button as part of UI screen.

When user uses keyboard

a) for selection of item in itemlistbox and

b) uses keyboard for going to next field

(i.e. in our case I/p field), selection can be tracked at server side.

Same behaviour is observed when mouse is used for operation a and b.

But if the user uses keyboard for operation a and uses mouse for operation of b, selection can't be tracked at server side.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

1. It would very useful, if are able to use custom colors for various ui element like tables input field, text view etc

2. It would very good, if are able to put some custom design partterns to screens.

-

This has not been offered by intent.

Edited by: Armin Reichert on Dec 23, 2008 11:28 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I can't find a reason to Web Dynpro not validate required fields automatically. I think when State of a InputField was defined as Required, so lifecycle could verify it the field was filled or not.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

A UI element using which we can browse through a folder structure and select a folder (not a file like in upload file UI element) is desirable.

Best regards,

Nakul

Former Member
0 Kudos

What I'm currently missing is a text editor like the one I'm currently writing this message in.

A text editor with buttons to make text bold, italic etc.

Or perhaps there is already such a component, but I've been unable to find it?

-

There is the FormattedTextEdit UI element in NW 7.1. Downport to NW 7.0 is underway.

Edited by: Armin Reichert on Dec 23, 2008 11:27 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

- ALVs ..... It is very difficult to create ALV type UIs We have it in WD for ABAP though but sometimes there is a need to do these in Web Dynpro for JAVA.

- Pop Up Windows. If they are flexible and easy to move around will dramatically improve the user experience.

- The IDE is still very difficult to use than the IDE we have in VB/.NET.Things like drag and drop.

It would help if most of the things can be done in a much easier way. This should reduce the time to create and design Windows and improve the efficiency dramatically.

-Regards

Avik

-

Ad 1: There exists an ALV component in WD Java but it is still only available internally.

Ad 2: Pop-up windows can be moved, resized etc. in NW 7.1.

Ad 3: Drag-and-drop support in the View Designer has been enhanced in NW 7.1.

Edited by: Armin Reichert on Dec 23, 2008 11:30 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

Some suggestions:

(1) The events like mouseOver and MouseExit

(2) The popup window invokes, we can not access the root view.

(3) user friendliness in handling popup windows.

Regards

- Vinod V

-

Ad 1: Probably not a good idea in a framework with server-side eventing.

Ad 2: To do what?

Ad 3: In NW 7.1, pop-up windows have been strongly enhanced, see article in SDN.

Edited by: Armin Reichert on Dec 23, 2008 11:33 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

hai,

1.In the context,each and every time I need to start from rt click and select value attribute.Instead there can be one place like where we add as many attributes required at one instance.

*2.In the case of input field when iam using value help as there is only on enter action a\iam not able to make some action take place on Select of the value help.So there can be some option provided for that.

Thanks and Regards

Sharanya.R

amolgupta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

i work in an environment where we use Onsite-Offshore model.

so the Web-dynpro applications that we work on need to be deployed tested and checked on the offshore server and then deployed and tested on the Onsite server.

and in 99.99% cases we get application change/modification requests.

so we have to change the J2EE engine and port specifications specified at...

Window -> Preferences -> SAP J2EE Engine again and again...

It would have been great if there would be facility to store the specifications for multiple remote systems and the ability to switch between them quickly....

it is sometimes irritating to do the switching manually more than 20 times a day.

regards,

-Ag.

-

The NW 7.1 IDE allows storing a list of remote systems.

Edited by: Armin Reichert on Dec 23, 2008 11:26 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I have worked before in MS Visual Basic and the best feature of that IDE is the Drag and Drop facility wherein you can simply drap the UI element and drop it wherever you want.

Web dyn por uses layout features like grid,matrix etc.

Having an unsymmetric layout is therefore a long procedure (sometimes frustrating).

Wouldn't it be awesome if we could simply pick up a button and place it exactly where we want without bothering anything else.

Also,if its width,height etc could be changed by dragging its sides instead of just by typing, it would be very helpful.

Thanks and regards,

Mayuresh Kanvinde

-

Absolute pixel positioning has drawbacks when it comes to localization. Therefore Web Dynpro by design uses layout managers which, when applied properly, give a correct layout for every used language.

Support for layout managers in IDE could be better, admitted.

Edited by: Armin Reichert on Dec 23, 2008 11:22 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Better rendering support for Windows Mobile hand-held devices. The PIE Client renderer does not support many useful UI elements and, out of the box, makes very inefficient use of the limited hand-held screen real estate.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin, my proposal its for the IDE.

1. I'd like to be able to wrap code blocks in regions on Web Dynpro, with the same functionality of #region used in C# on .NET.

Sometimes code become too large, and it would be nice to wrap those finished code areas that work fine. This way implementations will look smaller and we'll be able to focus better on the unfinished code areas which requires attention.

2. Also, about UI elements.. id like Inputfields activate EVS when using ISimpleTypeModifiable too, not only using Simpletypes. Or maybe enabling a .put("key","val") method on SimpleTypes.

Regards.

Julio Herrera

-

Ad 1: NW 7.1 IDE (Eclipse 3) supports source code folding.

Edited by: Armin Reichert on Dec 23, 2008 11:17 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Being able to temporarily <b>truly</b> disable automatic field validation by the framework.

which displays error messages on english but maybe our apps are multilanguage, besides we can custom validate those ourselves.

Im referring to empty numeric fields, illegal characters (no numeric), format in dates, etc.

Maybe if we were allowed to modify and customize those automatic messages, that would be an option.

I'd wish that could be done.

Regards

Julio Herrera.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been working a lot with business graphics element these days. It needs improvements for chart type speedometer (guages), this particular chart looks very ugly in webdynpro. I guess there is lot of scope for improvement in the business graphic element interms of customization options.

Regards

Firasath

kai_gutenkunst
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Firasath,

good suggestion. But do you already have some more concrete requirements, e.g. which properties/features do you require for the speedometer?

Please let me know!

Regards, Kai

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

The following functionalities would be very useful.

1. Having a server event generated when multiselecting rows in a table

2. Ability to move pop-up windows

3. Different fonts, font sizes for texts in a UI element

Also, having borders for transparent containers and groups would be great.

Regards,

Vaishnavi

-

Ad 1: Will be supported in NW 7.1

Ad 2: Will be supported in NW 7.1

Ad 3: You can use FormattedTextView or WebWidgets (NW 7.1).

Edited by: Armin Reichert on Dec 23, 2008 11:15 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Date field should have the ability to be able to navigate by year and not just month.

How do I select date 02/29/1600? from date field?

anand_nidamanuru
Active Participant
0 Kudos

1) OLE Support directly in WebDynpro (esp. for Outlook)

2) Tracking Keyboard events

3) A way to halt the execution of code after throwing modal pop ups and dialod boxes(I think this is very difficult to achieve as it hangs up all the resources of the app. server. But in normal SAP GUI it is possible). It will be very helpful for confirmation dialog boxes

-

Ad 1: Integration with MS Office can be achived using Office UI element or using ActionPad (e.g. to open Outlook Calendar from WD application)

Ad 2: In NW 7.1 there will be API support for hot-keys and access-keys.

Ad 3: Modal pop-up windows and confirmation dialogs are available since NW 6.40.

Edited by: Armin Reichert on Dec 23, 2008 11:19 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

I feel UI element FileUpload needs to be enhanced bcoz we cant keep track of keyboard events .i.e when on Inputfield if we enter some text i.e which is not the correct path of the file,its getting hanged.

Regards

Akshaya

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Here are some proposals.

1. Support for Java Script.

2. Tracking keyboard events.

3.Toopltip for Business graphics' elements

4.event for print button and it's visibility control.

5.Similar to link to url, button to url

6.Image tools like zoomin,out etc

7.Some tools to process xml

8. Inbuilt read/wite controls for all office elements

to be continued....

Regards

Fahad Hamsa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Two things, one UI element related, the other NWDS related:

1. A tie in method or methods (similar to wdDoModifyView) that lets you add html/javascript/css to the resulting outputstream in specific section...OR

the ability to add javascript and denote that javascript as the event handler for a component...

2. in NWDS the Add Child dialog box...it would be nice if it would accept more than just the first letter for searching (for example if I could type "trans" and it would continue to scroll until it hit TransparentContainer, rather than jumping to "t" then "r" then "a" then "n" then "s" eventually landing on ScrollContainer). I hope I was clear enough for you to understand what I mean.

Thanks for a great toolkit!

-

Ad 1: In NW 7.1 there will be a new UI element called WebWidget which allows embedding HTML and Javascript.

Ad 2: This works already as described. Just type the letters fast enough.

Edited by: Armin Reichert on Dec 23, 2008 11:07 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Armin,

I think in general things are easy to use.

One thing that I like to see is the dropdown UIs should have a multiple selection option and of course a function to return the selected list.

One thing I find more difficult to use is to construct a popup window for user multiple selection with sorting and filtering buildin. I have to construct six of this popup windows. The current canned tableSorter together with the onSort , onFilter is O.K. but I would like to see a better way to do it.

Regards,

siu wai yung

Former Member
0 Kudos

Enhancement to FileDownload control:

Implement an "action" property, like many other controls have, to allow a callback to application code when the user clicks on a download link. There are many application scenarios in which the application needs to take some action on download.

Thanks,

Kelly

Former Member
0 Kudos

-Provide a simpler method for referencing external Java code, e.g., jar files, class files in Web Dynpro applications. Such a basic Java development task as referencing external libraries is mind-numbingly complex in Web Dynpro. And fraught with errors. This should be as easy as it is in other Java development environments.

-Provide an execution / debug environment that does not require a mainframe to run on. There is not a single person in our development group that has sufficient computer horsepower to run the J2EE engine on his development computer. Given that it is not feasible to run the central J2EE engine in debug mode, we are back to using 1970's technology of placing debug output statements in the code for debugging.

Thanks,

Kelly

Former Member
0 Kudos

These are absolutely valid points, but off-topic for this thread.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Firstly, the building or re-building of a big Dynpro project, takes a lot of system resources, but still takes a lot of time.(The system is robust and fast otherwise).

Secondly, please provide some default functionalities to the Table UI element, similar to the ones avaliable to tables in MS-Word or MS-Excel.

<i>This is a repeated request from our clients</i>

Currently, the table can only be used staticly, and only to display data.

i know these have been mentioned earlier, but just to emphasise on its need:

1..please provide <b>Formatting functionalities</b> such as bold,italics, colors, size etc..for textview, inputfield, etc UI elements.

2..A <b>Grid or mesh in the layout-view</b> of a View(similar to the one present in Visual Basic). This would save a <b>lot of time</b> in desigining the layout. The user can then dedicate more time to the Business-logic and code.

3..Allowing Re-import of a web-service.

4..Allow <i>linktoURL or linktoAction</i> UI to be opened in a new Web-browser window. Clients have been requesting this funcitonality, so that they can right-click and open it in a new window.

5...Provide keyboard shortcuts for repeatitive actions such as saving meta-data, buliding, deploying, etc

These are the major issues that our team has faced.

I hope i have pointed you in the right direction.

Regards,

Hanoz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

If we are doing copy paste of UI elements to a new View, it is giving error like

exception in wdCreateUITree etc at design time because of the duplication of ID.

If we are copy pasting Invisible element, It is giving the error at runtime.

Regards

Fahad Hamsa

-

That's a bug in the View Designer which should have been fixed in the meantime.

Edited by: Armin Reichert on Dec 23, 2008 12:05 PM